Frustrated first purchases in Illinois!

This is a discussion on Frustrated first purchases in Illinois! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone! I am so glad to have found a forum such as this. Long story short, I am not looking to start a debate ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nmuskier

Thread: Frustrated first purchases in Illinois!

Wink Frustrated first purchases in Illinois!

Hello everyone! I am so glad to have found a forum such as this.
    Long story short, I am not looking to start a debate thread, I am merely searching for information.

I am 30 years old, recently joined the NRA, and am looking to make my first firearm purchase(s). First, in the great state of Illinois, I need to wait for my FOID card; it's now been over 5 weeks. Believe me, every day I am at the mailbox like a little kid. Anyhow, I am looking to buy a 4" S&W 686 Plus, and a Glock. The exact model Glock is still up in the air until I can shoot a few, but believe I have it narrowed to either a 23, 27, 36, or MAYBE the new 30S. That's not exactly why I'm posting this though.

My worries (admittedly perhaps due to ignorance on my part) are about the state I live in and magazines. Recently, I've heard talk about Illinois banning magazines- not just instating a capacity limit. This is what has my mind in a boggle unable to decide exactly what to do. This would be a substantial purchases for me, and I don't want to get buy a Glock only to have to get rid of it in a few months.

Also, IF there was some crazy limit like 7 placed on magazines, what do I do with a firearm which accepts 13 round magazines? Would the manufacture come out with lower capacity magazines, or would I have the 13 round magazines modified by someone? I'm so lost.

I am certain everyone here is in support of the Second Amendment, and as I mentioned earlier, I don't want to start something about how "they" can't do this or that. I am just here for some guidance about buying a magazine fed firearm in Illinois right now.

Thank you!!!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Welcome!

The ISP took their sweet time on renewing my FOID card so I had my state Rep send them a letter. Oddly enough, my FOID showed up a few days after that.

Any state level AWB or mag ban is VERY unlikely. Last year we came within a few votes of getting a very good CCW bill passed. As much as people on this forum like to rag on IL about our gun laws, they're really not so bad aside from the fact that there is no carry of any kind here.

Try a few Glocks out and get what you want. It would take a real swing in the state legislature for any sort of mag ban or restriction to be put in place.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    If you aren't carrying concealed, I see no reason to buy a subcompact. The G23 is a great pistol.

I certainly wouldn't buy a gun worrying about complying with future anti-gun laws. In fact, I'd make my purchase intent upon getting the best firearm (tactically) before gun grabbers pass such law. For example, I wouldn't buy a heavy MA compliant trigger because my state may copy that stupid law. That makes less sense than the anti-gun laws themselves. Get the best gun for your needs now.
    gregnsc likes this.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Welcome from Tennessee
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    I'd be easier to just move to Missouri and then you wouldn't have to wait for the state to bestow upon you a card that allows you to purchase a firearm!

Other than that, I can't help, but I feel for your plight!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

GH
    Move North, Marvin! WI has no such restrictions. Bring money, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Illinois has a total of 5 people working in the FOID dept at the ISP HQ in Springfield. With the state budget in a shambles that isn't going to get any better soon.

When you finally get your FOID card note the expiration date and make sure you renew 6 months in advance or risk becoming an accidental felon when your renewal is delayed. I had a guy that worked for me several years ago that renewed 6 weeks early and still was without a valid FOID for a couple of weeks. The good news is the FOID is good for 10 years if I remember correctly.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Move North, Marvin! WI has no such restrictions. Bring money, lol.
    I Rockford, and am planning on it within the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    If you aren't carrying concealed, I see no reason to buy a subcompact. The G23 is a great pistol.

I certainly wouldn't buy a gun worrying about complying with future anti-gun laws. In fact, I'd make my purchase intent upon getting the best firearm (tactically) before gun grabbers pass such law. For example, I wouldn't buy a heavy MA compliant trigger because my state may copy that stupid law. That makes less sense than the anti-gun laws themselves. Get the best gun for your needs now.
    What I mean is, If an uber low capacity law is instituted such as in New York, what will I do with a G23 with 13 round magazines? From what I understand, in New York they have 1 year to sell it out of state, turn in in, or have it modified. I am trying to find a happy medium here to put my over active imagination at rest.

Welcome from Tennessee.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar

Re: Frustrated first purchases in Illinois!

Quote Originally Posted by supermarvin76 View Post

What I mean is, If an uber low capacity law is instituted such as in New York, what will I do with a G23 with 13 round magazines? From what I understand, in New York they have 1 year to sell it out of state, turn in in, or have it modified. I am trying to find a happy medium here to put my over active imagination at rest.
    It would be hard to speculate what would happen if such laws were passed. You just have to make the decision for yourself on what you think could happen vs what you want to buy.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar

What I mean is, If an uber low capacity law is instituted such as in New York, what will I do with a G23 with 13 round magazines?
    You shoot a lot of bullets at the range.
    Then, it's up to you. Put on big boy pants. I can't advocate breaking any laws no matter how stupid and unenforceable.

Seriously, why get so worked up about what a bunch of hypocrites might do? Mags are expendable items.

Ok, I don't know if I really have an answer.

If I have a firearm that accepts a 13 round magazine, and there is a capacity law passed, what do I do with that. I too will not advocate breaking the law, no matter how dumb. But my question is, does / can that same firearm use a 10 round magazine, I am really clueless and trying to figure out how that might work. Wouldn't there be too much excess space? Please excuse my overly obvious ignorance.

Thanks again!

I don't know about Glock. Springfield makes a 7 round magazine for the XD -- I'm not sure if this is new or was made in anticipation of NY.

Also, I'm sure there are a million opinions on what laws might evolve. Who knows, even if a 7 limit law is passed it might grandfather in older magazines. Or maybe you would be OK if you only loaded 7?

Ok, I don't know if I really have an answer.

If I have a firearm that accepts a 13 round magazine, and there is a capacity law passed, what do I do with that. I too will not advocate breaking the law, no matter how dumb. But my question is, does / can that same firearm use a 10 round magazine, I am really clueless and trying to figure out how that might work. Wouldn't there be too much excess space? Please excuse my overly obvious ignorance.

Thanks again!
    First - Welcome to the forum!

Second - At this time Glock does not make a 7 or 10 round magazine, but since they are in business to make money, you can b et they will begin making 10 round magazines if such a law were to be passed. As far as there being too much space, I don't think Glock, or any other manufacturer, will care about the extra space.

That's like saying you can only put 10 gallons of gasoline in a vehicle that holds 15 gallons. What about the extra space? Who cares? Just load the magazine with whatever is legal and go from there.

Third - If a capacity law were to be passed, it would most likely have to grandfather in anything already in the marketplace. I don't see the rest od the U.S. going the way of Mr Idiot - Oops, I mean the NY governor.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links