Marlin 1894C Rifle

Marlin 1894C Rifle

This is a discussion on Marlin 1894C Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So a Marlin 1894C .357mag rifle is like a .357mag handgun? You can use any .357mag & .38 ammo?...

Thread: Marlin 1894C Rifle

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar

Marlin 1894C Rifle

So a Marlin 1894C .357mag rifle is like a .357mag handgun? You can use any .357mag & .38 ammo?

VIP Member
    Yes, that is correct.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have owned one for a long time. Love it, shoots great.

I have one and its a fun little rifle to shoot. Very little recoil, most anybody wife or kids could shoot it. I have mine scoped and use Hornady Leverevolution. 140 grain at 1800 fps out the barrel and 1200 fps at 100 yards. If you have a 357 mag revolver this rifle is a must IMO.

Assuming your given firearm cycles that particular ammo well (which can be an issue for any given gun/ammo combination), sure. Same stuff, both in .357mag and .38sp.

BTW, if looking at the Marlin 1894 line, look into the issue of "bringing in two" (or, "bringing in 2") related to the carrier during feeding. The 1894's have had issues with jamming due to the timing being a tad off with the movement of the carrier. As with many issues with certain guns, it doesn't occur in anywhere near all of them. But it's something to be aware of. Some gunsmiths are well aware of the issue and claim they can address correction of it if it turns out that your given gun has the tendency. I've had a 1894 in .44mag that was a bit cranky on cycling with some loads (early on), but a 1894 in .357 that has never exhibited any cycling/feeding problems whatsoever. The .357 was smooth as buttah, by comparison.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Two of my grandkids shoot ours in SASS matches. It is a great gun. We only load one version of .38 special for the Marlin/Ruger Vaquero Cowboy match guns and we never have had a problem.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

You bet! They are a lot of fun and a versatile weapon too. I love mine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Definitely will shoot both. Great gun. Very fun.

Just remember when you go from 357 to 38 to 38sp, each will have a differnt point of impact. If you practice with 38 or 38sp to save a little money, you will have to adjust if you shoot 357 for hunting or self defense. I shot 357 to site mine because that is wht I used to hunt hogs and have for defense. I practice with 38sp and have to remember that you will shoot much lower at distance.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Great rifle, is accurate and smooth operating. I would reccomend for very accurate shooting and/or hunting that you use Hornadys Leverrevolution .357 Mag, 140 grain FTX ammunition. The plastic insert in the nose of the ammo gives better accuracy. This ammo is also safer in a tube magazine since the primer is only touched by the plastic end. A friend of mine has taken a large buck with this ammo.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    If you handload you can use the long case (.357) for everything bunny's to deer. But it will shoot both the .38 special & the .357 mag.

Sweet little carbine & very,very well made!

Sounds like what I've been looking for. Now where to find one ?

Neighbor's Henry has been back to the factory three times for feed problems with the .38Sp, finally decided
    to use .357 exclusively. Heard similar complaints about the Rossi.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Ive been looking these too, I'd rather have a marlin but favor the rossi for the better looking wood (marlins foregrip is kinda fat) but I have read rossi has feeding issues as well as QC problems.

they have a 16'' rossi in town ive been eyeballing as well as a 24'' oct barrel with case finish.

Links