Part two of 7 rounds 9mm vs 45

This is a discussion on Part two of 7 rounds 9mm vs 45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With the current trend in some training circles to dump multiple rounds on target quickly, assuming the risk or high probability of multiple assailants, will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Part two of 7 rounds 9mm vs 45

Part two of 7 rounds 9mm vs 45

With the current trend in some training circles to dump multiple rounds on target quickly, assuming the risk or high probability of multiple assailants, will you rethink this tactic? Would you be more conservative with your ammo?

Do you think this would influence your choice in caliber or platform?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

I would switch to a 1911 exclusively as opposed to a G27 or M&P 45
    kmagnuss likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If I were limited to 7 round mag capacity, I would have to redefine my tactical approach to dealing with multiple assailants. In a 4 man home invasion, I'd opt for the "everybody gets 1 first" then reassess. I would still pick the caliber that I was most proficient with. Shots not on target are still worthless.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I have quite a bit of time and expense invested in my present platform, and am very familiar and comfortable with it. I don't see switching it.
    DandLfam likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Not much changes for me. 45 regardless of capacity. I do carry a 40 regularly but 9 vs 45 is pretty easy. If I'm not carrying 40 or snubbie then it must be 45.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I'd just carry a 1911 with several spare mags. Yes, I would make every shot count and would not just let 'em fly knowing I have limited capacity.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If I were limited to 7 round mag capacity, I would have to redefine my tactical approach to dealing with multiple assailants. In a 4 man home invasion, I'd opt for the "everybody gets 1 first" then reassess. I would still pick the caliber that I was most proficient with. Shots not on target are still worthless.
    Ahh. Everyone gets an appetizer and you check back on who wants seconds.

Still sticking with my 9mm. As stated above, if dealing with a 4-person home break-in, each would be getting one round. After the first round, reasses and see who would like more.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

When I was in HI I bought a SIG P229 in .40, which I got over the 9mm because we were stuck with 10-rounders there either way for handguns. Now that (for the moment) I can own the standard capacity mags, my Glock 19 seems like a more sensible choice as far as weapons go. If I was stuck in NYS, it would be a 1911 in .45 Auto all the way. At least with that gun 7 is standard, and they are definitely 7 that will count. As far as dumping multiple rounds on target....if there's just one, definitely. If it's 4 breaking in, one per attacker to start the party...

...I was raised to shoot not spray...though I'll fight any restrictions on mag capacity...I've lived with 7+1 or 8+1 because I like 45...only hicap I have is a P95, so that I'll have something solid to shoot "donated" ammo out of when the party begins...every round should count...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If limited to 7 rounds, I'd have to get a new platform as all mine carry more. I suppose I'd have to get on that .38 snubbie bandwagon finally.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Wouldn't change anything but a magazine.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I would take 7 rounds of .22lr if that's what I shot best. There will always be the debate of 9mm vs .40 vs.45. Whichever you shoot best is what you go with. I would rather hit my target with a little round than miss him all together.

Of the J-frame, Commander-sized 1911 and CW9 in the current rotation, only the 1911 holds more than 7+1 rounds, so no, this wouldn't change my training/tactics/protocols. I'd give up a whopping 1 round.

Maybe I'm stupid or over-confident, but I've just never felt under-equipped with 15-17 rounds of current-technology 9mm/.40/.45 ammo on me - basic load + 1 refill (minimum). 5-round J-frame with a refill or two feels a little light, but I don't lose any sleep over it. Recall the zeroth rule of a gunfight: "have a gun."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    The concept of "dumping" rounds on target is an extension of the old truism, "all handgun calibers suck." You are attempting to do as much damage as possible, as quickly as possible in order to "stop the threat." It is effective and has the added bonus of being lots of "fun" for the student.

Now, if your ammunition availability is limited, as with "low capacity" .45's or the popular mouse guns, you HAVE to be more conservative. I have always prefered putting 2-3 rounds on target and then assessing, no matter what caliber I am shooting.

So, would I be MORE conservative with ammunition management? No, probably not. You still need to put lead on target and handgun calibers still suck. We should already be training to be as precise as we can, as fast as we can. We'll all just need to practice those mag changes a bit more.
    Snub44 likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links