Are you, or do you know, a teacher willing to carry concealed at work? - Page 4

Are you, or do you know, a teacher willing to carry concealed at work?

This is a discussion on Are you, or do you know, a teacher willing to carry concealed at work? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am retired military, now teach, and have no issues with carrying a sidearm at school. Had this discussion with a deputy and they had ...

View Poll Results: Would you send your child(ren) to a school where teachers carried concealed firearms?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

187 98.42%
  • No

3 1.58%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Are you, or do you know, a teacher willing to carry concealed at work?

I am retired military, now teach, and have no issues with carrying a sidearm at school. Had this discussion with a deputy and they had no issue with it as long as they went through an approved training program (more than just CC). They need to do something, there is just not enough money to pay for officers and many have to pull shifts after leaving schools. We can only keep a deputy about two years and then they rotated because of the additional hours. Just to put down another issue, the officers do a lot at school to include traffic, teaching, working with at risk students, parent issues, being a friend, and other duties.

I don't know their intentions, but there were 7 teachers from the same school in the concealed carry class I took this past Saturday morning.

I work for a school district and know a few teachers that already expresses interest. I am not a teacher rather a network tech and I also expressed the same interest. There are a few concerns I personally have and one be mistaken for a bg if **** were to hit the fan. Proper training is a must.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    This is a "slightly" biased poll. Run it on an anti-gun forum and compare results.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I was thinking the same thing. It is surprisingly not illegal here although it will (probably) result in termination. Guess it depends on which is most important.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

My Mother taught 1st and 2nd grade 42 years.

She has been retired about ten years now I think she would be ok with it.

I have a very close friend that has worked at high schools for over 20 years.

She wants to get her carry and have asked me to talk to some over her co workers about traning and arms.

When that happened in Conn. I text her and made sure she was ok . I just had to.

When she got home I just had to give her a big bear hug

It's worth noting that the vast majority of my students seem to support allowing trained teachers to carry as well.

You might want to check your laws very closely. In Texas, teachers, custodians, employees, can carry if they have a CHL and written approval of the school district. Many people huff and puff about adding more training and stuff, but its already the law, if a school wants to do it. Several in Texas already do.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpcaver View Post
    I am retired military, now teach, and have no issues with carrying a sidearm at school. Had this discussion with a deputy and they had no issue with it as long as they went through an approved training program (more than just CC). They need to do something, there is just not enough money to pay for officers and many have to pull shifts after leaving schools. We can only keep a deputy about two years and then they rotated because of the additional hours. Just to put down another issue, the officers do a lot at school to include traffic, teaching, working with at risk students, parent issues, being a friend, and other duties.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    My dad is a retired teacher and he would not carry nor woould he ever own a gun. My sister is a teacher in MA and she would never own a gun or carry.
    So your the "black sheep" of the family?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Not a teacher, and don't know any personally. That said, I'd let my kids go to a school where the teacher could be armed, if I had school age kids.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sanfordreed View Post
    You might want to check your laws very closely. In Texas, teachers, custodians, employees, can carry if they have a CHL and written approval of the school district. Many people huff and puff about adding more training and stuff, but its already the law, if a school wants to do it. Several in Texas already do.
    Iowa also but I've never heard of anyone getting permission.

CHAPTER 724 WEAPONS
    http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/cool-i...code&input=724

724.4B CARRYING WEAPONS ON SCHOOL GROUNDS -- PENALTY
    -- EXCEPTIONS.
    1. A person who goes armed with, carries, or transports a firearm
    of any kind, whether concealed or not, on the grounds of a school
    commits a class "D" felony. For the purposes of this section,
    "school" means a public or nonpublic school as defined in section
    2. Subsection 1 does not apply to the following:
    a. A person listed under section 724.4, subsection 4,
    paragraphs "b" through "f" or "j".
    b. A person who has been specifically authorized by the
    school to go armed, carry, or transport a firearm on the school
    grounds, including for purposes of conducting an instructional
    program regarding firearms.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

She might want to apply for the armed guard position at her school. The guards will probably make more than the teachers, even if their responsibilities are a little different. Just a thought....
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    My wife is a teacher and loves to shoot. Even has her own Glock 19 and wants her own AR one day. She has also expressed interest in getting a CPL.

That said, she still doesn't like the idea of carrying at school. She knows how easily kids can get into things and doesn't want the worry or distraction of yet another thing to look after on top of the 30+ kids in her classes.

She is all for the posting of armed guards or police though.

They could be getting permission, and just not publicizing it. We can carry on school grounds inTexas, but not inside the buildings. You can drop off your kids while carrying, and visit with the teacher on the sidewalk in front of the school, cocked and locked and concealed, but just cannot go inside. "Premises" means inside the buildings.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links