.45 ACP Carbine Opinions

.45 ACP Carbine Opinions

This is a discussion on .45 ACP Carbine Opinions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been thinking about adding a HD-specific long gun to my stable this year, and after considering the sea of options I think a .45 ACP ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SmokinFool

Thread: .45 ACP Carbine Opinions

.45 ACP Carbine Opinions

Been thinking about adding a HD-specific long gun to my stable this year, and after considering the sea of options I think a .45 ACP carbine might be the ticket.

Specifically, I'm interested in the HK USC, which I would do the UMP conversion to and SBR/suppress it (insert better hurry the hell up quip here). This would be expensive to be sure, but why do it? Why not just get an AR or another rifle caliber carbine instead?

I live in a metropolitan/suburban area - most lots in my neighborhood are 10,000 sq feet or less, so the longer-range ballistic effectiveness of a .223 or other rifle caliber isn't really needed. My application would be for close quarters, home invasion type situations. Also, with a larger family hopefully in my future, I'd appreciate being able to not destroy baby's ears or to communicate with wife/older child if and as needed in this situation. I also like the fact that my wife, who's 5'4", 110#, could handle a SBR pistol carbine much better if needed than an AR or shotgun.

I'm not trying to start a pistol vs rifle debate here - I know that if I want a rifle, I should buy a rifle and all that. But from a practical perspective, I think a suppressed SBR pistol carbine may be he better option given the above.

That said, I'm open to hear any opinions on this, as I know there are folks here who have forgotten more than I'll ever know - what say you all?

Senior Moderator
    I would not worry about a suppressor, but its your money.

The reason I don't worry about a suppressor is that I worry less about hearing than I do defense. For the cost of a suppressor my wife and I can attend a defensive carbine class. I believe that this would be more useful.

Now if I were looking for a SBR in .45 ACP I'd go no farther than here Thompson M1SB - Style # M1SB, Tommy Gun Shop / Firearms
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

MSRP: $1,970.00 ... I'd have to rob a bank !!!

I was in Academy the other day and they had two, I think one was a Henry and the other a Rossi, chambered in .45 LC/.410.
    Short stock and barrel, considered a "pistol" and had a revolver cylinder. Think the price was in the $400 range. The Rossi was
    called a Ranch Hand if I remember correctly.

Heck of a lot cheaper than that Thompson but it would be fun to shoot !!!
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    How about the Beretta CX4 Storm or the Kriss Super V ?? I hope this helps. God Bless

I like the idea of a sub caliber carbine. I used to own a Marlin .45 carbine but I had to sell it many years ago because I found myself in a position of needing money. I wish I still had it.
    carracer likes this.

For the budget you've set, I'd agree with VBVAGUY take a close look at the Kriss Super V CRB/SO basic carbine. There are also some fine .45 acp dedicated AR uppers that offer more readily available options & accessories than either the Kriss or the HK USC.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have been considering the same and have found several options.

Carbine_Conversion_Kits

MechTech - Home

.45 ACP Carbine Opinions

I like the Kris's V or the Hk USC also. Both will hold their value.

The Kris Vector CRB you can find magazines for. With the HK USC...good luck! I have a Kriss SDP and will be adding a stock soon to make it a SBR. If you want to go this route, don't get the carbine CRB, as swapping the barrel is not easy will require sending it back to Kriss.

Sponsored Links