Who Needs Violent Video Games When You Have Youtube and MTV?

This is a discussion on Who Needs Violent Video Games When You Have Youtube and MTV? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This video is over twenty years old. I remember sometime in 1993 when MTV announced that they had shown it for the one thousandth time. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Alex_C
  • 1 Post By Alex_C

Thread: Who Needs Violent Video Games When You Have Youtube and MTV?

VIP Member

This video is over twenty years old. I remember sometime in 1993 when MTV announced that they had shown it for the one thousandth time. Fifteen million Youtube views later... It was many years before I realized the final depiction was a public suicide rather than a mass shooting in a classroom. It has occurred to me often that portrayals like this could be very inspirational to the disenfranchised, troubled, medicated, and disturbed. I have always found this particular video disturbing, and you may, too:
    Pearl Jam - Jeremy - YouTube
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I was always disturbed by the Ooompa Loompa scenes in Willy Wonka. Something wasn't "right" about that.

One could even say that showing jumpers from the twin towers on 9/11 on the news 24x7 for a week catered to the suicidal elements in our culture, a few of whom likely took inspiration from such repeated viewings.

But then, it's little different than the "inspiration" claimed from books and other media by those seeking to shut down such things.

IMO, when it reaches the point of clear incitement, clear threats or outright harm, that's when the line has been crossed. Otherwise, we're heading down a path that has only arbitrary slippery "lines" being drawn.

Seems to me that inoculating children by raising them to distinguish between trash and value is about the best thing we can do short of bans on such things. Such as, with "gun-proofing" a child to know about firearms safety and handling as a way to avoid accidents/errors. Same with the whole range of things: drugs, media, advertising, any important choices of quality a person needs to make, etc.
    cmdrdredd likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Why is mankind so fascinated with hysteria...

Swine flu, SARS, Mad Cow, Bird Flu, Y2K, Another Ice Age, Global Warming, End of Mayan Calendar, Exploding World Overpopulation and Mass Starvation, THE SKY FALLING.

Next up: Guns n' Video Games ...followed by breathing. Because everyone knows that once you're born, you're already dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    followed by breathing. Because everyone knows that once you're born, your already dying.
    Air is poisonous, it just takes 80 years to kill us.
    Lotus222 likes this.

To reinforce the OP's point, the Parker county murderer confessed he got his motivation from a movie.

In confession, Parker County teen says killing mother, sister 'will haunt me forever' | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

The teen writes that he fantasized about killing his family. He said he watched Rob Zombie’s 2007 remake of “Halloween” three times leading up to the slayings, watching as a 12-year-old Michael Myers killed his family without remorse.
    “I was thinking to myself, it would be the same for me when I kill someone,” the confession says.

Part of me thinks we should look at restricting these movies, games, and videos to minors, but my moral compass tells me to leave it to the parents.
    Last edited by rigel42; January 25th, 2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: this reference was not the Arizona murders, this the Park County murders.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    Part of me thinks we should look at restricting these movies, games, and videos to minors, but my moral compass tells me to leave it to the parents.
    Movies and games already have a rating system. Should be easy to keep them out of the hands of people who don't meet the age restrictions that are already in place. It's parents who blindly buy movies and games for their kids without taking interest in what their kids are looking at that's the real issue.

"Parenting" these days seems to mean "give your kid an electronic device and let them sit in their room all day so the parent doesn't have to interact with them". That's not to say the movie/game/whatever is to blame, it's just the tool the deadbeat parent uses so the kid doesn't "bother" them by wanting to play, learn and develop social skills and morals.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    To reinforce the OP's point, the Parker county murderer confessed he got his motivation from a movie.

In confession, Parker County teen says killing mother, sister 'will haunt me forever' | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Just because some psycho kid said it was because of the video games, it doesn't make it true. There is an underlying serious problem. Blaming the game is a cop-out. I'm curious as to what your feelings are with book burnings/banning. It's the exact same principal.

Sponsored Links