Forbes: "Why Doctors Should Not Ask Their Patients About Guns"

This is a discussion on Forbes: "Why Doctors Should Not Ask Their Patients About Guns" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hope this is the right place to post this. Why Doctors Should Not Ask Their Patients About Guns - Forbes "Should doctors ask patients if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Forbes: "Why Doctors Should Not Ask Their Patients About Guns"

Forbes: "Why Doctors Should Not Ask Their Patients About Guns"

Hope this is the right place to post this.

Why Doctors Should Not Ask Their Patients About Guns - Forbes

"Should doctors ask patients if they own guns? Currently, ObamaCare bans the federal government from using patient medical records to compile a list of gun owners. But following the Newtown, CT shootings, President Obama issued an executive order clarifying that “the Affordable Care Act [ObamaCare] does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.” The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) similarly encourages physicians to ask patients if they own firearms — in the name of protecting child safety."
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

2. Remove Ads

Don't want to be standin' in my skivvies and have'n the Doc askin' me ....What Caliber Is That ? .....NG.
    Exacto and OldVet like this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Good article. Doctors should go out of their way to create a good relationship with their patients. At the very least, asking about firearms will put patients off and perhaps create a mistrust where one didn't occur previously.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I'm sure many doctors will ignore this if they aren't required to produce some kind of statistics or evidence from their notes on it. However, many will dive right in on the grounds that it's a health threat like smoking, or drinking from "High Cap" soda bottles. I'm sorry, in the case of cigarettes and sugar, if you don't know that they're unhealthy by now, in this day and age, having the doctor pester you about it probably won't help.

In the case of guns, it's none of their dang business! Is Obama suggesting we ask people if they have an automobile at home? Or sharp kitchen knives? Chemicals which, were they to be combined, could be dangerous? Where does it end?

I can see it now, "Sir, are you aware that guns can be dangerous?" "Yes, doctor, that's WHY I HAVE THEM!"

Ugh.

Its probably the last thing on their mind. Unless you show up with a bullet hole that needs their attention.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    ...Why Doctors Should Not Ask Their Patients About Guns...
    My main reasoning has always been along the lines of "because it's none of their #@*%$ business."
    jakmak52 and Mr B like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

My Dr. knows i have at least one.No need for him to ask,me.That said,i've known him for a little over 30 yrs.If any other Dr. ever asks,none of their business.

Distinguished Member
    If any ask me, it will be met with the question - "May I have your home address please?"
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Don't want to be standin' in my skivvies and have'n the Doc askin' me ....What Caliber Is That ? .....NG.
    If he can't tell by looking, get a better doctor.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mbguy29577 View Post
    Its probably the last thing on their mind. Unless you show up with a bullet hole that needs their attention.
    And then you say, "No, but someone else does. See?"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I have posted this link before, and this touches on this very subject, as to why they SHOULD SHUT UP, and NOT ask people about firearms.

Risk Management Advice to Physicians and their Insurers: Don’t Borrow Trouble
    Here is a link Risk Management Advice to Physicians and their Insurers: Don’t Borrow Trouble
    for both part one AND part two on the same link,

If I were a doctor, I think I would heed this advice, and I know if I were an insurance company providing coverage for a physician I would definitely ensure he/she heed this advice.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    If any ask me, it will be met with the question - "May I have your home address please?"
    Now that's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    My main reasoning has always been along the lines of "because it's none of their #@*%$ business."
    And it's not medically relevant.
    Mr B likes this.

Anything you tell them they will keep in there file for good..Bottom Line..Trust me
    And who knows who could access that information from there..Only tell them what you need to tell them thats it..
    Its like when dealing with an LEO in a situation it might be better to stop trying to explain what ur doing and the situation,Because you can easily MESS UP..
    So keep it simple dont push it and its there job most the time to get you to budge and test you..DOnt fall for it.
    A doctor will say well 4 years ago u said this"something"....And you may have never said that,Or said something simlilar but COMPLETELY DIFFERENT..But they have that on File and thats supposedly legitimate..
    Im not even gonna get into this subject..I'll get in way too deep,theres way too much goin on that most people arent even aware of..
    Anyways up up n away from the doc talk

VIP Member
    My doctor might ask me if I have guns or if I have live bear traps surrounding my house, but I'm not obligated to answer. If I'm at my doctor to have a giant wart at the end of my nose removed, guns have nuthin' to do with it.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links