advice on holsters for G23

This is a discussion on advice on holsters for G23 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just finished up my CCW course at my local LGS and now its time to talk holsters. Have one already for my SD40ve, but just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: advice on holsters for G23

  1. #1
    Member Array FLGlocker23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    40

    advice on holsters for G23

    Just finished up my CCW course at my local LGS and now its time to talk holsters. Have one already for my SD40ve, but just got a G23 and looking to pick up a quick holster for now. Then in a 2-3 months (when my concealed permits hopefully arrives) going to invest in a top quality IWB holster. But for now I saw on glock.com homesite they sell their basic "sport" holster for only 14$. Thats a killer deal. or is it? is this thing a waste of money and I should spend the 15 bucks extra for a blackhawk or fobus or a like brand? Thanks for everyones help. I would also like to use this one for future OWB use on winter days or days I'm wearing larger clothing.
    Attached Images

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array bschwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    198
    You could check out midwayusa.com and search by gun make and model and they will have a bunch of different holsters for you to check out. I have a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB for my Glock 23 and love it. It is much more comfortable than my previous holster (I can't remember what it was it was that bad). Anyway, I feel like a lot of folks will say you get what you pay for when it comes to buying a holster.
    FLGlocker23 likes this.

  4. #3
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by FLGlocker23 View Post
    Just finished up my CCW course at my local LGS and now its time to talk holsters. Have one already for my SD40ve, but just got a G23 and looking to pick up a quick holster for now. Then in a 2-3 months (when my concealed permits hopefully arrives) going to invest in a top quality IWB holster. But for now I saw on glock.com homesite they sell their basic "sport" holster for only 14$. Thats a killer deal. or is it? is this thing a waste of money and I should spend the 15 bucks extra for a blackhawk or fobus or a like brand? Thanks for everyones help. I would also like to use this one for future OWB use on winter days or days I'm wearing larger clothing.
    It is a fourteen dollar holster, nothing more... molded plastic, cut-outs for belt size, exposed muzzle, no retention, friction or otherwise.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  5. #4
    Member Array FLGlocker23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    40

    advice on holsters for G23

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It is a fourteen dollar holster, nothing more... molded plastic, cut-outs for belt size, exposed muzzle, no retention, friction or otherwise.
    Yeah I realize you get what you pay for when its a 14$ holster. But it won't be my primary. Just something for a few months then will be making a purchase on a nice one. I saw the price tag it made me severely question what quality I will get in return. I guess with it made by glock quality should be fine, I guess in the functionality category is where I'm concerned.

    You say "no retention", by that what do you mean.

  6. #5
    Member Array FLGlocker23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    40

    advice on holsters for G23

    Quote Originally Posted by bschwan View Post
    You could check out midwayusa.com and search by gun make and model and they will have a bunch of different holsters for you to check out. I have a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB for my Glock 23 and love it. It is much more comfortable than my previous holster (I can't remember what it was it was that bad). Anyway, I feel like a lot of folks will say you get what you pay for when it comes to buying a holster.
    Heard alot of people recommending the comp-tac line. Will definitely be putting that on my shopping list for my primary holster down the road. Thanks for the help!

  7. #6
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by FLGlocker23 View Post
    Yeah I realize you get what you pay for when its a 14$ holster. But it won't be my primary. Just something for a few months then will be making a purchase on a nice one. I saw the price tag it made me severely question what quality I will get in return. I guess with it made by glock quality should be fine, I guess in the functionality category is where I'm concerned.

    You say "no retention", by that what do you mean.
    Retention is what keeps the gun in the holster, be it friction, strap or mechanical device.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  8. #7
    Sponsor
    Array SHTFGearLLC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    992
    I would give a look to a quality hybrid design for IWB, its a great option for the midsized glocks , I carry a G32 in one daily.

    Here is one for your Glock.

    Glock 19/23/32 ACE-1 Holster


    Bullet, Trigger 2-Web.jpgGlock-gun-left-2000.jpgGlock-gun-front-right-1500.jpgGlock-gun-front-left-1500.jpgGlock-front-right-1500.jpgfeature, small.jpg

  9. #8
    Member Array FLGlocker23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    40

    advice on holsters for G23

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Retention is what keeps the gun in the holster, be it friction, strap or mechanical device.
    Ah ha I see now. And I see its obvious importance. This holster pictured has no features that keep the gun in the holster regardless of surrounding actions, so this gun could be liable to bounce out if running, jumping or doing something of that nature

  10. #9
    Member Array FLGlocker23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    40

    advice on holsters for G23

    [QUOTE=SHTFGearLLC;2573304]I would give a look to a quality hybrid design for IWB, its a great option for the midsized glocks , I carry a G32 in one daily.

    Here is one for your Glock.

    Glock 19/23/32 ACE-1 Holster


    Yes I've been looking into these as well for my "main" carry holster. Is that a crossbreed? It looks very similar to the ones I was checking out on their website

  11. #10
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by FLGlocker23 View Post
    Ah ha I see now. And I see its obvious importance. This holster pictured has no features that keep the gun in the holster regardless of surrounding actions, so this gun could be liable to bounce out if running, jumping or doing something of that nature
    Correct. I use this holster as a range holster for students who have yet to get their own set-up, but nothing else.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  12. #11
    Member Array FLGlocker23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    40

    advice on holsters for G23

    I'm just not trying to drop 60-100 on a holster this moment. I just got done forking out funds for the CCW. But would I get a "marketably" better holster with the next step up ie forbus, Blackhawk, etc in the more 20-40$ range?

  13. #12
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by FLGlocker23 View Post
    I'm just not trying to drop 60-100 on a holster this moment. I just got done forking out funds for the CCW. But would I get a "marketably" better holster with the next step up ie forbus, Blackhawk, etc in the more 20-40$ range?
    I would go with the $14 Glock holster before I would use either of the other two, but that's just me. Decent holsters I recommend start at around $80.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  14. #13
    Member Array WICCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    44
    I would recommend the Fobus for quality and retention. In my opinion the extra $15 for these holsters is worth the money. I know many people who own and use Fobus holsters every day and have nothing but good things to say about them.

  15. #14
    Member Array FLGlocker23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    40

    advice on holsters for G23

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I would go with the $14 Glock holster before I would use either of the other two, but that's just me. Decent holsters I recommend start at around $80.
    10-4. And there lies my main purpose with this thread and thank you for helping me achieve it. Not looking for best holster available on this thread. I just don't want to waste 30$ on something I can get just as good with the 14$ glock basic. Because I would rather put that 15$ difference towards a high quality one in the upper price ranges when I'm ready for that purchase next.

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array aus71383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,543

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

carry holster g23
,
ccw holster g23
,
crossbreed holster g23
,

fobus sd40ve

,

g23 holster

,
g23 holsters
,
g23 old faithful holster
,
hybrid holsters iwb g23
,
paddle holster g23
,
sd40ve concealed carry holster
Click on a term to search for related topics.