green or red laser??

This is a discussion on green or red laser?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; lookin to get a laser put on my glock was interested in a green one but i like the crimson trace that goes on the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: green or red laser??

green or red laser??

lookin to get a laser put on my glock was interested in a green one but i like the crimson trace that goes on the back of ur grip and i think they only have those in red. which would you prefer red or green laser? any input would help with my purchase thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gallardo.g23 View Post
    lookin to get a laser put on my glock was interested in a green one but i like the crimson trace that goes on the back of ur grip and i think they only have those in red. which would you prefer red or green laser? any input would help with my purchase thanks
    I prefer the rear-activated CT on my Glocks.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

ya i dont think id mind on color to much. but they sure make ur gun look cool.. i like ur pic also. where did you buy or order yours?

VIP Member
    ya i dont think id mind on color to much. but they sure make ur gun look cool.. i like ur pic also. where did you buy or order yours?
    I get mine straight from CT with a substantial NRA Instructor discount.
    Last edited by rstickle; January 19th, 2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Quoted language work around
    Tuco

Red it costs less.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    As far as color goes, I like green. I haven't looked into the options of putting a laser on a Glock so I don't know about the Viridian set-up for Glocks, etc. It may be horrific for all I know.

From what I can tell, the green is easier to differentiate but last I read, it has a downside. The last time I looked into it, green is temperature sensitive. The green lasers don't work as well when its below 30 degrees or so? I'm probably off on the exact measurement but its something like that.

With the temperature caveat being in place, I think the Veridians will work great in HD situations if you have a nightstand gun that's never going to leave the house. If a laser is going to be on your EDC, you may want to stay with a red laser.

Correct me guys, if I'm wrong - I'm sure you will.

ill havto look into it more. where i live in southern oregon it gets cold here in winters (like now) its been getting down to like 1 and 2 degrees here. and i use my glock for cc and hd as its the only handgun i got for now. so if cold effects the green lasers i would shy away from that!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    ill havto look into it more. where i live in southern oregon it gets cold here in winters (like now) its been getting down to like 1 and 2 degrees here. and i use my glock for cc and hd as its the only handgun i got for now. so if cold effects the green lasers i would shy away from that!
    I agree, you may want to look into it further before laying down hard-earned cash. Technology is always changing though so the temperature thing may not be an issue like it was a few years ago. It will, however, give you a place to start in your research. You may even want to talk to the Viridian people and ask them about it.

ya technology is crazy these days haha. i will do though for sure

I am going to give you something to think about before you buy a laser, any laser. Now I am going to make some mad with my statements. I would not buy a laser. They are a waste of money, money that you can use for a good pistol light, a good holster, and ammo. I base my statement from 35 years as a LEO. You do not see any federal agents with lasers on their pistols or rifles. They do not allow them. You don’t see any state and locals with them too. Well the ones that I have worked with don’t use them. There is a reason we do not use them. When it “hits the fan” you do not have the time to go looking for the little red/green dot. You have time to point shoot, nothing more. When we “raid” a house at zero dark thirty a good pistol/rifle light is what is needed. A laser is fun at the range shooting paper. At the range you got the time to pick up the dot and slow fire at the paper target. A laser is fun at home messing with the cat/dog. A laser is fun to show your friends. But when things go bad you do not have the time to find that small dot. You don’t have time to find the sights. You point shoot. I know on TV and the movies it looks cools and works every time. But this is the real world, not TV. If it was me I would spend my money on a good light, a good holster, and ammo. I would go to the range and practice point shooting at a target no more than 10 feet away.
    hartlathers and SwordMaster like this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

you need to listen to frankmako. I agree you don't need a laser, unless this isn't on a carry gun. But more than that, the legal implications should you use a laser equipped gun in a fire fight would be hard to explain. In one of my self defense classes the instructor, a very wise Milwaukee detective, was emphatic about not making any modifications to a standard firearm. Think about explaining to a DA why you need a laser on a handgun for self defense? No way you say it, will it sound good for you. I have many guns, none of them are modified for any reason.
    Once likes this.

well thats some good input and has got me thinking. that is true though i dont think i would wanto waist time looking for a green or red dot. i think i might end up looking at lights. or stocking up on more bullets and mags.

To the OP: don't let anyone tell you what to do, but listen to the above comments anyway. I have a green laser that I can mount on most of my weapons with various adapters, etc. It's bright, easy to see and really fun (haven't tried it in the cold, but perhaps I will now). However, I do not use it on my carry guns, nor my rifle, except for fun. I got it as a sort of training tool/toy and I'm glad that's all I expected from it. While I do agree with some that a laser can be a deterrent, I think you'll also hear here that one generally does not draw one's weapon to deter, but to stop a threat which means if you draw, you are in fear for your life or the life of another and you need to stop a threat with (potentially) deadly force. While this isn't true of all encounters, a great many self defense scenarios have you drawing on a threat which is extremely close, affording you little time to mess with an extra motion, unless you absolutely always, always, always draw that way and can do it quickly.

That being said, to each his own, don't let anyone tell you what to do, this post does not constitute actually legal advice, disclaimer, blah, blah, etc.

But in all seriousness, best wishes, have fun and be safe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hartlathers View Post
    you need to listen to frankmako. I agree you don't need a laser, unless this isn't on a carry gun. But more than that, the legal implications should you use a laser equipped gun in a fire fight would be hard to explain. In one of my self defense classes the instructor, a very wise Milwaukee detective, was emphatic about not making any modifications to a standard firearm. Think about explaining to a DA why you need a laser on a handgun for self defense? No way you say it, will it sound good for you. I have many guns, none of them are modified for any reason.
    How is a laser going to be "hard to explain"? If I'm in a fight for my life, I want to bring all the gun I can bring. My attorney assured me he will be able to explain my modifications to the police, prosecutor and if necessary, jury quite convincingly.
    Tuco

I think that the green is supposed to be visible at a longer distance, But like others here, I don't have any. More to go wrong. If you get used to using something and then for some reason it doesn't work, not good. like trying to change TV channels and after several attempts you realize the batteries are dead. Takes time to adjust to a new game plan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links