7 9mm or 7 45acp? - Page 4

7 9mm or 7 45acp?

This is a discussion on 7 9mm or 7 45acp? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 12 gauge Equal capacity, largest bullet available Unfortunately when you move to the .45ACP from 9x19mm, you gain mass, but lose velocity. ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 7 9mm or 7 45acp?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    Equal capacity, largest bullet available
    Unfortunately when you move to the .45ACP from 9x19mm, you gain mass, but lose velocity. The 9mm, especially in +P, is a faster moving round, leading to superior penetration.. particularly for barriers, with bonded HP ammo.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

7 rounds of 45 acp any day!

Modern 9mm ammo is pretty good now a days. A hit with a 9 beats a miss with a 45. And smaller guns are more controllable. With pocket sized guns Ill take a 9mm. And scince ny only allows 7 rounds if you have multiple attackers your behind the eight ball. Id move.

Location, location, location...biggest gun in the world is useless if you don't get the hits center of mass or brainbox.
    WE0H likes this.

The choice I made was for.45, in aColt Commander. Sold an LC9 to get it.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker45 View Post
    This. My personal view is this, it really doesn't matter, at the end of the day shot placement is what stops a threat.
    You obviously haven't seen the post about the proposed bill in the CT legislature that makes it a felony to buy, own, sell, manufacture or carry any weapon that holds more than 1 round. What happens if you are attacked by two people? Better make sure they stand front to back at some point. All the shot placement in the world won't help that.

And if I am being shot at, no matter how much I train, I seriously doubt I will be shooting with "ultra" precision. Hence my disdain for such idiotic proposals (the lawmaker, not you).

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Unfortunately when you move to the .45ACP from 9x19mm, you gain mass, but lose velocity. The 9mm, especially in +P, is a faster moving round, leading to superior penetration.. particularly for barriers, with bonded HP ammo.
    Kind of goes against the laws of physics. And when you introduce barriers, your statement kind of falls apart (much like a 9mm will).
    Last edited by smolck; January 21st, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Fun thread with fun comments.

I'd be for the .45 ACP.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

7 9mm or 7 45acp?

.45 ACP - Springfield Armory XDS
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Sp101 is awsome I sent mine new in the box to actions by T same place I sent my wifes airweight man its sooooo smooth you will love it complete action job 150

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Kind of goes against the laws of physics. And when you introduce barriers, your statement kind of falls apart (much like a 9mm will).
    9mm has a higher muzzle velocity, on average about 800-900fps vs 1000-1350fps respectively for .45 and 9mm. Looking at ballistic gel tests, 9mm has superior penetration to .45ACP, so I'm not seeing the fail here.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

40 S&W.

You pick up mass and retain velocity.

I'm more of a revolver guy now so it wouldn't affect me too much. But I'd still probably stick to 9mm if the choice was 45ACP or 9mm.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    9mm has a higher muzzle velocity, on average about 800-900fps vs 1000-1350fps respectively for .45 and 9mm. Looking at ballistic gel tests, 9mm has superior penetration to .45ACP, so I'm not seeing the fail here.
    I've never been attacked by jello, so ballistic gel tests mean very little. But, I averaged the 9mm and .45acp penetration from all of tnoutdoors9 tests on youtube. They come out about the same in depth. However the .45acp was pushing a MUCH WIDER expanded bullet (on average over .80") than the 9mm (on average .55"). It takes more energy to push a wider bullet through gel. And again, Newton's laws of physics dictate very simply that the heavier object is harder to stop than the lighter one (notice the 147gr 9mm is usually the deeper penetrator). So add bone and obstructions to the mix and the 9mm will lose speed much faster then the .45 acp thereby limiting penetration.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I'd stick with 9. I practice with it, carry it, and shoot the best with it. I don't carry 9mm just because I have 12 rounds and most .45's only about 7, I carry it because it is what I'm best with. I'd stick with my M&P9c.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Quote Originally Posted by DandLfam View Post
    I'd stick with 9. I practice with it, carry it, and shoot the best with it. I don't carry 9mm just because I have 12 rounds and most .45's only about 7, I carry it because it is what I'm best with. I'd stick with my M&P9c.
    M&P9c is in my rotation as well. Great choice!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links