30/30 lever action

This is a discussion on 30/30 lever action within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Rossi 357 on order though I have not agreed to buy it yet. I want to see it first. It is supposed ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 30/30 lever action

I have a Rossi 357 on order though I have not agreed to buy it yet. I want to see it first. It is supposed to be in this week.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    It may just be time to move.
    OD* likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Look around for a older Winchester 94. The new Winchesters are WAY OVER PRICED! $1100 before all the gun nuttery since December. For that money you can get a old Winchester & a new Marlin. Then you'd have TWO!

If you find one in rough shape you can even 'modernize' it......I took a old ratty one, parkerized it & put camo'd synthetic stocks on it. (That way you'll give Coumo, Schumer & Blooming-idiot another firearm to target....because it just looks more deadly than a regular one.....)

Marlin is also a good route to take (new or old).

The new Mossberg & Rossis seem to be okay & are a lot more reasonable in price.

If you live in New York or Massachusetts, the pistol calibers lever guns will likely get you in trouble with a magazine capacity of more than seven!
    Attached Images
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    I agree I have Big Boy 45 LC I also have Puma 480 Ruger with scout scope. The Mossberg is out collapsable stock is not legal in NY is it? If it is legal I would not worry about owning one they are good company. I like accessory rails. Henry is a good choice as well. I would look used they are all over the place.
    I have seen the mossberg in a lgs here in nys, and the stock was not collapsable.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Look around for a older Winchester 94. The new Winchesters are WAY OVER PRICED! $1100 before all the gun nuttery since December. For that money you can get a old Winchester & a new Marlin. Then you'd have TWO!

If you find one in rough shape you can even 'modernize' it......I took a old ratty one, parkerized it & put camo'd synthetic stocks on it. (That way you'll give Coumo, Schumer & Blooming-idiot another firearm to target....because it just looks more deadly than a regular one.....)

Marlin is also a good route to take (new or old).

The new Mossberg & Rossis seem to be okay & are a lot more reasonable in price.

If you live in New York or Massachusetts, the pistol calibers lever guns will likely get you in trouble with a magazine capacity of more than seven!
    lever action guns are not limited on number of shells. Semi auto shotguns are though. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I have seen the mossberg in a lgs here in nys, and the stock was not collapsable.
    The Mossberg 464 SPX has a 6-position collapsible stock.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Marlin 336 is an excellent choice. I had a Marlin 357 and foolishly parted with it.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    The Mossberg 464™ SPX ™ has a 6-position collapsible stock.
    Collapsible were always illegal in NYS, even before the new gun bill. All stock rifles that come with a collapsable stock are nys compliant, and are in a fixed position.... that has not changed. My smith and wesson m&p 1522 was like that also, not moveable.
    "6 P's of self defense "

OD*
    You poor New Yorkers.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Bunker, if you are going to use this as a defensive gun pistol caliber is the way to go. If you are primarily a hunter 3030 or 4570 are hard to beat. If its going to be a combo gun Id suggest 44Mag, 45 Colt, or 3030. Any of those three can be loaded down to minimal recoil and up to heavy game getters. I have 3030, 45 colt, and 4570 in lever guns. The 3030 I load 110 gr FMJ bullets for a small game round and 150 or 180 gr bullets for larger stuff. In 45 colt I load 160 gr lead bullets at 900 fps for small game up to 300 gr. the 300 grain load turns the carbine into a 4570 lite! With the lightest loads the 45 Colt recoils like a 22 magnum! That's why my Wife likes it so much. I have and shoot both the Winchester and Marlin guns. Both are solid performers. If you ever want to scope it get the Marlin, if open sights are what you like either are fine. I have no experience with the Mossberg But I have shot a few Rossi and Henery guns. Both have held up in CAS competitions, So I would not shy away from one if the price was right. DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Bunker, if you are going to use this as a defensive gun pistol caliber is the way to go. If you are primarily a hunter 3030 or 4570 are hard to beat. If its going to be a combo gun Id suggest 44Mag, 45 Colt, or 3030. Any of those three can be loaded down to minimal recoil and up to heavy game getters. I have 3030, 45 colt, and 4570 in lever guns. The 3030 I load 110 gr FMJ bullets for a small game round and 150 or 180 gr bullets for larger stuff. In 45 colt I load 160 gr lead bullets at 900 fps for small game up to 300 gr. the 300 grain load turns the carbine into a 4570 lite! With the lightest loads the 45 Colt recoils like a 22 magnum! That's why my Wife likes it so much. I have and shoot both the Winchester and Marlin guns. Both are solid performers. If you ever want to scope it get the Marlin, if open sights are what you like either are fine. I have no experience with the Mossberg But I have shot a few Rossi and Henery guns. Both have held up in CAS competitions, So I would not shy away from one if the price was right. DR
    I want a 30/30. I dont have a single large caliber weapon. In my part of NYS, there is no legal rifle territory for hunting big game, only shotguns and smokepoles. But, you can hunt coyote with a rifle, and open sights is what i would prefer. I will keep my eyes out for a used one in good condition. It will most likely get beat up a little wlaking in woods anyways. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

336 in thudy-thudy

I have the Mossy 464 SPX and am pleased with it. Very light, has fiber optic sights, easy to shoot and accurate. Got it for $400 used. My small 18 yr old daughter even liked shooting it...especially since the stock can be shortened.

30-30 is a good choice but for SD the 125 grain loadings are the best hyper velocity and fragmentation make it good for that task.

The Mossberg is an excellent choice but like I suggested the Henry is also good smooth as silk action.

I love a 1-2.5 scout scope on any lever action but open sights with XS ghost ring and post is an excellent choice.

Yea they knock you down but do not let them politicians knock you out.

Was just thinking the Browning lever guns are another consideration. They have some really great calibers including 223 and 358 stainless steel take down models with composite stocks. Detachable magazines. Worth looking at.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links