7 9mm or 7 45acp? - Page 5

7 9mm or 7 45acp?

This is a discussion on 7 9mm or 7 45acp? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 45 for sure.....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 7 9mm or 7 45acp?

45 for sure..

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I've never been attacked by jello, so ballistic gel tests mean very little. But, I averaged the 9mm and .45acp penetration from all of tnoutdoors9 tests on youtube. They come out about the same in depth. However the .45acp was pushing a MUCH WIDER expanded bullet (on average over .80") than the 9mm (on average .55"). It takes more energy to push a wider bullet through gel. And again, Newton's laws of physics dictate very simply that the heavier object is harder to stop than the lighter one (notice the 147gr 9mm is usually the deeper penetrator). So add bone and obstructions to the mix and the 9mm will lose speed much faster then the .45 acp thereby limiting penetration.
    ballistic gel is calibrated to have similar density to a human body, so it's not "jell-O" as you say. It's a simulation, but if you want something more accurate, use a pig. They only differ from humans by a single chromosome anyway, which is why insulin was extracted from them instead of beef for diabetics prior to vat cloning. The results I saw for .45ACP, unless you're using overpressure rounds, had less penetration than 9mm. I can tell you how 9mm works on a human body, from experience. It's plenty effective with speer gold dots.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

If only 7 rounds I would go with the 45.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

My carry gun for work is .45 so I guess it is an easy choice for me. I shoot it as well as I do my 9mm so accuracy isn't an issue.

As for the penetration issue. I can remember seeing what a .45 can do vs a car. Many yrs ago I saw the results of a MP shooting at a vehicle. The round passed just to the right of the left rear taillight. Transversed the passenger compartment knicking the right seat. Went through dashboard, firewall and right front fender. Achieving enough penetration to stop a BG doesn't seem to be a failure in .45 rounds.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

With only 7 rounds for me it would have to be the .45 acp or a .357 revolver. I also have a 9mm and the beauty of the round is large amount of rounds but with restrictions I want the larger mass.

It would be a tough call but I would probably go with the 9 still for the ease in shooting and concealing

As soon as I could everything I owned would be 357 revolvers and rifles.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Well, all day I have worn a Gov model in a Safariland OWB with only a Polo style shirt as a cover garment. Carried on a double thick belt, with a spare mag in the back pocket. Conceals well and is comfortable.

For me, I prefer the 45Acp in a package that is easy to shoot, rather than a small gun with smaller rounds. Although, the 9mm and 38 make a good account of themselves, I'm sold on 45 and 44 caliber performance.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I carry both 9mm and .45, so it wouldn't matter to me. The ability to shoot accurately is my primary concern, round count is secondary at the best.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I would just carry a 6 shot 44 magnum or 357 magnum. I carried one for years, even when I had the choice.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Senior Moderator
    Well, I usually carry 5 or 6 .38's or .357's
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

.45, twin 1911s
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I myself have always been a fan of the .45.

I carry my Kimber Solo everyday, so for me the 9mm is just fine and it being a 6round mag + one in the pipe. I guess I'm okay with the seven round limit, if I had to adhere to it. When I carry my XDS .45 its the same - one round bringing the total to six with the regular mag anyway. What I hate though is the absolute moronic idea that their restriction would actually prevent more carnage. Like how long does it take to do a mag dump and reload.. Just ridiculous.. It's like they all fell outta the stupid tree and hit every limb on the way down.
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; April 7th, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

id go with 45 acp... with a bug full of 7 9mm

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links