Defensive Carry banner

Selling a Magazine to New Yorker?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  ghost tracker 
#1 ·
Is it still legal for a non-resident to sell a 10 or 15 round magazine to a New York resident and ship it via USPS?

#2 ·
Of all the people in the world to whom you could sell pistol magazines, why would you choose a NYC resident? I would ship it (them?) via Fed-Ex to an address in New Jersey and let the buyer assume ALL THE POSSIBLE REGULATORY TANGLE. Your profit margin can't be worth an inditement from an ambitious, over-zealous, headline-hungry D.A. trying to establish a legal precedent with his name attached.

#3 ·
Probably not - but you could always read the new law and find out for yourself. I know they have to "load 7" in their 10 round mags now, and all 30 round mags have to be gone in a year. I bet the law mentions something about buying new 10+ round mags as well.

Austin

#4 ·
...read the new law and find out for yourself...
Yeah, then you can post how that worked out for you...from Rikers. Reading is easy, but understanding & interpreting the latest GUN LAW is gonna' become like risking your inheritance on your own grasp of the IRS Tax Code!

#7 ·
I have no clue if NY's law makes it a crime for someone to sell one to a NY resident. I wouldn't do it simply
because I know they are not allowed under NY law to have them. So starting out, you know you are
dealing with someone who is going to break the law where they live. Do you really want to get involved with
such a person?

While it is hard for me to see how NY could make it a crime for a Texan to do something in TX, mail a package
to someone in NY, or how they would enforce that if it isn't also illegal in Texas or a Federal offense, you just never know.

And besides, one day you might find yourself in NY, strange things happen, and you might get cuffed.

A different situation, but with a slight parallel, no one on the E.Coast will sell me a shotgun because
TX law prohibits Texans from buying them except in TX or an adjacent state; whereas we do allow our
dealers to sell a shotgun to anyone, regardless of where they hail from.

Fifty sets of state gun laws is an insane way to run ONE NATION INDIVISIBLE.

#10 ·
Well, that's the question, isn't it? I'd like to see you get a straight answer from some lawful authority in NYC on that one. :blink: :tongue:

Seems clear that NYC doesn't trust its citizens. I'd suggest avoiding any claims of criminality by selling it elsewhere. After all, it's not as though you're going to have a tough time selling it, these days.

#12 ·
After further research I ascertained that the "new gun law" in N.Y. state takes effect on April 15, 2013.

It therefore appears legal for a N.Y. resident to purchase any magazine before that date; and I can sell/ship to a N.Y resident prior to that date.

What happens after that date seems unclear -- but irrelevant to my original question.

I'm sorry for N.Y residents that have to deal with such foolishness. They may want to consider moving to the midwest (except Illinois), where our gun laws are more reasonable.

gold40

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.