Defensive Carry banner

What is going on with Handgun and Ammo Availability

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  1MoreGoodGuy 
#1 ·
OK, I have to admit that I am a newbe and I don’t bother to read the papers or watch the junk on TV, but one thing I don’t fully understand is what is going on with the availability of handguns and ammo. I e-mailed several places today to see if they happen to have a 9mm S&W Shield in stock and between the polite no's and a response that they may be available in a few years, it has me wondering what is going on.

To my understanding, there is nothing being introduced that will limit or ban these style of guns is there? Am I crazy for wanting this particular gun or should I just move on and find something else?

As for ammo, I can kind of understand why people are stocking up and I have heard a few conspiracy theories. But still, complete sell outs of particular calibers?

#2 ·
You need to come out from under that rock a little more often.

When Feinstein said she would reintroduce the AWB and high cap legislation right before christmas there was a run on all things firearm related.

I predict around June we will be getting back to normal.

#3 ·
You need to come out from under that rock a little more often.
I would come out from under the rock, but then I have to climb into the sewer to deal with the media. I rather just ask knowledgeable people (like you) who will tell it like it is without the BS political spin that you would get from the alphabet soup (ABC,CBS,NBC,CNN,FOX,MSNBC,BBC...)

June, ouch. That is a kick in the head. But then again, with the processing delays, I might end up with my CPL until then.

#4 ·
Well, the Shield has been hard to get since it became available to the public due to it's performance and popularity. I wouldn't be surprised to hear "no" and "months of backorders" even if there wasn't anything going on with the AWB right now.

As for other guns and ammo, people are stocking up right now out of fear the AWB will be enacted. Semi-automatic firearms and common calibers will be in short supply because so many people are buying them up. I also believe that all the talk on the news has enlightened people as to their rights and how they're being threatened, and people want to exercise those rights. Between that and the increased reporting of violent crime, people more and more want to carry a firearm. That likely explains why some folks are finding certain firearms hard to get.

#5 ·
You seriously need to wake up and educate yourself on current events.

Elected official want to pass legislation or issue executive orders which will limit the quantity and frequency of your ammo purchases, require you to register for a permit to purchase ammo, require background checks on all ammo purchases, impose exorbitant taxes on ammo, etc.

Educate yourself and start writing/calling your elected officials so often that they know your name by heart.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Reactions: gregnsc
#6 ·
Your best bet is to place a special order. I too am having this issue and recently had to put a special order in. But with all the people trying to get ar's and ak's they are more back logged then drug court. The guy on the phone today said they normally send out a few hundred special orders for ar's alone a week since this b.s started happening. It's jut a waiting game now.

speaking of special orders it has been 3 weeks and I am still waiting on a call back for pricing and availability. Not to be confused with even placing the order. I'm sure I'm looking at months. You likely are too.

#8 ·
The Shield is a new gun and has been hard to come by before any crap hit the fan.Your trying to buy a gun that was hard to get,and as far as ammo the same thing happened 4 years ago and it was around 9 months maybe longer before it started sitting on shelves more than a few minutes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.