I finally found a safe for my car

This is a discussion on I finally found a safe for my car within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It was a pain because it seems everything good is made for a truck or some kind of SUV so I had to go with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally found a safe for my car

It was a pain because it seems everything good is made for a truck or some kind of SUV so I had to go with something that isn't particularly great but I think it is about as good as its going to get as far as options go. Or at least from what I have found from my dozens of google pages.GunVault NanoVault 200 is what I went with GunVault NanoVault 200 Portable Gun Safe*|*Meijer.com and am happy with it thus far. I only have to use it if I am going to a shop that's just around the corner in Maine or have an unexpected gathering at a location I can't bring it (hate those last minute lets go to the bar one's group of friends suddenly do from time to time).

anyway does anyone have experiences with these? How'd it work out for you?

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I think I have the 300. It is very convenient to lock it to the seat frame. In a pinch, you can lock it to a solid object in a hotel room. This isn't a home safe. It is a convenient, mobile option and fills that niche well. I'm pretty easy on it, but the finish is durable and the foam has held up. I'm happy.

Worth looking at If I could find one locally. More of a hands on guy.

How about the foam ... read a lot of reviews of really smelly foam that was a real deal breaker ???
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post

How about the foam ... read a lot of reviews of really smelly foam that was a real deal breaker ???
    I have three NV300 vaults and the foam does not smell at all.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    The foam smelled on mine for a couple of days. Hasn't been a problem since a few days after I first used it.

Re: I finally found a safe for my car

I have a nanovault. No smelly foam and works great. I know it isn't Fort Knox, but I rarely leave my EDC in my truck. It's really there to satisfy state legal requirements if I ever really need to. There are places that, by law, I cannot exit the vehicle without disarming and locking it up.

Sent using my Tap-a-talkinator
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

My does smell a little. It isn't like a dead animal smell it something that is going to make you sick. It isn't a particularly strong smell ether. I also found a lot of people complain about it and IMO need to pull their big girl pants on because it isn't that bad. I bought mine yesterday and I don't notice a smell anymore. Just let it air out. Worth getting I think.

Mine does smell a little. It isn't like a dead animal smell it something that is going to make you sick. It isn't a particularly strong smell ether. I also found a lot of people complain about it and IMO need to pull their big girl pants on because it isn't that bad. I bought mine yesterday and I don't notice a smell anymore. Just let it air out. Worth getting I think.

I have a Stack On portable safe and it seems to work well so far. Like most, if not all, portable "safes" it isn't as impenetrable as Fort Knox. Basically slows down the honest people. However, for a short stop at a restaurant or whatever, it's better than the glovebox or just throwing the gun under the seat. It comes with a cable that can wrap around the seat frame to slow down a would-be thief, but a bolt cutter would defeat the cable in short order.

Amazon.com: Stack-On PC-650 Portable Safe with Electronic Lock, Black: Home Improvement
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Just don't get to comfy with the security it provides. I know there's not a lot of good options when space is an issue.
    Attached Images

I have one, and I found the smell unacceptable, but I found some advice that said to just run the foam through the clothes washer once with detergent and let it air dry. That worked great, doesn't stink anymore. I did get a tear though, so one thing I'd recommend is putting it in a cloth bag or something when doing that to keep it in tact.

I can put such a safe in my wife's Toyota or my P/U, and you won't find it.
    Pretty easy to hide which is what makes it 'safe' to use for short periods of time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I used a nanovault for a while and liked it, but was a little concerned about the cable being cut. Got a carry vault. Base bolted to floor. Has combination lock. Easy to remove after opening. The "vault" is heavy steel with handle. Really like it

I have a NV300 for use in my truck and the nanovault for use in my wifes when we can't carry. They work well for a quick storage option when you have to be in a gun free zone. Both did smell for a short time, but quickly went away. I'm not a fan of the small security cable that came with it so I'm thinking of replacing it with a Kryptonite cable to a little added peace of mind. Has anyone done this?
    ProductInformation
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

NRA Member
    NRA Certified RSO, Shotgun & Rifle Instructor

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I use a similar safe, Secure It, in my vehicles and have one attached within two of my suitcases. Meets all TSA rules for the weapon and ammo. They are designed for short time storage in a vehicle, not full time.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links