So, we had a blow out.....

This is a discussion on So, we had a blow out..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My first suggestion is some new tires! Zero first-hand experience with Alaskan hunting, but a lot of second-hand input from a few friends who have. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: So, we had a blow out.....

My first suggestion is some new tires!

Zero first-hand experience with Alaskan hunting, but a lot of second-hand input from a few friends who have. In terms of greatest utility, I think the .308 is on the light end for the range of critters you'll be hunting there, especially ones that might make you dinner and not the diner. If I chose between the .308 and the .30-06, I'd definitely go for the latter. You have more options in the heavy-bullet range and more energy delivered on-target, especially if you hand load. But don't limit yourself to .30-06, either - you might look at the .300 Win Mag for a few percent more punch than the '06, or possibly the .338 caliber range. The .270/.280 class rounds are known for flat shooting, but I'd be looking for something that makes bigger holes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

id be looking at something in 7mm stw!

peep this Remington 700 Sendero 7MM STW : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I lived in Alaska, hunted moose and caribou, and I'd reccommend the -06 (what I used) over the 308 because you can load a heavier bullet. The -06 was about minimal up there, the 300 Win Mag being very popular, with the .338 being more popular for those with bears in mind. The 7mm looses some of its advantages with heavy bullets, and has a tendency to loosen teeth after a few shots.

Shooting range can vary greatly there, from nose length to over the horizon. I've shot caribou at 350+ yards and at 20 feet. They are really stupid and will come to you. Moose are where you find them, often across open marsh at longer range.
    I like this idea, the more I've been thinking .308 might be hard to come by, especially here recently. I also like the idea of reloading and making my own variant of ammo. I appreciate the input!!!
    "Sure, I've been called a xenophobe. But the truth is... I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country; and all the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called 'patriotism'."
    -Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Anyway, congratulations on the new baby! That is fun news for you! We lived in the OKC area for a few years. E-6, is that it? Loved seeing them! Thanks for the service!
    Sure is E-6B, spot on! Also, thank you very much!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Sure, I've been called a xenophobe. But the truth is... I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country; and all the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called 'patriotism'."
    -Kenny Powers

I would recommend the .300 Winchester Magnum. You can hand load it for what you are hunting.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I am sure you will get good answers to your weapon choice here.

I just wanted to say Congrats on the new baby AND a sensible wife .

Also....good driving. Glad you and the family are ok.
    Gbboykin likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links