Facing rearmament

Facing rearmament

This is a discussion on Facing rearmament within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I posted a while back that at the moment though I am never unarmed thanks to some close friends and my son, other than long ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958

Thread: Facing rearmament

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array Ghost1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,016

    Facing rearmament

    I posted a while back that at the moment though I am never unarmed thanks to some close friends and my son, other than long guns I dont actually own any handguns. Ive owned many up until a few months ago but between helping out a friend or two finacially and some medical stuff I needed to sell out temorarily for fast cash. I can however take my pick of several different handguns from 380 up on several differnent platforms and have.
    Now I am ready to rearm with my own purchases again and had been thinking over what I was going to go with. My needs are a pocket gun, a primary, a heavier caliber rifle than the 22 lr i have now, both for hunting and HD. I have a 12 ga so im not naked in the shotgun area.

    My first thought was semi auto but after considering it for a few weeks now Ive decided to standardize on the .357 platform.
    It will take several months to get all this together but here is what ive come up with and offer for comments.
    A Ruger LCR 357 pocket rocket. Add a sps101 or similar maybe even going up to a security six etc as primary carry, and a lever action 357 rifle.
    Reasoning is that one ammo covers all three weapons, I have the option of 38 in all three if need be.
    I can put deer etc on the table with the rifle though its not the best for it I have done it in the past many times.
    Any evil horde of BGs that I cant dissuade or worse with 10 rds of 357 and a couple of speed loaders Im probably a dead duck anyway. Between the primary six shot, the level action 9 rounds the shotty and the semi 22 Im pretty sure home invasion short of a military assualt can be made to decide there are green pastures to exploit elsewhere.
    Ive never had an AR type rifle and while im sure they are wonderful to own I am on a fixed income. Id like to have one but I dont really NEED one.
    I think im on the right track here but im always open too suggestions.
    I have the political times in mind. I dont see a run to grab traditional arms like that in my state anytime soon. And a the bug out shtf situation where one caliber doing a lot of different things would be a plus. Thanks guys and gals for any thoughts.


  2. #2
    Member Array Daddydon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    395
    Okay, first off, try the 357 sig. Designed to give you the loved 357 magnum power in a semi auto...more rounds, less recoil...bam

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array Ghost1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,016
    I like the sig but I the sig doesnt give me the rifle option like the straight 357 does that Im aware of. I could be wrong on that though. It also dont think that would lend itself to the wife cc the LCR with 38 when I dont need the pocket option

  4. #4
    Member Array Daddydon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    395
    Okay, your right on that. No problem then. If your a wheel gun couple, that's cool. But 9 and 40 and 45 are calipers they have carbines in as well and they are in expensive when put next to 357

  5. #5
    Member Array Daddydon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    395
    But hey, it's your fund and your choice. As long as you proficient your good. Just remember proficiency should never be substituted by convenience

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,575
    ...having been taught on a revolver, an SP101, a GP100 4" or any of the Sixes (Security, Service, or Speed), and a good rifle in .357 would serve me well...I'd shoot .38 FBI load in the revolvers and .357 in the rifle...practice in .38 in all 3...and sleep like a baby...Speed strips would load the wheelguns and I'd be fast enough if I used my head a little...all would be bought used and at about 2/3 the price of new...leaving plenty for ammo...

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array Ghost1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,016
    I too was shooting wheel guns for years before I shot my first semi auto. And the 357 ammo at least in hollow point is a bit more expensive. The 357 carbine though will take deer consistantly at 100 to 150 yrds. I dont know that 40 or 45 would do the same. Ive never had one of them and can only go on what ive researched on them. 357 I have real world experience with on deer.
    Im thinking not needing a different caliber hunting rifle and different ammo for it would offset the additional cost on 357 ammo.
    Maybe I should look into this a little more on the other carbines and what they will do but from what ive read up on them so far the 40 and 45 while excellant defense loads handgun or rifle fall behind in the hunting area on deer size game. But I could be wrong.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array KBSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Gulf Coast, MS
    Posts
    653
    I like your thinking, and I think it's a good plan, for putting together a survival/defense package, on a shoe string.

    If you add a basic reloader to the mix, you'll be able to hand-load your ammo, and with revolvers, the brass will be easily collected and recycled again and again. Simple reloaders are pretty cheap too, so you can do that easily.

