Gun show safety check, ouch!

This is a discussion on Gun show safety check, ouch! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two people injured in accidental shooting at Raleigh gun show :: WRAL.com I think I'll stick to the lgs, no safety checks there....

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By KoriBustard
  • 1 Post By mbguy29577

Thread: Gun show safety check, ouch!

Two people injured in accidental shooting at Raleigh gun show :: WRAL.com

I think I'll stick to the lgs, no safety checks there.
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    Two people injured in accidental shooting at Raleigh gun show :: WRAL.com

I think I'll stick to the lgs, no safety checks there.
    Absolutely. Leave loaded guns holstered.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Absolutely. Leave loaded guns holstered.
    Could be hard to holster a shotgun.

Every gun is loaded.. isn't that one of the rules?

I read that they expect the show to continue tomorrow without private sales. How do they expect to prevent private sales. Maybe it is no private sales within the boundaries of the show?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Wow, the level of stupidity of which people are capable never ceases to amaze me. Guy wants to sell a gun and fails to unload it at home? I'm struggling to even think of what was going through his head (if anything at all). The number one obligation of every gun owner is to store, transport, and operate his/her firearm safely. He should not be allowed to ever own a gun again IMHO.
    tony1990 and Tzadik like this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Could be hard to holster a shotgun.

Every gun is loaded.. isn't that one of the rules?

I read that they expect the show to continue tomorrow without private sales. How do they expect to prevent private sales. Maybe it is no private sales within the boundaries of the show?
    I was referring to the practice of making CHL carriers unload and run a wire tie through the barrel.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I went to a gun show today here in SC, and they had a big sign posted outside the door that we couldn't even concealed carry, carry any loose ammunition, etc.. basically NO guns that aren't checked, secured, and for sale entering the building.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I was referring to the practice of making CHL carriers unload and run a wire tie through the barrel.
    The story was regarding a shotgun that was brought in loaded and people couldn't keep their finger off the bang switch. It is people that decide to do stupid stuff like this that cause the wire through the barrel.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I went to a gun show today here in SC, and they had a big sign posted outside the door that we couldn't even concealed carry, carry any loose ammunition, etc.. basically NO guns that aren't checked, secured, and for sale entering the building.
    Gun shows here do the same thing. I kinda lost interest in them here not for that reason but many others.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

The Raleigh news channel WRAL is my internet homepage. I'm pretty tired of logging on and seeing headlines of accidental shootings in NC. In this case both the gun owner and the guy at the door who failed to verify the weapon was cleared before allowing him to enter need a huge boot in their ass! The wizards of smart in DC don't need our help right now with reasons to ban guns. Let's all remind our fellow gun owners to get back to basics and follow simple safety practices like knowing whether your firearm is loaded and where your fingers are at all times.

I also lost interest in going to these shows. Lots of talk and then a big disappointment. Tables full of junk, not the best prices, too many people crammed in there. I order stuff online or just go to a local shop who I'd rather support. Gladly pay $20 more for a gun to avoid these hassles.
    cmdrdredd likes this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    Gun shows here do the same thing. I kinda lost interest in them here not for that reason but many others.
    yeah I think that was my first and last show for quite a while.. sadly I didn't see the sign until I'd been in line for an hour and a half waiting for the show to open (I was one of the first 30 por so in the door) and by then of course, I couldn't leave the line to put my EDC back in the car, right? LOL

...besides, their sign didn't meet state standards for force of law, technically speaking.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    I arrived at the show shortly after this happened, a couple of people that were nearby said the Deputy had removed the magazine from the shotgun then placed a zip-tie around the trigger when the discharge occurred. A couple of radio stations and News 14 immediately blamed the ND on a semi-auto handgun. Something does not add up, I have been to this show many times an have never seen anyone place a zip-tie around the trigger, on handguns they either run them through the magwell or through the barrel. Long guns are usually secured by running a zip-tie either through the action and the magwell, bolt guns they usually run the zip-tie through the trigger guard and up around the bolt handle.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I arrived at the show shortly after this happened, a couple of people that were nearby said the Deputy had removed the magazine from the shotgun then placed a zip-tie around the trigger when the discharge occurred. A couple of radio stations and News 14 immediately blamed the ND on a semi-auto handgun. Something does not add up, I have been to this show many times an have never seen anyone place a zip-tie around the trigger, on handguns they either run them through the magwell or through the barrel. Long guns are usually secured by running a zip-tie either through the action and the magwell, bolt guns they usually run the zip-tie through the trigger guard and up around the bolt handle.
    It was a shotgun with a magazine? Okay, that makes it even more egregious! I was picturing a semi-auto or something with the action closed. My goodness, how hard is it to remove a magazine that is so obvious...and clear the freaking chamber! This is incompetence at the highest level.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    It was a shotgun with a magazine? Okay, that makes it even more egregious! I was picturing a semi-auto or something with the action closed. My goodness, how hard is it to remove a magazine that is so obvious...and clear the freaking chamber! This is incompetence at the highest level.
    That is what I was told. The only shotguns I can think of with a mag are the old Mossberg bolt actions and the semi-auto Saiga but there is no excuse for not checking the chamber.

VIP Member

Update

No charges to be filed.

Charges won't be filed in Raleigh gun show shooting

Raleigh, N.C. Wake County's top prosecutor will not file charges in a weekend shooting at a Raleigh gun show that injured three people.

District Attorney Colon Willoughby said Tuesday that he found no violation of law in what authorities said was an accidental shooting at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show at North Carolina's state fairgrounds on Saturday.
    Charges won't be filed in Raleigh gun show shooting :: WRAL.com

Links