glock 30sf loading problem...experiment?

This is a discussion on glock 30sf loading problem...experiment? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hope im not going to get crucified for asking this....BUT....has anyone ever considered trimming the spring on the g30 mags to help load 10+1?...

Thread: glock 30sf loading problem...experiment?

hope im not going to get crucified for asking this....BUT....has anyone ever considered trimming the spring on the g30 mags to help load 10+1?

I think I read something about that on Glock Talk a couple of years ago. I haven't on mine. I just push hard on the mag to get it in there. For reloads I carry G21 mags and those are much easier to put in on a closed slide.

the only reason it bothers me is when im loading 10+1 and i go to put the mag in, in order not to struggle i hold the firearm in a non conventional way and just doesnt feel safe. i tend squeeze my hands together having my right palm on the top of the slide and left palm pushing in the mag...dont like it! guess ill carry 9 till the springs break in but would like a quicker solution.

I can get 10 rnds in my G30 mags with a little effort. In time the spring will loosen enough to make it a little easier. I wouldn't cut the spring down. As for loading the mag in the pistol, if you insert the mag with enough authority, you can get it to seat without changing your shooting grip. It may take a little practice, but it can be done, and it's a lot safer than changing your shooting hand grip on the pistol.

I've kept the 10 round mags loaded since 2009 and I haven't noticed the mags getting any easier to load. I'm not going to download by one so I end up doing what one of the above posters mentioned and hold it in an unconventional manner.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    With G30 mags, getting "easier" to load means you can finally get 10 in, not that they're easier to load. I stuffed 10 in and let them sit a day or two and it's easier now--with the loader. Don't think I'd want to use thumb power too much.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Hmm. For me, it seems easier to load 10 now than it used to be. I freely admit that it could be in my head.

I think if you have to smash the magazine so hard to get it to seat that you can't do it with a normal grip - you shouldn't have that many rounds in the magazine. 10 rounds of .45 ACP is good. 1 is always better - but if the magazine doesn't work, or the follower gets cracked, or the gun doesn't cycle right.....then you only had 1 round.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ignore....

Austin

RKM
    I don't have any problems with mine. When I reload my with HP ammo after I'm done at the range. I lock the slide back, insert a full mag, chamber a round, drop the mag, add another round and insert the mag and give it a solid smack and it's good to go. Don't get me wrong, it is stiff, but it's just not bad enough for me to think much of it.

As others have said, it's just a break-in issue. It'll get easier over time as the springs loosen.

Break in issue...? My 10 round mags have remained loaded since I bought my G30sf and they're still very hard to load....bottom plate looks like they're bulging a little too.....I don't get it with these Glock mags......what are they doin'........?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Reason not to store mag fully loaded unless needed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

What then is the reccomended procedure for breaking in the spring.............?

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Break in issue...? My 10 round mags have remained loaded since I bought my G30sf and they're still very hard to load....bottom plate looks like they're bulging a little too.....I don't get it with these Glock mags......what are they doin'........?
    Oh, yeah, they do remain somewhat difficult to load; but in my experience they do get (a bit) easier over time. Both of my Glocks have been like that (G27, G30). On the bright side, I've never had a Glock mag or spring fail on me.

IMO, compared to my Colts.....this gun is really a POS.........but I like it for some reason.

Sponsored Links