    I don't recall you saying what kind of .22LR you were using, but in my opinion, the Ruger 10/22 is the ticket. When time/funds allow, I'd add a .22LR pistol too, like the Ruger MK II, bull barrel. It's a ton of fun to shoot, accurate enough to take squirrels and rabbits, and would add another 10 round pistol to your home defense load, if you needed to arm a loved one (spouse/child/grandchild). .22LR is cheap to shoot, and fun for all. We all know the little round isn't ideal for defense, but I wouldn't want a face full of those little bb's. :)

    When I started in law enforcement, we were using revolvers. I was issued a Ruger Security Six on my first job, and with practice, I became extremely efficient reloading that six shooter, and accurate out to 50 yards. On the next job we trained on a Smith & Wesson 686 (L Frame) .357 revolver with a 4" barrel, and instead of speed loaders, we loaded with the 2X2X2 pouches. With practice, everyone in our academy class qualified, under really strict time limits, using this system.

    I say all this to say it's doable, with practice. I wouldn't feel under gunned with your selections.

    Be safe friend.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

  9. #9
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,517
    If you going to go with a .357 Mag in handgun, why not go with a lever action rifle chambered in .357 Mag. That way you don't need to stock a different caliber ammo.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  10. #10
    mkh
    mkh is offline
    Distinguished Member Array mkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Foxhole somewhere in Jacksonville
    Posts
    1,633
    There are some advantages to settling on one caliber though I'm not sure I would pick the .357.

    I went the opposite direction and decided to have guns representing every caliber that I could easily scavenge or steal in a SHTF situation.

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array Ghost1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,016
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I like your thinking, and I think it's a good plan, for putting together a survival/defense package, on a shoe string.

    If you add a basic reloader to the mix, you'll be able to hand-load your ammo, and with revolvers, the brass will be easily collected and recycled again and again. Simple reloaders are pretty cheap too, so you can do that easily.

    I don't recall you saying what kind of .22LR you were using, but in my opinion, the Ruger 10/22 is the ticket. When time/funds allow, I'd add a .22LR pistol too, like the Ruger MK II, bull barrel. It's a ton of fun to shoot, accurate enough to take squirrels and rabbits, and would add another 10 round pistol to your home defense load, if you needed to arm a loved one (spouse/child/grandchild). .22LR is cheap to shoot, and fun for all. We all know the little round isn't ideal for defense, but I wouldn't want a face full of those little bb's. :)

    When I started in law enforcement, we were using revolvers. I was issued a Ruger Security Six on my first job, and with practice, I became extremely efficient reloading that six shooter, and accurate out to 50 yards. On the next job we trained on a Smith & Wesson 686 (L Frame) .357 revolver with a 4" barrel, and instead of speed loaders, we loaded with the 2X2X2 pouches. With practice, everyone in our academy class qualified, under really strict time limits, using this system.

    I say all this to say it's doable, with practice. I wouldn't feel under gunned with your selections.

    Be safe friend.
    The 22 is a Marlin mod 60 stainless semi auto.
    As far as reloading ammo ive never done it. The reloader would have to be the last ticket item and this is going to take probably four months to accumulate the firearms with the revolvers coming first then the rifle. Money is an object and ill have to do this one at a time hopefully used if possible.
    As far as ammo capacity with the revolvers I used to be pretty fast using speed loaders, plus on a normal basis I would have 11 rounds available between the six shooter and the LCR or sp101 doing the New York reload plus the speed loaders.

    The downside is the cost of 357 ammo. However for the cost of buying a 243 etc and ammo for that I can buy quite a bit of ammo in 357. This is the reason i posted this here is to get input since I aint the brightest bulb in the lamp and not above listening to a better plan that accomplishes what I need too.
    KBSR likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    MT
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    There are some advantages to settling on one caliber though I'm not sure I would pick the .357.

    I went the opposite direction and decided to have guns representing every caliber that I could easily scavenge or steal in a SHTF situation.
    I really have looked at both sides, and am not sure which is the best way for me to go. With the consistency between calibers in your setup, a easy source of ammo can be used by all - such as reloading the .357 / .38 Special. Reload your own brass, and you can stock up on the same components easily enough.

    However, having a broad spectrum of commonly used calibers is good - the only argument that I have with myself is "If I can scavenge the ammo, why can't I scavenge the platform that fires it. In the end, I just get what I like, add something new to the wish list, and find an excuse to reload it.

    A new gun topped the wish list from out of the blue, - my wifes gun. She must get her own, or else I won't have any.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

  13. #13
    Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    1,546
    I've been considering the same set up you mentioned- rifle/revolver pair. Henry, Rossi, and Marlin seem to be the big 3 .357 rifle makers. Don't forget good optics for your deer slayer (and DON'T tap a scope into a Henry ;) ) You're on the right track for all the right reasons.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Array darbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    543
    I think your plan is solid.

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,575
    ...what's them li'l holes on top the receiver??? Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right

    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I've been considering the same set up you mentioned- rifle/revolver pair. Henry, Rossi, and Marlin seem to be the big 3 .357 rifle makers. Don't forget good optics for your deer slayer (and DON'T tap a scope into a Henry ;) ) You're on the right track for all the right reasons.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors