Geico cancels insurance because of firearms

This is a discussion on Geico cancels insurance because of firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They never really had my business, but now, when they call, I can tell them why. geico.jpg...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Geico cancels insurance because of firearms

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Geico cancels insurance because of firearms

They never really had my business, but now, when they call, I can tell them why.

geico.jpg
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Well if they choose to not write any firearms related businesses - and were unaware that the Commercial Auto policy being cancelled was for a vehicle related to firearms business they legally can cancel.

I have no insurer's in my office that will entertain any weapon/firearms related business and have to use the Excess & Surplus Lines markets to insure them. It's not the least bit out of the norm - even before all this insanity. It's akin to writing insurance for a Demolition or Fireworks related company - most standard insurance companies simply aren't markets for them so the Excess & Surplus Lines companies have to step in.

I've had lots of "Remodeling" contractors buy insurance from me over the years only be cancelled out several years later because the insurance companies do a job site inspection only to find out they're actually Roofing Contractors and not simple remodeling contractors.

It sucks but that's just how it is. As much as I HATE Geico - I don't think the cancel has anything to do with them being anti-2A or the like. Hope you find a company willing to write the Commercial Auto - shouldn't be too awful hard.
    Hopyard and 3wggl like this.

Really all they make is chamber adapters, and they are worried about that.

Has anyone question Geico about this??
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

I had Gieco for my motorcycle insurance until just recently. After reading that, I think I'll take out another policy, just so I can cancel it!!! So stupid.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I just checked out Geico the other day..
    And it was a dirty ghetto brick building..with ghetto signs..
    And They were strait ROASTIN in there..
    LIke realllyyy
    Anyways yeh best deal We've found so far is through Farmers

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I agree with BillK01, traditional insurance markets do not write any company that has a NAIC code related to the firearm and weapon's business. The E&S market is the only place to go.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member
    I wouldn't expect anything different from an insurance company (not a big fan).

But why would it matter as long as the vehicle is being used in the manner detailed in the policy?

Did the Gecko hand deliver your cancellation notice?

He does sound a bit like Piers Morgan.

Kidding. That my friend, sucks.

I don't like Geico Ins. either.
    PAPADALE1 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I wouldn't expect anything different from an insurance company (not a big fan).

But why would it matter as long as the vehicle is being used in the manner detailed in the policy?
    Well - say the business owner HAS a General Liability/Property policy with a company that writes Firearms related businesses and is totally legit in that manner. All is well - unless - that policy cancels - and the only one in force at the time a loss is the auto policy.

What happens is the attorneys for the claimant start searching for applicable insurance and they find out this business has an auto policy and they go after it regardless of whether is should apply or not - it's the thing in force at the time of loss. Well what would that have to do with product liability claim you may ask. The answer is nothing - however - that doesn't mean the legal counsel for the claimant won't attempt to recover from that policy. Then Geico wracks up tens of thousands of dollars in defense costs defending a groundless lawsuit - or they "might" throw their hands up knowing they may incur huge legal costs and offer a settlement just to make the claim go away.

It's a sad fact but that crap happens all the time. When I write a commercial auto policy - my companies and underwriters ask specifically the nature of the business - if it does not fit then it doesn't get written. Not really sure how the aforementioned policy would have been written in the first place had Geico asked the nature of the business (which I'm relatively certain they would have) and was told what it was if firearms related businesses are not acceptable to them.
    Hopyard and 3wggl like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillK01 View Post
    Well - say the business owner HAS a General Liability/Property policy with a company that writes Firearms related businesses and is totally legit in that manner. All is well - unless - that policy cancels - and the only one in force at the time a loss is the auto policy.

What happens is the attorneys for the claimant start searching for applicable insurance and they find out this business has an auto policy and they go after it regardless of whether is should apply or not - it's the thing in force at the time of loss. Well what would that have to do with product liability claim you may ask. The answer is nothing - however - that doesn't mean the legal counsel for the claimant won't attempt to recover from that policy. Then Geico wracks up tens of thousands of dollars in defense costs defending a groundless lawsuit - or they "might" throw their hands up knowing they may incur huge legal costs and offer a settlement just to make the claim go away.

It's a sad fact but that crap happens all the time. When I write a commercial auto policy - my companies and underwriters ask specifically the nature of the business - if it does not fit then it doesn't get written. Not really sure how the aforementioned policy would have been written in the first place had Geico asked the nature of the business (which I'm relatively certain they would have) and was told what it was if firearms related businesses are not acceptable to them.
    You must do things a lot differently than AON (our carrier). If we do not have coverage for a claim, they punt. I deal with product liability cliams for my employer and I have never seen a claimant go after auto coverage for a product liablity claim and I have seen claimants do some pretty crazy stuff.
    Hopyard likes this.

Geico is one of those "cut rate" insurance companies that "meyhem" warns us about in the Allstate commercials.

My dad was hit by someone with Geico and he said they didn't pay out worth crap. His State Farm insurance ended up covering what Geico wouldn't.

They do have a funny pig commercial, though.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I liked the pig commercial too.

'Another State Farm fan here. It costs a few dollars more, but it's real insurance with a real agent that has handled things for me with only one phone call.
    soonershoote likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Did the Gecko hand deliver your cancellation notice?

He does sound a bit like Piers Morgan.

Kidding. That my friend, sucks.

I don't like Geico Ins. either.
    I so wish that little lizard would get run over just once. .... LOL
    Bark'n likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BillK01 View Post
    What happens is the attorneys for the claimant start searching...
    That's the problem right there. Too many lawyers!

Shakespeare had it correct when he penned, "The first thing we do, Let's kill all the lawyers!"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

GEICO (Government Employee Insurance CO) has also cancelled policies because the policy holder owned a radar detector. I have never, and will never do business with them. This is just one more reason why.
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links