My wife fell in love with....

This is a discussion on My wife fell in love with.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...my Ruger KP95. She has been wanting a 9mm of her own but none that we have rented felt good to her. She has shot ...

Thread: My wife fell in love with....

...my Ruger KP95. She has been wanting a 9mm of her own but none that we have rented felt good to her. She has shot mine before but stupid me, I asked if she wanted to try it since I put the new Hogue sleeve on. Now she loves the feel of the gun and I think the Hogue obsorbs some of the recoil or snap she was feeling in her hands. She usually just took one shot with my gun and would put it down and say it felt like it was too much for her to handle. Yesterday at the range she shoot mag after mag and was as happy as a little school girl because she finally found a 9mm she loves.
    The KP95 is my first and only gun that I just bought in July. I have ordered a holster for it and planned on using it as a CCW. I am just waiting for both the holster and the CCL to come in a few more weeks.
    Since she now wants my gun all my plans have changed. She said when I get my CCL I can get any gun I want that won't break the bank (she said this because of the guilt for taking my gun).
    So my first thought is GREAT. I have a few weeks to figure out what I want.
    Now here is my problem. I am left handed and she is right handed. So she can't use the holster I have on order.
    While at the range/gun shop I looked at the 1911s I have been wanting but when I put them in my hand I realized these are all made for righties and there is no way I can get one for me at a good price.
    So I checked out an XD45 that I've been looking at also. The problem I had with that is the slide lock is so small I can't use my left index finger to release the slide.
    I then looked at the Rugers. A P94 and a P90. The one thing I love about Rugers is ALL the controls are so easy to use for a lefty. I'm just not sure this would be good CCWs since they are so much more bulky then the KP95. Plus the price of bullets will prevent me from wanting to go shoot as much as I would like.
    So now it looks like I should just get another KP95 for myself. If I were to get something else and I'm not as happy with it as I am the KP95 I would be a little jealous (mad) of the wife for taking my gun. Which I have been nothing but praising over since I got it, since it is such a great gun.
    So it looks like we will be a two gun KP95 family. Hers and his. Hers will have the manual safety and mine will be one that I get with the decock only. I'll be able to use the holster I ordered and we should both be happy since we both love KP95 now.
    The good part that will come out of this is she is willing to give me her Bersa .380 as my truck gun when I get my CCL and I'll get a new gun.
    I just feel a little down because how often does a wife give you this choice in a lifetime? I have no time to really save up for something good.

pax
    Actually, if both of your hands fit the same basic gun, there's a lot to be said for matching guns: ammo purchases become easier, holster/gear can be traded around, and if for any reason either of you needs to shoot the other's gun, you are not going to fumble around with an unfamiliar manual of arms.

Even with you as a lefty & her as a righty, it's not so bad to have an available "spare" holster that goes on your "wrong" side. If you sprain your wrist or break your trigger finger, it's very useful to be able to swap to the non-dominant side for the duration.

But if it bothers you that much, ummmm. It is not at all difficult to run a 1911 as a lefty. Get an ambi safety (you should on a carry gun anyway), use forefinger or middle finger for mag release, and your right thumb to lock the slide open. Drop the slide using overhand. Sounds awkward, but I've done it and have seen it done very quickly and well indeed. All a matter of practice.

Still, IMO it's better to stick with a gun you love. Don't bemoan matching guns -- just think of all the advantages!

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    If she likes the P95 and you like it as well, go ahead and get matching pistols. You could also get yourself a PC9 carbine and use the mags from both pistols with the carbine. :)

Do you have the older style or the new style with rails/rounded trigger guard/stipled grip?
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Take full advantage of a rare situation....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I have the new style. It was hard finding a holster for it. Thanks to Kevin at K&D, he went out of his way to get what he needed to make my holster. It's because of that is why I would never think of cancelling my order.
    I see your points how two of the same gun can be a good thing for both of us. We both can shoot each others gun and we will have 4 mags total for our guns. I still want santa to bring me another tho.
    It was nice to see my wife appreciate my gun as much as I do. I was happy she was happy. And you know the saying, "if she aint happy, no one is happy".
    She's really not as bad as I may make her sound. I just like to make her happy. After 22 years of her putting up with me you gotta love her.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    I have the new style. It was hard finding a holster for it. Thanks to Kevin at K&D, he went out of his way to get what he needed to make my holster. It's because of that is why I would never think of cancelling my order.
    I see your points how two of the same gun can be a good thing for both of us. We both can shoot each others gun and we will have 4 mags total for our guns. I still want santa to bring me another tho.
    It was nice to see my wife appreciate my gun as much as I do. I was happy she was happy. And you know the saying, "if she aint happy, no one is happy".
    She's really not as bad as I may make her sound. I just like to make her happy. After 22 years of her putting up with me you gotta love her.
    Kevin does provide great customer service. I would advise that you get more mags.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Maverick, I bought these Mags and am quite satisfied with them.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/1448

Also got this holster for both my 95 and BT380

http://www.donhume.com/Products/Prod...m?ProductID=44

Love my P95 also.
    Life is too short to be serious!

Nothing wrong with getting a 2nd one. Ruger P95s are very good guns and plus they're super affordable.

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with two guns alike. Notice my signature, I have 2 SIG P239s. I carry the 9mm and my wife carries the .357 SIG. We will probably buy another before the year ends. I want my .357 SIG back. She would carry a 9mm if I had another. I tried to find another for her, but have not found another deal like I got on the .357 SIG. Whatever I can find at the right price will be what she gets - 9mm, .40, .357 SIG. She can shoot any of them well anyway.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    My wife keeps absconding with my guns as well. First it was a SIG 239 then a Glock 23, then a NAA Guardian....now she wants a 1911.........

So from now on I'm buying two of everything.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Sponsored Links