Carry ammo

Carry ammo

This is a discussion on Carry ammo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, was hoping to see a discussion about this, so I might as well start it... Do you have one round for home defense and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Carry ammo

Carry ammo

Okay, was hoping to see a discussion about this, so I might as well start it...
    Do you have one round for home defense and public carry or do you have different rounds for different situations and locations?
    Me...I have different round per weapon, per location.

I have a different round per weapon, but only because the ballistics are different per firearm so I choose the ammo I feel eeks out the greatest advantage for me.

Other than that, the only other ammo change I do is switch to hardcast magnums in the woods.

I have a carry gun - which I also carry at home. Then I have "HD" guns, which wouldn't be taken out of the home. They are different calibers....so, yeah, different ammo.

Austin

I use winchester ranger in two different calibers for my defense guns.

I guess I could add to this rather than make a new thread. But for you who know 45, my local store has 230 gr and 200 no plus p. which would do better in a 3 and a half inch citadel? Opinions?

It doesn't matter what caliber or if it's home or carry it is always Federal HST. We use our carry pistols as our home defense pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    It doesn't matter what caliber or if it's home or carry it is always Federal HST. We use our carry pistols as our home defense pistols.
    I envy you. I've been hunting up and down for some and I can't find it

Any opinion on critical duty by hornady?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddydon View Post
    I envy you. I've been hunting up and down for some and I can't find it
    Ammo To Go : Your one stop for all of your ammunition needs! usually has it.
    aus71383 likes this.

Also Streichers.com and Natchezss.com have HST frequently.

For 9mm and .45 - it's HST. for 10mm and .38, Gold Dot.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Thank you much, no go though for 45.

Anyone know if getting golddot short barrel for a three and a half in her is too much?

MJK
    I use 185 gr DPX for all of my handguns but my primary HD weapon holds eight rounds of #1 buck. Check out DocGKR's recommendations for service/HD loads:
    Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Fascinating. But I prefer my 45. I have shot it better than any other caliber. And I'm ahead of you on the DPX. That's my load too, but I have 8 different options for a carry load. Lol, it's ridiculous. I have a use for all of them but I don't know. I want one that can do everything. Beat barriers, go through bone and still expand. I'm thinking that's critical duty

Quote Originally Posted by Daddydon View Post
    Fascinating. But I prefer my 45. I have shot it better than any other caliber. And I'm ahead of you on the DPX. That's my load too, but I have 8 different options for a carry load. Lol, it's ridiculous. I have a use for all of them but I don't know. I want one that can do everything. Beat barriers, go through bone and still expand. I'm thinking that's critical duty
    HSTs can do that and I've heard good things about Gold Dots to. I haven't seen HSTs for 45 in awhile but ammo to go gets them in somewhat frequently, every couple of months. I'm down to may last box and I need to shoot it. I haven't heard too much on the Critical Defense or seen any gel tests on it so I can't comment. I do know what ever you do stay away from Hydra Shoks. They don't work well at all and tent to act more like FMJs. Golden Sabres tend to shed their jackets and lose weight and penetration.
    Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Handgun

Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Handgun Details

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    Yep Yep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links