Dealing with a family member that is anti-gun - Page 2

Dealing with a family member that is anti-gun

This is a discussion on Dealing with a family member that is anti-gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Don't invite him over for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Dealing with a family member that is anti-gun

Don't invite him over for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner

Quote Originally Posted by the6shooter View Post
    Don't invite him over for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner
    And if you do make sure he gets a really dry piece of turkey and pick all the lumps out of the mashed taters especially for his plate

VIP Member
    Don't let him bait you into an argument, you only play into his hands by doing so.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Avoid him at all cost. Do not engage in conversation. If your inlaws say anything, just say "Consider the source."

As the old saying goes "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." Engaging in any type of conversation with him is playing a stupid game.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I have a relative who likes to project, too. He says, "Well, having a gun makes me feel like I could be more capable of violence, isn't it so with you, too?" Ummmm...No. But people like to project because they can't see outside their own little box.

There's no real rationalizing with a bipolar who is not properly medicated. I hope you minimize your exposure to him, and your immediate family does, too.

I'm pretty sure that the rest of his extended family doesn't know about his affair, 5150, and being bipolar. He has been known to start drama, so I'm just going to do my best to ignore him and trust in the fact that the rest of the family can see through the BS.
    I believe they will; even without the knowledge of his diagnosis, I think people can tell when someone just isn't right. And if people are so willing to believe everything that comes out of this person's mouth about you without giving you the benefit of the doubt or hearing your side, then that person isn't worth your time to dwell on it.
    bmcgilvray, Bark'n and lnferno like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I have found that the best way to deal with people like this is to refuse to engage them in an argument knowing that he will not change his mind and that he does not have the power or authority to actually inhibit your ability to carry. If he was a sitting Senator, then by all means argue your point as passionately as you can. I have a friend who is like a sister to me, but after Sandy Hook, she flipped out and went all anti-gun. Her husband owns several handguns and I think he is now selling them. (No it is nothing cool or hard to get... I checked). We agreed that we will not discuss guns. She knows I support the 2nd amendment and she as a delusional theory as to what the constitution actually says. Although there have been a few times at get-togethers that I will drop in comment just to get her all worked up, then refuse to argue with her. I am mean like that sometimes.

Think of it this way. You could agree with him, but then you both would be wrong.

WOW, what a nut. Like others have said anyone who would wave a gun around their own family has no room to talk (or breath for that matter). The real question here is why in the world would this poor women allow this nut to remain in the life or her child and family. I can't believe this guy has the pair to even come around after that.

I applaud you Inferno for what must have taken much restraint a few years back. I certainly would from that day forward not allow that nut to attend any family functions.

Well don't let it get to you. A person of that character doesn't have the right to an opinion.

One thing,ive completely stopped doing,is debating with someone who is ant-gun.They hate guns as much as i love them.I've learned it's better to just ignore them,family or anyone else.It's a waste of my time.

Sounds like the type both sides want to keep from buying a gun. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. He may be "anti gun" now that he has been forced to be "pro-unarmed".
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

When you engage in argument with a moron, they will drag you down to their level and proceed to beat you with experience.
    drinknshoot and mulle46 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Former smokers are the worst "Anti-smoke" proponents. I guess that works with guns also. It sounds like the mental health/guns prohibition works, at least in his case. There's no convincing him otherwise; don't debate guns with him and avoid/change the subject. If he insists, tell him to have a nice day and show him to the door.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Heres how to deal with them..
    When SHTF tell them to defend themselves....

I generally don't "deal" with them. If they already have their minds made up, facts and common sense do not matter and it's a waste of oxygen to debate it. Either you support and defend the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, or you don't.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Show him love. Be nice to him and not condescending. Treat him with respect (whether he deserves it or not), and don't be quarrelsome with him. Continue to project yourself as you see yourself (upright and of good character), but don't be judgmental of him, if possible. Go out of your way to help him and be a good neighbor, family member, and friend to him.

He is obviously not someone you can reason with, so don't try to. Don't worry about him. If you are as you claim, the rest of your family should be able to see through his vitriol. If you are concerned with your reputation in the eyes of your family, see if you can correct their understanding in private, but without putting down your brother-in-law.

You can't control what he does, but you can control what you do.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    He sounds like one that needs to be on the list of mentally challenged people that shouldn't own a gun. He can't trust himself to own one, so he projects his failings on everyone. Try to avoid this guy, he is a ticking time bomb.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links