How many rounds?

This is a discussion on How many rounds? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Where I used to live, I was able to shoot in an old stone quarry. I had no time constraints and could take my time. ...

Thread: How many rounds?

How many rounds?

Where I used to live, I was able to shoot in an old stone quarry. I had no time constraints and could take my time. I
    have since moved to a residential neighborhood and don't have access the quarry. I will be using a indoor range nearby
    My question to you guys is, how many rounds are you generally going through in a one hour session at the range?

2. Remove Ads

I dont do ranges since I have five acres and can shoot safely out here in the sticks in my back yard. About all I can say is that in an hour Ill probably go thru more rounds here than at at a range. Min would be a 100 more like 300. If I have a friend or two with me it woudnt be unsual to go thru 1000 or so rounds between us in an hour of 380 9mm 40 and 45 combined.
    I cant afford that kind of ammo dump a week but one couple I shoot with here comes over with a trunk full of ammo to burn in those calibers and they can afford it.

my local range doesnt have a time limit so i stay 2 hours or so an put 200 thru my 1911 (5 8rnd mags) and 250 thru my 10/22 (5 25rnd mags)for a total of 450 in 2 hours.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Quote Originally Posted by lizard75 View Post
    My question to you guys is, how many rounds are you generally going through in a one hour session at the range?
    Depends what I'm focusing on. Breaking in a gun, I'm often just blasting rounds through to smooth things up. When focusing on specific technique, I'm generally taking my time to ensure I'm getting the benefit of the exercise in question (mag swaps, clearing jams [simulated], multi-target engagement while moving in simulated situations, whatever). Much of that doesn't take gobs of shooting to accomplish.

On average, probably ~100-150rds per hour, I suppose. Sometimes quite a bit less, depending, often more. Often, usually, I am dealing with at least a couple different guns as well, and the focus might be different with the other gun. So, I might do ~50-80rds through my carry gun in a series of drills stressing technique, but say 300rds through a new pistol I'm breaking in.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Like ccw9mm, 100-150 rounds in an hour on an average. Some trips will be more, some will be less.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Re: How many rounds?

Normally 150-200 rounds per hour.

VIP Member
    I try to keep round consumption in my edc's to around 1000 rounds/month.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I usually fire about 200 or so. Depending on what type of targets I am using. If I am firing an AR it is a little more.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

I'm in the 100-150 / hour range for handguns. Less if I'm setting up sights, more if I'm letting off steam.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

I'm hard on cash as of late so I can really only go once or twice a month and I'll shoot 100-150rds in a half hour-one hour session.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One if it's on target.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

100 - 150 in a hour.

Links