Barrel Polishing Anybody

Barrel Polishing Anybody

This is a discussion on Barrel Polishing Anybody within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Whats your take on it.Is it ok to do. Id have it done professionally. But I was thinking of having it plated with cera-plate or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Polishing Anybody

Lightbulb Barrel Polishing Anybody

Whats your take on it.Is it ok to do.
    Id have it done professionally.
    But I was thinking of having it plated with cera-plate or something..But thought I'd like to just get it polished.
    Does anyone have a polished barrel

VIP Member
    Many years ago I built a 220Swift on a 09 Argentine Mauser action. I used various grades of sandpaper to smooth the barrel ending up with 1200 grit to bring it to a nice polish then bluing it with Oxpho Blue. Still have the rifle and it still has a nice deep blue and polish.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Depends on the gun and what your point for doing it would be. I had a cheap 1911 that had a parkerized barrel. It is a poor finish IMO for a carry weapon and especially on the barrel. So I polished it (and the trigger and guide rod) with a dremel. But is was good quality steel underneath. Here are the results.....
    Attached Images
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

WOw looks nice smolk..

And I just really like what It looks like.And I dont live in a humid environment..At all.
    And dont put it through enough or carry it enough to worry about rusting or whatnot..
    Plus I always keep mine oiled/cleaned/Prestine as I can.

And I'd rather have it polished,then another coating put on top of the one I have already..

Quote Originally Posted by drinknshoot View Post
    WOw looks nice smolk..

And I just really like what It looks like.And I dont live in a humid environment..At all.
    And dont put it through enough or carry it enough to worry about rusting or whatnot..
    Plus I always keep mine oiled/cleaned/Prestine as I can.

And I'd rather have it polished,then another coating put on top of the one I have already..
    I live in the most humid of humid places. I carried the gun in the picture everyday. It never rusted, not once. Did the same to another 1911 and never had an issue with it "in the white". THAT is not a real concern IMO.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Oh ok..
    Well sweet sounds like a plan then

I just want to get my barrel and all my components polished.And leave everything else black..
    It'll look Sleek
    Also with a SS guide rod..
    Thats the plan,eventually

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have polished a few barrels and slides in my time, in fact I just did a my LCP. Soaked it in vinegar and then buffed it out on the polishing wheel with jewelers rouge to a mirror finish.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Awesome man..
    Yeh I cant wait to do mine..I'll have someone do it though to be safe

Semichrome works great i polish all mine all you have to do is keep light coating of oil.

I dont have a polisher either..Is it all that hard..?

The process isn't hard it's just time consuming. You pay a lot to have someone do it for you because it takes a lot of shop time. Round barrels are easy to do, you just polish like you're shining an old shoe, back and forth with finer and finer grains of sand paper. If you blend it carefully you'll have a fine surface to reblue or just leave as is. For other parts use a sanding block to keep the surface flat so it looks nest. In any case you'll save a lot by doing it yourself. All it will cost is a $5 pack of various grades of sandpaper and your time.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Well Sounds good..And something I might very easily look into...
    What about the vinegar method to unblue..And just to make sure your barrel is plugged up.

I polished the barrel of my Hi-Point. Sanded off the paint and used progressively finer sandpaper to 1200, then finished off with polishing compound. I don't think I'd do it on a nice gun, but a Hi-Point? What's to lose?

IMG_1996.jpg

Well I think If it was done professionally On a nice gun it would be just fine..
    I would'nt want to risk me doing it..

How you go about polishing greatly depends on the finish that is on the firearm. Bluing can be easily removed with a number of solvents. Parkerization is easy to brush off with steel wool or really high grit sandpaper. Glocks or M&Ps with the tenifer or melonite will require more elbow grease to remove the finish. All you really need to get for a fine job is a dremel tool and a little patience.

If you have access to a bead blasting cabinet, that would be ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links