7 9mm or 7 45acp? - Page 3

7 9mm or 7 45acp?

This is a discussion on 7 9mm or 7 45acp? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If my mag capacity were limited to 7 rnds I would change my edc to my Kimber Ultra CDP. I sometimes carry it anyway, and ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 7 9mm or 7 45acp?

If my mag capacity were limited to 7 rnds I would change my edc to my Kimber Ultra CDP. I sometimes carry it anyway, and I would rather have 7 .45's than 7 9mm's. That's just me.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

7 9mm or 7 45acp?

I'm already NY compliant (although I don't live there). 9mm isn't one of my options. 45 and 10mm are the two I have to choose from, both in a 1911 platform.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I like a .45, but it really wouldn't make a difference to me as I carry both now.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The stupidity in NY just got me to thinking. If you were forced to give up hi capacity, would it influence your caliber choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    Equal capacity, largest bullet available
    When the "wonder 9" phenomenon got sideswiped with the 1994 AWB, pretty much this is what occurred: the flow of the higher-capacity, double-stack 9mm pistols slowed, and many moved to larger calibers given the reduced capacities. It's early yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if folks in the "restricted" zones will go through much the same thinking this time around.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'd simply carry my XDs more often. With the flush mag it holds five with one in the pipe for a total of six; with the extended mag it has the seven round limit in place already.. If I had to pick seven of this or seven 9mm, I'd go with the .45ACP. While I think seven 9mm rounds are just fine for a defensive pistol, in fact I carry my Sig P938 all the time and it fits the restriction perfectly. My problem is with the word "restriction" how dare they put such a ridiculous restriction on legal gun owners, like the bad guys are gonna adhere to such a limit to avoid a fine..... Just plain dumb.
    WE0H likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    When the "wonder 9" phenomenon got sideswiped with the 1994 AWB, pretty much this is what occurred: the flow of the higher-capacity, double-stack 9mm pistols slowed, and many moved to larger calibers given the reduced capacities. It's early yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if folks in the "restricted" zones will go through much the same thinking this time around.
    This. My personal view is this, it really doesn't matter, at the end of the day shot placement is what stops a threat. Whatever comes down the pike as a limitation; practice, practice, practice. Now, for someone who has worked over the years with non-standard response, it does become more problematic (Mozambique drills). It's not something that is insurmountable.

I'll definitely be working timed shots and timed reloads with my SP101 and GP100, that's for sure!
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

IMHO, the current crop of 9mm defense ammo presents such a small level of comparative compromise to a .45 acp that I would likely still carry a 9mm. Yet, if limited to 7 round mags, I think the size of my 9mm handgun would reduce correspondingly. The Kahr P9 comes immediately to mind.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Ruger GP100 in 357 with the hottest load available from my armory.
    Shot placement is absolutely necessary, so six shots should do the trick, even in New Jerk State.
    Maybe opening the eyes of N J Voters will eliminate the necessity of these conversations after the mext election.
    Will definitely stay out of New Jerk, and New Jerk City. Sheep are not my cup of tea when it comes to associating with
    intelligent people!
    Stay loaded and stay safe. TKH

RKM
    I'd pick up a G36 and call it done.

I at times prefer the 9mm over the .45 because of higher capacity and lower recoil, meaning I can shoot it faster and more accurately. But the little Glock .45's, recoil so soft for a .45 caliber that I can shoot them quickly and accurately as well. While I think that the performance between 9mm and .45 is negligible, I do believe that the .45 does have an edge. Given the same capacity, I personally see no need to go down to a 9mm, unless it allows you to carry a much smaller gun, which in most cases it does. But I don't need anything smaller than a G36.

I currently go back and forth between my G19 and G30SF. I carry my G19 more because of the capacity and I can shoot it a bit more quickly. But I shoot both my G30SF and G19 about the same. The main advantage I see over the .45 is capacity. And as I said, the little Glock .45's shoot so soft, I swear they recoil less than my full sized non-Glock .45's, including 1911's.

I have no doubts a 9mm would stop a threat. But the .45 I do believe has an edge over the 9mm, and since you're no losing capacity, and I can personally shoot the two calibers about equally, I'd have to go with the .45... G36.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    IMHO, the current crop of 9mm defense ammo presents such a small level of comparative compromise to a .45 acp that I would likely still carry a 9mm. Yet, if limited to 7 round mags, I think the size of my 9mm handgun would reduce correspondingly. The Kahr P9 comes immediately to mind.
    My thinking is the exact opposite. If I were restricted to only 7 rounds of 9mm, I would want as much of an edge as possible. By INCREASING the size of the firearm (within reason, of course) I can maximize accuracy and speed, not to mention muzzle velocity. So, if I carried a small sub-compact 9mm, I would want to go UP in frame size.

Personally, though, I am already good to go with my .45's. I just REALLY hate being told what I can and cannot do.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

If ya gonna go, may as well go BIG. Desert Eagle .50.

Seriously, I'd stick with my CM9 for the same reason I went with it to start with, size.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

Number of rounds doesn't matter it matters how well I shoot the pistol, if all was equal besides the caliber I would go 45 auto.

BAC
    Given that there is so little difference in terminal performance between popular pistol rounds, which one can you produce the most effective hits with the fastest?
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

My choice would be a S&W 686 3-5-7 w/125gr .357 (devastating) if the width of your carry isn't important or the M&P45c w/230gr Gold Dot should you prefer a Slimmer carry

I like a .45 but a 9 is fine.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links