Stand alone or built in safe?

This is a discussion on Stand alone or built in safe? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A buddy of mine just got a stand alone liberty safe but his wife hates it. So I am thinking that when I get mine, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Stand alone or built in safe?

Stand alone or built in safe?

A buddy of mine just got a stand alone liberty safe but his wife hates it. So I am thinking that when I get mine, I am going to build walls around it so it is fully hidden.

What are your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I thought about doing that in my last house since it was in a basement. Now that I've moved I'm glad I didn't. Mine is now in a closet in a spare bedroom. The bifold doors wouldn't close, so I pulled the spring loaded wheel down and popped the front of the doors out of the track. Now the doors come out several inches and then come together to hide the safe (closed without the fronts of the doors being in the tracks).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If you can hide it, all the better IMO. I know one person who built a vault into a closet. So when you open the closet door you are greeted with the vault door, but from the outside it appears to be a normal closet. He had a rather large home though, 5 bedroom.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

When we build our own house, we have plans for a hidden room, and the safe goes in there. We took some plans that we modified and was able to reclaim some wasted space that will be converted into the gun room.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I agree totally. Add some fire-rock to the inside of the enclosure (1.5 to 2" or so) and the door and ceiling (zero clearance to the safe), and you just increased the fire rating. Plus, it makes it hard for a BG to access, and you can disguise it as well. Pour some concrete into the wall voids around it (use metal studs) and you added more fire rating and some real defense.

Plan some extra space, and you have nice storage for ammo too, as well as other goodies.

When we convert the 2 car garage into a master bedroom suite, I will be putting in a 7' x 14' hidden safe room/storm shelter. Eight inch, steel reinforced concrete walls and ceiling.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I agree totally. Add some fire-rock to the inside of the enclosure (1.5 to 2" or so) and the door and ceiling (zero clearance to the safe), and you just increased the fire rating. Plus, it makes it hard for a BG to access, and you can disguise it as well. Pour some concrete into the wall voids around it (use metal studs) and you added more fire rating and some real defense.

Plan some extra space, and you have nice storage for ammo too, as well as other goodies.
    The space is big enough for the safe, reloading bench, and a nice area for shelving. The basic plans called for a "crawl space". No more crawl space, and since the original space called for concrete walls, it is an easy conversion, just a little bit of extra digging, and some masonry work. If we do it right, a guest can stay in one of the rooms where the entrance can be and they will never know its there. We plan on double layer fire rock on all normally framed portions of the room. The safe itself will be bolted to the concrete floor. Most of the modifications will be done once the contractors are done with the house.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

My wife just commented that we can hide our impossible to find Hostess Twinkies in it as well.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    My wife just commented that we can hide our impossible to find Hostess Twinkies in it as well.
    Maybe you could trade your Twinkies for a nice AR.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Re: Stand alone or built in safe?

Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    Maybe you could trade your Twinkies for a nice AR.
    How do you that think I got my Twinkies?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    aus71383 likes this.

Nice.

Another option would be to get a safe and if you think it's ugly, put some sheetrock around it and then frame some trim around it. You can turn it into a bookshelf....

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    When we convert the 2 car garage into a master bedroom suite, I will be putting in a 7' x 14' hidden safe room/storm shelter. Eight inch, steel reinforced concrete walls and ceiling.
    This is what we did, except we hollowed out under the 3 car garage, makes an 800 square foot vault/storm shelter. 8” poured reinforced walls, with an engineered ceiling, complete with vault door. It’s on its own heating/cooling zone with the geothermal unit. I’m in the process of framing it now. I'll put my current safe inside, so in effect a safe within a safe.

Chuck
    Bark'n and 45ACP4ever like this.
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    This is what we did, except we hollowed out under the 3 car garage, makes an 800 square foot vault/storm shelter. 8” poured reinforced walls, with an engineered ceiling, complete with vault door. It’s on its own heating/cooling zone with the geothermal unit. I’m in the process of framing it now. I'll put my current safe inside, so in effect a safe within a safe.

Chuck
    I have a friend who did the same thing with his home build. He did his during the initial build. Did you do your's after the home was already built as a retrofit, or did make it during the initial build?

I considered doing something like that after seeing my friends house, but it would be much more expensive to excavate below the garage. My wife and I are nearing retirement age, and it's just the two of us (plus a couple dogs), so we don't need that much sheltered/vault space. Just large enough to be an above ground tornado shelter and a place for my guns, ammo and some of our long term food reserves.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    When we build our own house, we have plans for a hidden room, and the safe goes in there. We took some plans that we modified and was able to reclaim some wasted space that will be converted into the gun room.
    Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I have a friend who did the same thing with his home build. He did his during the initial build. Did you do your's after the home was already built as a retrofit, or did make it during the initial build?

I considered doing something like that after seeing my friends house, but it would be much more expensive to excavate below the garage. My wife and I are nearing retirement age, and it's just the two of us (plus a couple dogs), so we don't need that much sheltered/vault space. Just large enough to be an above ground tornado shelter and a place for my guns, ammo and some of our long term food reserves.
    Bark’n,

We had it done as part of the initial build, that’s about the only way to make it cost effective. We were either going to do that, or under the front deck, which is pretty much the norm for new construction around here for a safe room.

The whole deal was about $7K before the framing, electric, vault door etc. The original front porch idea would have been around $3K, so an additional 4 for a whole lot more storage. It did sort of take on a life of its own and ended up larger than we need. Now my friends are comparing it to Burt Gummer’s “Rec Room” in Tremmors. Next “good idea” is to put in a small air rifle range on the 29’ side so my boy can practice.

For what you’re looking for the front porch would suffice easily.

We've also got dogs......that "good idea" turned into a "Dog Wash" station in the garage.

Chuck
    Bark'n likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links