Trigger Locks

This is a discussion on Trigger Locks within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in a LGStore today and they started putting trigger locks on on all of their firearms for sale. New and used. I asked ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bardo
  • 1 Post By wingit
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Trigger Locks

Trigger Locks

I was in a LGStore today and they started putting trigger locks on on all of their firearms for sale. New and used.

I asked to see a new one, a Ruger pistol, and they let me check it out but refused to remove the lock. So I asked why ?? and the guy behind the counter said it's their new store policy. I asked him, when did you start doing this? I was just in here about a week ago and none of your firearms had any locks on them. The guy said they just started doing it this week. He added what do you want me to remove the lock for? I said so I could feel the trigger response and how it resets. He asked why? I just kind ah looked at him, handed him the gun, and left.

Question:
    Would you buy any firearm, even new out of the box, if they refused to remove a trigger lock? Wouldn't feeling how the trigger responds and where the reset is, be apart of your inspection? New or used? Or is that just being a bit too much? Am I paying too much attention to detail?

I'm not OCD that I know of anyways

2. Remove Ads

Well I could see the reasons why they would do that but if they were going to do that it should be done from day one and not randomly at some point down the road. I think clearing the weapon is enough for them to do before handing someone a gun to look at. I've never heard of a gun shop doing this and it is weird. Especially seeing how hey should know that people look for that. Not even dickssportinggoods does that (though I no longer use them for reasons we all know of) so they should lighten up.

To answer the question though I normally do research for months prior to going in and already have a good idea about what I'm buying. Is there some kind of range that you could rent that gun at to check it out? Maybe a different shop?

The Academy Sports in El Paso put trigger locks on all of their firearms. I personally don't like it.

VIP Member
    The Base Exchange here at Seymour Johnson has trigger locks on all the firearms on display but when you ask to look at one they remove it before handing it to you. As far as the LGS none of them around here have trigger locks on any firearms.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Trigger Locks

Question:
    Would you buy any firearm, even new out of the box, if they refused to remove a trigger lock? Wouldn't feeling how the trigger responds and where the reset is, be apart of your inspection? New or used? Or is that just being a bit too much? Am I paying too much attention to detail?

I'm not OCD that I know of anyways
    To me, this is one of the most important aspects of buying a gun.
    Tzadik likes this.

When I was looking to buy a motorcycle a few years ago, most of the dealers had a comparable policy.
    "Want a test drive? We'll rent you one, and credit the rental fee if you buy."
    Problem is, they may not have a rental for the model I want, and it won't tell me anything if I'm looking at a used bike.
    "So sad, too bad. Insurance says you can't take it off the stand or start it yourself unless you own it."

When they are the only game in town, you may have no choice.
    Now, there is a dealer nearby who says "take it (used bike) for a few hours and see what you think." They're gonna be my dealer from now on.
    Even they, though, are antsy about NEW bikes.

VIP Member
    Their store, they can implement any policy they want. You have to option of going somewhere else. The only reason I can see for it would to keep people from dry firing the guns. They could resolve that by having snap caps available to use.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My Local Dicks Sporting Goods

Even before the sandy hook shootings my local dicks had trigger locks on their guns....... although i did
    not purchase a gun there.... i do that at cabelas or local gun shops...... i know they already had a policy.

Bass pro shops has the same policy here.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I like feeling the trigger pull myself. It's the most important part of the gun.
    remington79 likes this.

VIP Member
    Too many places to shop to be wasting time with one who won't let me try things on.
    remington79 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I would find another shop to buy from. I'm a touchy feely kinda guy ... ask my wife.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Their store, they can implement any policy they want. You have to option of going somewhere else. The only reason I can see for it would to keep people from dry firing the guns. They could resolve that by having snap caps available to use.
    They do it so someone can't load it and rob the store. That's what Bass Pro Shop told me.

Links