Geico cancels insurance because of firearms

This is a discussion on Geico cancels insurance because of firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That is incredibly idiotic, I can't believe the actions of some companies recently....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Geico cancels insurance because of firearms

That is incredibly idiotic, I can't believe the actions of some companies recently.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

2. Remove Ads

I have a strict anti-lizard policy.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
    GEICO (Government Employee Insurance CO) has also cancelled policies because the policy holder owned a radar detector. I have never, and will never do business with them. This is just one more reason why.
    Please note that is just a name. It has nothing to do with government or government employees. Its an insurance company.
    soonershoote likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I'm glad that there is an insurance thread going.my progressive policy sent me the snapshot to get up to thirty percent off.I've been hesitant to plug it into my vehicles comp port fearing a gps report of how many times a month I go to the gun range or gun shops. Any opinions ? Figured those would be reasons to cancel my policy

Perhaps they should cancel everyone with steak knives in their kitchen too.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Progressive is one of the companies I have in my office. There is no GPS functionality with Snapshot. It records and transmits the time of day you drive, your maximum speed (but since there is no GPS it doesn't necessarily know your are speeding unless you're driving 100mph), hard braking, hard acceleration, miles traveled and that's about it. This is done through cell towers. When I did my training they stressed it cannot be used to raise your rates or cancel your insurance - only to reduce or keep rates the same as when you started. At the end of your first 6 months with Snapshot you return it to them in the postage paid envelope it came with or they hit you for $50. Whatever discount you earned with it stays in force moving forward.

A few of my clients have done it and most have averaged about 15-20% savings (and that stays moving forward). The biggest I've seen was 27%. I also saw one person go to concert and drive after midnight and her 20'something discount she was working toward went poof to 0% and never returned so her rates didn't change at all. They hate midnight to 4am driving and pretty much told us don't bother with Snapshot if that's when someone drives - be it for work or otherwise.

All that said I really dislike Progressive as a company. They're a necessary evil for an independent insurance agent lots of times but I don't like one of my companies directly competing against me via direct marketing as Progressive does.

Sorry for the novel! :-)
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Left GEICO sometime back and won't go back.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have had GEICO since 1963 and they have been outstanding, have taken immediate action on all claims without question. I called GEICO not five minutes ago and questioned them, a customer support person and a supervisor, and there is no policy to not cover a gun owners vehicle, nor is there any limitations on transporting my privately owned guns in my private vehicle. With that said, they did indicate that commercial vehicles that do transport guns, ammo and gun related accessories did fall under a different category and have to meet different guidelines but there are gun and gun related businesses presently insured by the company.

I would like to add one thing about GEICO, they were one of a very few auto insurance companies that would write policies for military personnel in the late 1950's and 1960's. During this time period the majority of military personnel were insured by Nationwide and GEICO.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Progressive also is anti, from what I've heard.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
    GEICO (Government Employee Insurance CO) has also cancelled policies because the policy holder owned a radar detector. I have never, and will never do business with them. This is just one more reason why.
    How did they know he had a radar detector? I have a radar detector, NRA sticker on the back window, a video cam and guns, in my car, nothing in my policy disallows them. Just got off the phone with them and they answered my questions about guns, radar detectors and dash cams. No problem to them, and jokingly stated that it could be a problem with the local authorities. LOL
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Geico cancels insurance because of firearms

I have had geico for a while and they have always been good with me. They are very pro military and there is not one other company that I have found to have better rates. And I call around once a year. Even USAA can't beat them.

This surprises me so many people dislike them.

They still call me SSGT every time I call and they
    Know I've been out of the corps for a few years. Idk.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

VIP Member
    Thank goodness for USAA, best company ever!
    Yoda likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links