Opinions on +p ammo for .45acp

This is a discussion on Opinions on +p ammo for .45acp within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What are ya'lls opinion on using +p ammo in .45 acp? I picked up some Hornady 230gr. +p hollowpoints but have yet to shoot them. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By finst3r
  • 1 Post By Rcher

Thread: Opinions on +p ammo for .45acp

What are ya'lls opinion on using +p ammo in .45 acp? I picked up some Hornady 230gr. +p hollowpoints but have yet to shoot them. Are they any good? are they better than standard pressure .45?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If regular .45 ACP can't get the job done, you need 10mm.
    Stevew and glockman10mm like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Never saw the purpose of +P in a .45.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

+1 , on OldVet's post
    pittypat21 likes this.

I actually get a bit better accuracy with my HK 45c at distance with the Hornady TAP 230+p. Just when I will need that, I'm still not sure.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Administrator
    As I have said on the forum before - .45 acp +P can only ever get so "PLUS" due to the inherent nature of the .45 acp cartride case.
    If pressures get too steep the .45 cartridge case will rupture on extraction.

Way back when...some gun writer hand loaded Steel case .45 acp to very high (near .44 MAG velocity) but, those steel cartridge cases had trouble on extraction and would stick fast in the chamber and snap extractor hooks.

My every day carry ammo is +P but, the most important thing is that it feeds and functions flawlessly. I actually run +P with a slightly LIGHTER than factory recoil spring but, it is necessary to install a new recoil spring more often & I use a variable Chrome Silicon recoil spring.
    I have my reasons for doing that which I will not get into here.

Anyway...long story short. If you own a high quality 1911 shoot all of the +P that you want to in it. But, firstly I would go with any ammo brand that feeds and functions perfectly.

I load 13 rds. of Federal HST 230 grain +P in my Springfield XDM 45 ACP as one of my bedside home defense weapons.
    Last edited by Bigpoppa48; January 22nd, 2013 at 08:12 PM.

Is there a significant difference in the type or number of failures that can occur when using +P?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Ive always been wary of +p ammo due to warnings of frames cracking, etc. Standard rounds would be enough I should think

Administrator
    Actually it would be more of an issue with the front of the frame rails taking a beating than frame rails splitting or frames cracking.
    Some 1911 frames that were shot extensively for decades with MIL Hardball cracked in the rail area directly above the slide stop cut-out.
    A totally non-critical area that was often just milled out with a slot in that location ahead of time.
    I have not heard of that happening for years though. I think more modern steel has completely eliminated that issue which was RARE anyway.
    I have 2 1911s that I have run a ton of ammo through - quite a large number of very stiff reloads that were reloaded for me locally and have never seen any rail deformation at all. Not even the slightest hint.

Personally I think most of the sporadically occurring damage to a 1911 front frame rails that looked like battering was probably due more to the way the slide rails were milled and ended at their very front which sometimes left a knife-like edge in that area.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Anyway...long story short. If you own a high quality 1911 shoot all of the +P that you want to in it. But, firstly I would go with any ammo brand that feeds and functions perfectly.
    I concur. Reliability should be your first concern. You can work on accuracy.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

RKM
    The +P's in my opinion only exist to aid in expansion of the slow moving .45 bullets, especially from a shorter barrel. That's about it. Otherwise, standard pressure from a longer barrel will do just fine.

As long as you're not shooting +P ALL of the time for range use, it will not stress your gun. The only +P ammo should be defensive ammo.

I agree with the crotchety OldVet here. Dont really need +p in the 45, but then again, there nothing wrong with using it if it makes you feel better.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

If a 230 gr .45 bullet isn't sufficient, you don't need +p, you need a .454 Casull or a .50 Desert Eagle. If that's not enough, call in an airstrike!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Both of the .45s that I owned pushed out +p ammo with no problems.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Links