Are you, or do you know, a teacher willing to carry concealed at work?

This is a discussion on Are you, or do you know, a teacher willing to carry concealed at work? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If I were a teacher I would...

View Poll Results: Would you send your child(ren) to a school where teachers carried concealed firearms?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

187 98.42%
  • No

3 1.58%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Are you, or do you know, a teacher willing to carry concealed at work?

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    If I were a teacher I would

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I'm not a teacher but I work at a school and I would like to be able to carry. I've seen more violent crime, including gun crime in the stupid GFZ campus than anywhere else in my life.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    Why teachers as the primary protectors of our children, secondary, yes. I live in Palm Beach County Florida and the Palm Beach county school district has had their own Police Department since 1972 with police officers assigned to most schools and part time at others. Point of interest, Palm Beach county is 2,400 sq miles and has a population of 1,321,000 and is as large as the State of Delaware population, 917,000. Back in the day our leaders had common sense and saw the need for security within our schools. Today because of the influx of retirees from NJ and NY they see it as a waste of their tax dollars and I am quite sure as their numbers grow there will be changes made to the system.

That's actually a very interesting observation; it's exactly that type of demographic shift that concerns me most, across the board. On a broader scale, think of this: the greatest generation is quickly getting called home by the great discharge planner in the sky. That's a scary demographic shift: not many in subsequent generations share the patriotism that my father's (I'm 55) generation did.

My contention has been all along that within any school somewhere between 5% and 10% of the teachers, staff, and administration are already comfortable around firearms. Those are the ones that we need to ask to arm themselves in school. The rest of the staff can focus on the execution of a specific plan of action in the event of a shooting incident. They do fire drills, why not do shooter drills?
    sauerpuss likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Me!!!!
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Are you, or do you know, a teacher willing to carry concealed at work?

My wife is a teacher, she has a carry permit, she carries a G26, and would absolutely carry if it were legal.

Unfortunately, I don't think many of her colleagues share that sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    They do fire drills, why not do shooter drills?
    My wife's school does exactly this, as does my mother-in-law's school. Both schools are in very rural areas.

Threats of violence are not limited to K-12. I taught mathematics at a 4 year college and obtained my CCW permit in direct response to threats to myself and other faculty and staff. The head-in-the-sand attitude of the adminisration made me realize that we were on our own when it came to campus safety. Since I retired, quite a number of faculty - mostly female - have obtained permits. Our administration felt that armed faculty sent "The wrong message"(!?!) but could do nothing about it. You may recall that the Colorado Supreme Court ruled in favor of students who wished to carry on campus so our administration had to deal with it. I would not be surprised to see more and more teachers everywhere obtaining permits in the coming months.
    Never get out of the boat....

GH
    Unfortunately it's illegal to have firearms in our schools. There are several teachers with CCLs & a few of us volunteered to help out. All of the volunteers are former military or LEO,& retired. At this time there 3 of us who would do that. We have the manpower available but we can do nothing. The school is a private Christian school so we wouldn't be constrained by local school board (very liberal) rules.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The percentage of teachers who would carry at school probably closely mimics the percentage of the general population that will carry--not particularly high. Seeing as the majority of teachers are women, who are a small porportion (20% in my county) of those who do have a license, that would make a very small number of teachers armed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    several!!!!!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

My next door neighbor is a teacher and her husband is a detective at our metro PD. I would have no problem with my boys going to her school knowing that she and other teachers were carrying.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I agree OldVet that the percentage would be low, but like I said 5% to 10% would be all that is needed. In a small school of 60 teachers, administrators and staff you'd have 3 people minimum that could be armed. That's not a big number, but it's a number better than zero and it's probably adequate.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

My wife works in a public school and she would carry --- already said so. The day time janitor in her school teaches martial arts and is a gun enthusiast. It's a small school, and those two are probably all that would be needed.

We actually have a poll with 100% on it?

Where are our resident libertards? I cant beleive this.

There has to be someone on this forum that is wringing their hands over the thought of a teacher being armed.

Well, I am a teacher... college, but still a teacher, and I would definitely carry if given that option. It is a private college in Iowa that is posted no guns, so only the college's policy and not law. I know of "someone-who-is-not-me" who does carry. The only way anyone will know is if he ever has to use it. Hope that never happens.
    JaxRolo likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links