Is it worth taking an armorer course?

This is a discussion on Is it worth taking an armorer course? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am sold on the Glock and AR platforms. Getting into the AR more, although seems like a bad time to ramp up. Many moons ...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I am sold on the Glock and AR platforms. Getting into the AR more, although seems like a bad time to ramp up.

Many moons ago I purchased a Glock armorer's course from AGI which was pretty good. It showed me how to completely disassemble the gun and then reassemble it. I also purchased the manual which made me a lot more confident in dealing with it. One reason why I like them so much. I can't seem to find it in other pistols such as M&P or XDs. Then again, I haven't looked to hard.

There is an AR armorer's course being offered in a few weeks. 2 days, 16 hours. I am wondering if I really need to know how to completely strip down and reassemble this gun. It could be fun, but there may be a shortage of parts for quite a while.

It is good to completely know your platform, but is an armorer's course "needed"? (Crap, I sound like Piers Morgan.) And how would you get a job doing it?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

never takin one but if one came up i would be all over both of them i like learning as much as i can, and especially about guns. i would if i were you

I took Glock's Armorer's Course in GA about three years ago, and it was well worth the money.
    The course itself was about 9 hours with a written test. It covered the history of Glock, the mechanics, trouble shooting, repairs, parts, etc.
    I learned a lot of info...I was impressed. Being in the classroom allowed for a lot of questions and discussion. It was very well done.
    I've been sold on Glocks ever since.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not needed, but it couldn't hurt. I took a SIG armorers course and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

If you want to take the armorer's course then you should do it. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun. However, if you simply want to learn complete disassembly/reassembly, there are probably some youtube videos that will cover it all for you.

VIP Member
    Yes
    any time you can learn something and be able to do something on your own it is worth it!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Yes
    any time you can learn something and be able to do something on your own it is worth it!
    YES. This +1000

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Any additional education is oftem times worth a hundred fold what you paid for it. A cheep electronics course in the 70s preped me for working on half million dollar machines today. If the opportunity presents itself, jump on it. Who know what may happen down the road.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Needed? No. Not with the huge amount of help and videos available here and else where on the 'net. But, its a good idea. Knowledge is power and you just cant put a price on it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    What could it hurt.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Never took an AR armorers course but have taken a Beretta and Mossberg course. They were great. They helped me become the Senior Armorer for the police force I am on. I wish they would send me to an AR course. We have a few officers who have their own ARs and are willing to use them for department use if the need arises. Are the courses worth it? If the instructor knows their stuff, absolutely yes.
    Last edited by Black Knight; January 19th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.

Take it man! I'd love to take a glock armorer course, and I haven't had the opportunity so if you have the chance to take an AR armorer course do it!
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

Links