Keeping your gun safe and accessable with young children in the home

This is a discussion on Keeping your gun safe and accessable with young children in the home within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm curious how others keep their defensive weapon safe in their home with little ones. I've had a small pistol safe ever since I've had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Keeping your gun safe and accessable with young children in the home

I'm curious how others keep their defensive weapon safe in their home with little ones.

I've had a small pistol safe ever since I've had a handgun. (college with roommates)
    A kid here in Denver just got a hold of the parents gun and shot himself in the foot. (this is what brings it to mind this morning)

So how do you do it?

I remember as a kid I explored ever single nook and cranny of that house. Even found a hidden compartment in a closet wall. Area was finished off by the previous family's teen. Pretty sure it was a stash for his stash

Keep it in a safe? Hidden where unacceptable by little kids?

I am buying a new gun safe once I return from Afghanistan but I also have a bed side handgun safe. If I am awake it's on my person and it goes into the safe when I get into bed. My daughter is only 6 months old but it's good to start getting used to keeping it in a safe at night while she is still to young to get into everything.
    HunterKelli and Grinder like this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    When my kids were young,it was always under lock and key. Even if the safe was accessible it was never ever ever able to be opened by kids.As they grew older,gun education was always practiced and showed my young ones what guns could do in the wrong hands by shooting watermelons and other large fruits. Eventually they became very comfortable and my daughter will be applying for her ccp in the summer. My son will follow suit when his age permits although he is the hunting rifle type so should be a non issue
    Grinder likes this.

Safes and traning. I have a quick open-safe in my bedside drawer in case I have to get to a gun quickly. I would rather not have to open a safe in the middle of the night, but I have other safeguards in my house that will buy me some time. (dogs, house alarm, etc.) My son is 6 and I already have him well-trained. Recently, I left a BB gun in our bedroom. I watched to see what he would do. He came in, didn't touch, and ran to let mom know that dad left a gun on the bed. lol
    HunterKelli and skatalite like this.

VIP Member
    The big guns are in a big safe, bolted to the floor in the basement.

Quick-access home-defense guns are in various quick-access safes, hidden and bolted down, throughout the house. Even if they are found, a kid can't access anything.

I don't even do this for my own kid, so much as just the general protection of my guests and their children. We have frequent pool/Sunday school parties in the summer, and I just never know who can be roaming around the house. Nothing is left to chance.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Keep it attached to your hip.

If you have small childern in your house, put your gun on when you put on your pants, take it off when your get in bed. All other guns should be locked away, in my opinion. I keep mine on the night stand while sleeping but we also lock our door at night, been walked in on too many times...
    PAPADALE1 likes this.

...when my three were young, I had a Simplex lockbox...taught the 7-year-old the combo...at 5, mine were handling pistols/revolvers...at 8, my oldest was point shooting BBs into a 5 gal bucket across the master bedroom...at 8, my youngest could shoot a J 3" as well as I could...I taught them all how, when, when not...and that noone but we menfolks was to know where to access the guns...Mama didn't shoot then...but she was well protected by them...now they're 25, 23, and 19...good with handguns and all well armed...taking the mystery out of them and early teaching was the answer for us...
    aus71383 likes this.

I grew up around guns, Dad took me hunting as a preteen and Gram-paw gave me an old Ithaca 28 ga side by side he took in on a bar bill.
    Loved that ole double and I handed it down to my oldest boy several years ago but I digress ...

After putting in my time with our Uncle and the five young-uns were growing up I thought I had taught them to respect firearms and
    the rule was "HANDS OFF". My .22 Sport King was left empty and on the top shelf of the bedroom closet. Well you probably figured out where
    this is leading. The two youngest, a tomboy and her older brother managed to get that .22 and found some cartridges, rode their bikes to an
    abandoned rock quarry and got their first hands on experience, unsupervised of course.

It was many years later when they confessed, too old by then to put across my knee. This story had a good ending but it could have been much
    worse. That tomboy is now fifty, has her CWP, a .45 and a .380, her son (20) has a .45 as well ( thanks to gram-paw ). When the three of us manage
    to get to the range they both show me no mercy.

Times have changed and "locking" guns up might be in order, personally I keep two loaded and ready to go, no little ones to get in trouble and the
    others are under lock and key.
    PAPADALE1 likes this.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Senior Moderator
    My sons know not to touch a gun and to get an adult if they see one laying around.

I have a Fort Knox pistol safe at the beside and a big safe for my long guns.

If a gun isn't under my immediate control it is locked in a safe
    skatalite likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Education, education, education! My first experience was to stumble on a neighbors revolver when I was 6 or 7. I immediately asked out loud if it was loaded and proceeded to look down the barrel to check, with my thumb in the trigger guard. The fact that my parents had no firearms accessible to me didn't save my life - luck did. Educate the heck out of them, then keep it on your hip in a proper holster or locked up anyway.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

All 3 of my boys grew up with a respect for firearms...........never had an issue....ever.

I keep my EDC locked in a keypad safe next to the bed when it is not on my side. All long guns are unloaded in gun cases. I make it a point to never lay the gun down anywhere so I dont forget about it. It is in the safe or in the holster, no exceptions. My children know that if they find a gun that they do not touch it and they should tell an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Keep it attached to your hip.

If you have small childern in your house, put your gun on when you put on your pants, take it off when your get in bed. All other guns should be locked away, in my opinion. I keep mine on the night stand while sleeping but we also lock our door at night, been walked in on too many times...
    This.

Since I don't have my CCP yet, the only time I've been able to try out my holster to decide my preferred carry position is wearing mine around the house after work and on weekends. Safest place it can be. If it's on me, it's not in little/unintended hands.

Also - mine are still relatively little (2 and 7), we wrestle around, sit on laps, etc. and they haven't noticed at all. Initially I was a little concerned with AD, so I was unloaded at first. But nothing has come close to an AD situation. And me and the 7 yo boy like to throw down WWE style from time to time.

My boys (now in their mid-thirties) have told me that they knew not to touch my guns, and they were never in a safe (those days are long gone).
    I did take them shooting and they both learned about gun safety early in life. My younger son is still single and has no interest in firearms (just a computer Geek).
    My older son is married and has two kids. His kids have already been schooled in gun safety and can be trusted...we've tested them. My granddaughter in going to be learning how to shoot a pistol in just a few weeks.
    My son is training her to understand gun safety and an appreciation for a life-saving tool. My DIL takes a 9mm everywhere she goes...using a fist holster. This is going to be a dangerous household to 'barge into' uninvited.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Big safe, and small closet safe. Otherwise it is on my person.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links