3 People Injured At Local Gun Show (Raleigh, NC)

This is a discussion on 3 People Injured At Local Gun Show (Raleigh, NC) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm Well, that's just it about forced tying or other safety precautions imposed upon people when they enter: to catch the "stupid ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 3 People Injured At Local Gun Show (Raleigh, NC)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Well, that's just it about forced tying or other safety precautions imposed upon people when they enter: to catch the "stupid and foolish" who have not otherwise thought of it themselves.

Of course, the responsibility is their own, that of each person who chooses to have a firearm.

In a population of 300M, it's not unlikely to have one or two folks blowing their responsibility each weekend. Just as in a population of 300M it's likely there's going to be a few thousand miscreants actively seeking to prey upon others. Neither of which says anything about the larger population, anymore than saying knowing a couple blonde+blue types who are a few cans short of a sixpack means all blonde+blue folks are that way. Pointless stereotypes are just as meaningless when speaking of firearms ownership, and all the more infuriating because it's a protected right of citizens here.
    Bad statistical math. You need to use gunowners as the population since this applies to gunowners only. The sad fact is though that gunowners come from all parts of the 300 million of us and that I am losing faith in the intelligence of this country specifically and the human race in general. What is so hard about following the simple rules of firearm safety?

Guns are just like cars and booze....they should not be banned and they should be used responsibly.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

Instead of a background check there should be a 'stupid check'.

This is exactly why I'm now uncomfortable going to my local range. SO many people with poor gun handling I'm surprised there aren't more examples of accidental shootings.
    suntzu likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Instead of a background check there should be a 'stupid check'.

This is exactly why I'm now uncomfortable going to my local range. SO many people with poor gun handling I'm surprised there aren't more examples of accidental shootings.
    Gravel pit shooters. That is what I call them. People that taught themselves how to "shoot off a gun" or had one other person as aware as them there "teaching" them. No need to develop good muzzle awareness, no range master or guy next to them to threaten to beat them to death with it if they didn't keep it down range or treat it with the same respect you would if it was loaded. Same folks drag their firearms to gun shows. Or it was someone on the other end of the scale-so much time around the gun that they rely on habit rather than conscious effort ("Heck no, I ALWAYS unload it before I put it away....how did that round get in there?") and the result is that those of us in the middle get made to look like morons. Or get shot standing in line at the gun show.
    What Would Gumby Do?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Gravel pit shooters. That is what I call them. People that taught themselves how to "shoot off a gun" or had one other person as aware as them there "teaching" them. No need to develop good muzzle awareness, no range master or guy next to them to threaten to beat them to death with it if they didn't keep it down range or treat it with the same respect you would if it was loaded. Same folks drag their firearms to gun shows. Or it was someone on the other end of the scale-so much time around the gun that they rely on habit rather than conscious effort ("Heck no, I ALWAYS unload it before I put it away....how did that round get in there?") and the result is that those of us in the middle get made to look like morons. Or get shot standing in line at the gun show.
    When I was active duty we had a saying “Complacency fills body bags”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links