Is 3 mags enough?

Is 3 mags enough?

This is a discussion on Is 3 mags enough? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok so I have 2 mags that originally came with my Px4 .40 and am looking to get more.. I dont mind having to reload ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is 3 mags enough?

Is 3 mags enough?

Ok so I have 2 mags that originally came with my Px4 .40 and am looking to get more..
    I dont mind having to reload at the range a little more and have less and not a crap load of mags.
    Plus I could'nt afford to shoot like that anyways..
    But For any SHTF type scenerio purposes I can see that being the only way to go..

Anyways I should get my rebate back from Beretta shortly and am thinking of just getting one more..Atleast for now..
    It seems to be a very well balanced number.As I can have one in the pistol,and two in my mag holster ready 2 go..
    There 14 rounders so thats 43 all together(thats with 1 n the chamber) and thats not too shabby..Needing any more then that is a straight Apocolypse..
    Some people said well I would invest in mags for a rifle..I DONT HAVE ONE...Nor do have the money for one anytime soon..
    But just talking handguns and this being my only main weapon, whats your idea.

So I can either get 1 and get a couple other things that'll be useful or I can get 2..
    Hmmmmm
    Just If I have 3 on me what do i do with the 4th one..

NMB
    If you are ever in a situation, where you go through 43 rounds of pistol ammunition, the problem isnt that you dont have enough mags, its that you needed a rifle.

If getting a rifle is fiscally impossible, I would suggest a shotgun, if that cant be done, then sure, buy more pistol mags.
    Rollo and ctr like this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

If you have the chance to obtain more mags, I'd say go for it. Just bear in mind the longer you wait, the more they cost. For SD in my professional career, I have always carried 3 spare mags. (total 4 carried) Just me. I still carry 3 spares.
    Snub44 and Secret Spuk like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I would think 43 rounds would get you to a point either your dead or the zombies present have been dispatched. Im not for under loading but with 43 rounds of 40 cal Id be pretty comfortable I could fight until the end of the encounter. Little Big Horn notwithstanding

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I dont know anyone nor have I ever heard of anyone being in a gunfight and saying ... "damn, I had too many bullets". Carry what you feel is necessary and prudent to protect you and your loved ones.
    KBSR likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Fla
    I carry 1 spare mag for my 9mm, a spare for my BUG 380 and when I carry 3 firearms I carry 2 speed strips for the 357 mag. That's 43 rounds. If I need more that about 10 rounds of anything, my little fanny is going to be looking for the fastest way out of there.
    Short answer no spare or 6, it is whatever you feel comfortable with.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

i also only have 3 mags for my glock 40 cal. to 13 rounders and 1 22 rounder. i would like to get more soon though

Thanks Guys appreciate all your input..
    Especially with this ban goin on.Puts alottt of pressure on it to..
    Well I still have awhile before my $50 rebate comes in so I have time to think..

My post was sort of tongue in cheek. If you feel the need to have that much firepower do so. I have in the past and more just not my normal amount. Carry on smoke em if you got em

VIP Member
    I think that's plenty for "carry." But I would prefer to have a spare or two, as mags are more likely to be your point of failure. Plus, I just like having a lot of mags. :)
    gasmitty likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I was going to say "I don't think anyone has ever regretted buying "too many" mags" but then I realized a bunch of people bought pmags for $75-100 each... so that probably won't be true for much longer...

But yes.. I'd pick up an extra mag or 2
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Well I wanted to get a couple other things for the gun..
    Do you think it might be a smart idea to just jump on these mags when I can maybe..

It really depend so the situation. I have 5 mags for most guns. As of now that satisfies me for the range as I have less to reload. Carrying is another deal and it is obviously less, but I lie having extra mags, specifically for saving time at the range.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I feel fine carrying 2 mags for reloads/jam clearance - but I sure wouldn't want to own one pistol and only have 3 mags for it. I'd say 5 would be a reasonable amount - 10 is better, of course. A shotgun could be had for the price of a few magazines with todays prices...

Austin

Well my mags are $29 right now a piece.
    I wish I could get a shotgun for the price of 3 of those..
    Anyways I am young,raising a child,struggling to put it short..
    and Id rather get a Shotgun or another firearm than just buy a crap load of magazines I may never use..
    3 for carry but 4 might be better just to have

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links