Is 3 mags enough? - Page 3

Is 3 mags enough?

This is a discussion on Is 3 mags enough? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by KyBill I have 3-4 mags for each semi automatic but I'm shooting for 4-5 each. Reason is so I can keep 1-2 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is 3 mags enough?

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    I have 3-4 mags for each semi automatic but I'm shooting for 4-5 each. Reason is so I can keep 1-2 filled with self defense ammo all the time and the others with range ammo. My plan was to just put a dab of white paint on the range mags so I dont waste the more expensive ammo at the range.

But will keeping the mags loaded all the time wear out the springs or make them unreliable?
    My personal thought, no "scientific data", on keeping mags loaded is that simply keeping a spring compressed does not weaken the spring. It is the cycle of compressing/decompressing the spring that causes the spring to weaken.

...that is correct...I've read the science on it...I leave my mags full all the time...I've got 21 but only carry 3 spares...a few more stashed in the truck...and scattered through the house...never had a mag fail me...yet...

The statistics on police gunfights haven't changed, or not very much, over the years. 3-5 rounds, in 3-5 seconds, at 3-5 feet. I'd venture a guess that most CCW uses of deadly force mirror these statistics pretty closely. But do you really want to bet your life on it? Nah, me neither.

Three magazines is a starter set, and plenty, in most cases, for your everyday carry. Lots of cops don't carry any more than that, but have more in their go bag, or in the trunk of their cruiser, along with a patrol rifle and/or shotgun if things get really tough.

If I were you, I'd wait for the panic buying to ease up, and then I'd add another handful of mag's to your stash. Really can't have to many IMHO. Keep them in a safe place (gun safe preferably), and leave them unloaded, or at least under loaded, to take the pressure off the spring. I'd then rotate my loaded mags with my spares occasionally, just to know they all work.

Another tip I'd offer, is mark each mag, with a number or a letter, so you can tell them apart. Nothing more frustrating at the range then to have a mag failure, and then the bad one gets mixed in with the good ones.

Be safe.
    Snub44 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I have 5 mags for my PX4 9mm (17 rounds). I never carry a spare, even though I probably should. I have 3 that I use regularly and 2 that sit on a shelf just in case one of the others break.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Wolff Springs, reccommendation on extending spring life, etc. From Wolff's FAQ section, see #5:

Wolff Gunsprings - Firearm Springs for Semi-Auto Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles, & Shotguns
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    A long time ago a cop friend showed me how he rotated his carry ammo. He carried a Para Ord 1911. He had 1 mag in the gun, 1 on his belt, 1 in the car, and another at home. The one at home was empty, when ammo got beat up from chambering it several times He would put it in the empty mag. When it filled up he would take it to the range. I didn't keep one in the car so 3 mags made sense for me. DR

...thanks for that, OldVet...I been reedicated...my source was, in fact, long ago and pertained to the .45 Mags...sounds like I need to treat my hicap P95 mags differently...nobody knows springs like Wolff!!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Wolff Springs, reccommendation on extending spring life, etc. From Wolff's FAQ section, see #5:

Wolff Gunsprings - Firearm Springs for Semi-Auto Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles, & Shotguns

Well there as cheap as they'll get right now..$29 bucks on Beretta...Normally $34 from BEretta..And $50 at sports store.
    And thanks for more input guys.

I haven't read all the posts so I don't know if this has been said or not. I prefer eight mags per pistol. Three mags for carry ammo and five mags for training and range use.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I have 4 mags for every semi-auto, One in the gun, 2 loaded in reserve, and one resting unloaded.

So maybe 3 for carry/range use.
    And 1 for like a backup extra.

I mght just do that..
    and to I want to get a couple extra mags for my Neos,you go through bullets quick,and with an 10 round count..
    Gets old reloading..
    Anyway

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links