Is 3 mags enough?

This is a discussion on Is 3 mags enough? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Totally up to you. If the funds are there, go for it. If not, wait. I have a few guns that have 5 mags and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is 3 mags enough?

Totally up to you. If the funds are there, go for it. If not, wait. I have a few guns that have 5 mags and others just one for now. I am hoping if something happens, I will be OK with 1 or 2 mags.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

2. Remove Ads

My XD9 4.5 came with two 19 round mags. I just bought 6 more for it. I'm keeping them in their packages for later...in case I can't buy more later. All of my other pistols I have between 4-6 mags for. If I plan on keeping he gun, I plan on having enough mags to last a lifetime.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Very good points guys...
    Thanks

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    If you are ever in a situation, where you go through 43 rounds of pistol ammunition, the problem isnt that you dont have enough mags, its that you needed a rifle.

If getting a rifle is fiscally impossible, I would suggest a shotgun, if that cant be done, then sure, buy more pistol mags.
    This here. Mags can bend/brake or go bad, so it's good to have spares.
    For carry, if you've expended 3 mags and still have a problem... well, you won't have for long.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I've always preferred having 4-6 magazines at minimum, for any carry gun I have. In a couple instances, I've had more than that (though it was overkill). Helps ensure I've got spare parts, in a pinch, without impacting my carry gear including a couple of spares; it allows me to rotate the magazines, to help regularly "exercise" them to ensure they're all functional and reliable.

My "math" has generally been: 2-3 mags for carry; a couple of spares; a couple more as backup, or spare parts instead of these. That'll pretty much cover anything you can think of, short of outright failure of the economy and zero future access to spares.

If you're not going to have a good number of spare magazines, at least have spare parts around. Followers get dinged and damaged, for example. Check Wolff springs, for after-market alternatives for mag springs. Keep the mags cleaned and very lightly lubed to ensure consistent, reliable operation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you wait to buy mags you may be limited too 10 rounders. I say buy them while you can.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I carry 3 spare 8 rnd mags for mine for a total of 4 mags or 32 rounds
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

VIP Member
    The weakest link in any semi auto is the magazine. I don't carry an extra mag for round count, I carry it in case of a magazine malfunction. I'm not going to take the time to try and fix it, just drop and reload with a different one.
    kapnketel likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Buy as many as you think you need. For that's one; for others that may be as many as they can get. Instead of dropping a bunch of bucks for spares on hand, maybe a couple extra mag springs and followers. Much less than mags.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Doesnt hurt to have a few spares on hand. You dont have to carry them all at once. But in case one gets damaged youll have a replacement.

VIP Member
    I think you are covered for SHTF. Assuming 2 hits apiece to take the zombies down, that is 15 bad guys. You go up against 15 bad guys in one encounter with a pistol, likely you have lived your last day on this rock. Ain't gonna be a Hollywood movie happy ending.

Administrator
    I wouldn't be overly concerned with mags, those are things you can pick up as you go when you find a good deal or have a few extra bucks burning a hole in your pocket. With all that said, my personal minimum is 5. 2 for carry, 3 more for range and carry rotation
    "Just blame Sixto"

These types of decisions are always difficult, especially when balancing a budget is such a major consideration.

My take on the situation right now would be to consider the current political climate. I think today I would buy 2 higher capacity mags now while I knew I could get them and at todays prices.

Keep in mind I use my PX4, 9mm for competition shooting. I have 6, 17 rounds mags and recently purchased 2, 20 round mags for it.

Where did you find $29 mags for your PX4?

I have 3-4 mags for each semi automatic but I'm shooting for 4-5 each. Reason is so I can keep 1-2 filled with self defense ammo all the time and the others with range ammo. My plan was to just put a dab of white paint on the range mags so I dont waste the more expensive ammo at the range.

But will keeping the mags loaded all the time wear out the springs or make them unreliable?

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I would say it depends on your other resposibilities. If it's just you and you want mags you can't really afford,the solution is easier. If you have a family to consider, they are more important that a one in a million SHTF scenario. Besides, if you get off 43 rounds, your either going to be out of trouble or dead.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links