30/30 lever action

This is a discussion on 30/30 lever action within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now that the NYS bill has erased much of my "wish list", i think i will focus on something that i can still buy legally, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 30/30 lever action

30/30 lever action

Now that the NYS bill has erased much of my "wish list", i think i will focus on something that i can still buy legally, that i have wanted to purchase for some time now. I want a 30/30 lever action rifle, but am unsure what manufacturers i should avoid, and which ones i should look at. The Mossberg tactical lever action 30/30 looks neat, but i am leaning towards a good old fashioned wood stock 1895. Any suggestions? thanks. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

I would think about the Winchester trapper models in a handgun caliber like 357 Mag so you can load 38 special that way over penetration is not an issue. I would also get a big loop lever easy to use and even in stressful situation you can manipulate a reload. The other consideration would be after market rail or fore grip so you can mount a light or even laser.

By the way Marlin make few short barreled pistol caliber lever actions too.

If you go 30-30 go with the 125 grain HP.

I'd stick to Marlins and Winchesters - plenty of them around. The Rossi/Taurus and Mossberg lines haven't been out long enough to get a good reading on their quality or durability.
    oneshot likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Those are nice guns! My brother has a Winchester 30/30 that he is going to trade me for my mossberg 500 shotgun, all it needs is a new firing pin, and the Winchester model is a great brand. He's had it for 5 years, my uncle had it for 15 and its never needed anything except this firing pin.
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

just checked buds guns and they dont have any in stock... surprise surprise. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I'd go .357 in Marlin or Winchester. I've seen some Rossi model 92's in .357 that I thought were very good as well. I own aWinchester 94 in .357 with a big loop lever. I don't think any legislature is ever going to rule against this kind of "cowboy" gun. They are also damn fun to shoot.

...Henry is like a Swiss watch...out of the box...awesome company....30-.30, .44, or .357/38...check 'em out...you get what you pay for...

I agree I have Big Boy 45 LC I also have Puma 480 Ruger with scout scope. The Mossberg is out collapsable stock is not legal in NY is it? If it is legal I would not worry about owning one they are good company. I like accessory rails. Henry is a good choice as well. I would look used they are all over the place.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    If your looking for a piece of history to add to a collection, its hard not to own a Winchester Model 94 ... It is the gun that won the west 'ya know. If your looking for a shooter, my preference would be the Henry. Good luck in your selection.
    Last edited by Rcher; January 19th, 2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: sp
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

What about Kittery Trading Post? Have you tried them?

New: Kittery Trading Post

Used: Kittery Trading Post Used Guns Home

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    just checked buds guns and they dont have any in stock... surprise surprise. bunker
    Well, panic buying, you know. I hit a big-box store and two local gun stores looking for a measly pound of Unique powder today - came up short (big surprise), but the stores were still packed.

I suggest looking at the "secondary market" - pawn shops, Craig's List, bulletin boards at your local range, etc. Be patient and "your" gun will turn up.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

marlin and winchester are both good guns. you can not go wrong with either.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I saw a Marlin 336 at Cabela's the other day. I was a little interested then, but now there are all these lever gun threads popping up. I think it's a sign to buy one.

30/30 lever action

I love my 94 Winchester. I also love my dad's Marlins. I read Marlin was purchased recently by another firm and quality had declined a bit so do some research. if I had the funds, an 1894CSS 357/38, a 336 in both 30/30 and 35Rem, and a big loop 1895 45-70 would be in my safe.

I haven't read the NY laws closely yet. Are the handgun caliber Marlins kosher with their high magazine capacities because they're not semi-auto or are they on the no-fly list also? you could do a lot worse than an 1894 or 336 for a defensive rifle.

A Marlin 336SS owner here...a great rifle that has proven itself down through the decades.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links