Is it just me or....

Is it just me or....

This is a discussion on Is it just me or.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I carry a Ruger sp101 .357 magnum with a 2 1/4" barrel. On many forums I hear people describe the recoil as being "punishing", "painful", ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is it just me or....

Is it just me or....

I carry a Ruger sp101 .357 magnum with a 2 1/4" barrel. On many forums I hear people describe the recoil as being "punishing", "painful", or "brutal". I personally don't find it to be that bad; am I Superman or a there a whole lotta' wussies out there? Lest you think I am Superman, I'm 5' 9" and 130lbs. I also find the recoil from a .44 mag. Redhawk not "unmanageable". Just wondering...

Is it just me or....

New to the forum I see... strange way of introducing yourself, it is as if you are coming in just pick a fight ... Welcome I guess...
    PAPADALE1 and bigmacque like this.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Welcome from SC.

The pistol that works well for one person, may not work well for the next for a variety of reasons. It's nice to have options.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I felt my Blackhawk .357 with 4 5/8" barrel was more punishing than my BH .41 Mag with a 6 1/2" barrel. Not unmanageable, but definitely more punishing. It's all relative.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I carry the same gun, sometimes. I like the way it shoots and have no trouble with the recoil. What does concern me though is the flash and the noise. If I ever had reason to use this gun at night, after the first shot I'm afraid I'd be deaf and temporarily blind and unable to pull of a reliable second shot.

It's just you. Welcome to the forum!
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'm sorry if it seemed that I was trying to pick a fight. That was not my intention at all. I probably should have picked a better subject for a first post. Thanks for the welcome!

Distinguished Member
    Zachary there have been numerous posts here with this same theme. We don't always perceive things the same. You may consider the recoil of your gun quite manageable. Others may not agree. That's a good thing. Respect others and take their views as you wish. Welcome from the great state of Texas.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    It has a lot to do with personal perception and technique and how each individual's body handles stress.

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Magnums in my SP were not as bad as I expected, surprisingly. I don't think I would want to shoot magnums in an "Airweight" type. If you can and want to, that's all good.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I have found that pocket pistols in .380 can pack more felt recoil than many of the magnums. It is physicals, the mass of the gun reduces the recoil felt. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The energy passing backward into your hands is equal to that moving forward. The same amount of energy it takes to move something that is a couple of ounces a few inches will only move something a couple of pounds a fraction of an inch. So a large frame, heavy gun can actually have less perceived recoil than a small lightweight gun. Weight to energy ratio's. Also the area of the energy transfer can affect perceived recoil. The larger the grip surface in firm contact with your hands will spread out the energy more than a small grip surface that transfers the energy during recoil in a more focused manner.

Many many factors come into play on perceived recoil. In the end it comes down to what can you shoot reliably. Give me .380 that hits the mark over a .44 mag that misses.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
    I carry a Ruger sp101 .357 magnum with a 2 1/4" barrel. On many forums I hear people describe the recoil as being "punishing", "painful", or "brutal". I personally don't find it to be that bad; am I Superman or a there a whole lotta' wussies out there? Lest you think I am Superman, I'm 5' 9" and 130lbs. I also find the recoil from a .44 mag. Redhawk not "unmanageable". Just wondering...
    How does it feel after you put 150 rounds through it?
    DMan and atctimmy like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Welcome from Tennessee.

Never found the .357 to be "punishing" in any barrel lengh from snub to 4 inch. But im not recoil sensitive. Low light the snubs were flame throwers for sure as far as flash the 4 inch not so much. I always did notice that the ringing in the ears would be worse with a 357 than say a 45 or 40. But even a 38 snub is a flame thrower and rings my ears as well though not as much as the 357 Welcome btw

I put 100 .38 special rounds and 15 .357magnums through it the other day and felt fine . At $26/box , I can't afford to shoot 150 magnums at one time. I do think Dman's comment about grip surface area is correct; I've shot a .38 special airweight with fairly light loads in it and it seemed to bite the palm of my hand worse than my .357, and it had a much smaller grip area.(I would still like to have one; it would be an excellent ankle gun). ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links