Rant on incomplete FFL paperwork!

This is a discussion on Rant on incomplete FFL paperwork! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Of late I have decided to sell a half dozen firearms. Purposefully, I went to several forums that are name-brand specific for each firearm. In ...

Thread: Rant on incomplete FFL paperwork!

Distinguished Member

Rant on incomplete FFL paperwork!

Of late I have decided to sell a half dozen firearms. Purposefully, I went to several forums that are name-brand specific for each firearm. In the past week I have had my patience worn thin by buyers and sellers (purchased several firearms as well). Let me say, up front that a) I know full-well that gun dealers are absolutely slammed and so I give them a wide margin of grace in both shipping and receiving firearms and b) I do not expect every seller/buyer to be shipping savie when it comes to firearms and the law and c) I realize that there are a hodgepodge of dealers that have varying requirements as to what information they want in either receiving or shipping a firearm in addition to what Uncle Sam wants. There, I think I've covered the exceptions to this rant.

It's like this week has been "National Murphy's Law for Firearm Purchases/Sales Week". One guy, no lie, sent me four emails and five voice mails the hour after he hit, "I'll take it". And, of course, that was the first firearm I ever sold where it all went wrong. After giving a controlled flame to my own FFL for not shipping the sold firearm a full week after I dropped it off, addressed, packaged, and postage paid, I then find out the other guy's FFL lied not once, but three times in saying he sent the FFL. The only reason I know the guy was not truthful is because when I called the shop, his assistant answered and clearly indicated no email had been sent. I had to turn around, hat in hand, and eat crow with my own FFL.

in every sale, I try to inform purchaser/seller that they need, depending on sending or receiving, a copy of a photo id with address, a bill of sale, the FFL address and license, and a money order or Paypal address. Currently I have three firearms sitting at my FFL dealer, which I purchased, all with either incomplete paperwork or no paperwork at all. I have three firearms that I sold, sitting in that same dealer's shop, boxed, postage affixed, addressed, with receipt, and awaiting an FFL license. If the paperwork does not come in tomorrow, it will be Tuesday before the store is opened and I can either receive or send firearms...provided the paperwork came in over the weekend. What part of "you need to do this" do they miss? We don't cut corners on interstate shipping of firearm paperwork. Next time, oh, next time, it will be a local sale. Grrrrrrrrr!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

Maybe sell the guns to your dealer? Then he can deal with the drama. Sounds like an "interesting" experience.

Austin

Re: Rant on incomplete FFL paperwork!

Maybe put them on consignment at your dealer.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Links