Colorado Bill to allow felons to have firearms??

This is a discussion on Colorado Bill to allow felons to have firearms?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; And just when I tnought it couldnt get worse: Colorado bill would allow some felons the right to possess guns - The Denver Post...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Colorado Bill to allow felons to have firearms??

Colorado Bill to allow felons to have firearms??

2. Remove Ads

More stupidity....just what we need.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Terrific, now they are trying to claim there's a difference between bad criminals and good criminals. A felon is a felon. You can put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it's still a pig.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

More stupidity? I disagree. As the Representative said, "There is a big difference between an income-tax felon and a homicide felon."
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Re: Colorado Bill to allow felons to have firearms??

On one hand I am sympathetic with those non-violent types who have served their time.

On the other hand I am mistrustful of cheaters and liers. I obviously don't keep many friends. Forgiveness is a rough road.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

A felon is a felon is a felon.... why differentiate... they knew the consequence of the crime.

Sure a felon is a felon. But a non-violent person will not become a violent person because you strap a "felon" label on them. I agree with the congresswoman's opinion.
    kerberos and tcox4freedom like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Our nation does a stellar job of stocking our prisons. Rehabilitated should mean rehabilitated. Should an 18 year old kid be labeled a felon for having a small amount of hallucinogenic mushrooms? Punishments need to be appropriate to a crime. If someone's past behavior represents a present risk to the health and well being of those around them (after serving their punishment) then restrictions are appropriate. Otherwise I'm having trouble justifying it.

I guess I'm leaning to agree with it. In spite of Ken Buck's support. I'm pretty sure in his election attempt his campaign accused his opponent of being soft on crime for a not dissimilar vote.

A non violent felon tax cheat or whatever is a totally different animal than a violent felon. I think that bill recognizes the difference.

I may be mistaken but I thought there already was a way for past felons to petition the courts to regain they're rights including they're voting and firearms rights?

It has its merits. If one of the purposes of concealed carry is to prevent people from being crime victims, there's no reason why we should want a convicted felon to be a victim either.

On the other hand, a felon has demonstrated his willingness to break laws. But on the third hand (useful when trying to reload) we've all broken laws and taken our chances. Tough call. But I wouldn't have said this because it can be used by the anti-guns.
    Jackster likes this.

Re: Colorado Bill to allow felons to have firearms??

This really is, Gentleman, a profound question, one for the Libertarians to answer. The Gods know that I will never trust a Democrat or a Republican for an honest answer.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

I will agree, not all felons are bad people. In AZ it is a felony to drive drunk with kids in the car. (Like duh...) However it happens. I had a tenant a couple of years ago who made a really stupid mistake.

My tenant had drunk two beers after work and the wife called to say she had to work late (she is actually in LE), their two kids were at some after school event. So he picked them up, and got stopped for some minor infraction, and the cop smelled beer, he blew a .09, just barely over the limit. He got 6 months in jail and parole after. Lost his job, they lost their house, ended up as my tenants. I eventually hired him to work for me for awhile. The prosecution needs to fit the crime IMHO.

He was about as much a felon as any of us, and the way things are looking a lot of us may BE felons soon...

Count me among those who are against restoring rights to convicted felons in all but exceptional cases. There is no such thing as an "ex-felon," no more than there is an "ex-mother." If someone has a problem with certain crimes being felonies with the attendant loss of civil rights, then the proper course of action is to have such crimes reclassified as misdemeanors. But don't expect me to sign up to lobby for giving Bernie Madoff or similar "non-violent" criminals any civil rights back. Don Henley said it in a song: "a man with a briefcase can steal more money than any man with a gun."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Ok I am wearing my asbestos briefs so flame away if you will but I would have no problem with a NON- violent felon having their rights restored. Someone convicted of domestic abuse or other similar crimes should be forever be removed from society in my opinion but someone convicted of having a few grams of pot or tax evasion is not likely to suddenly go on a shooting spree just because they have had all their rights restored.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links