So, we had a blow out.....

This is a discussion on So, we had a blow out..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First of all, Hello and salutations to every one! Well the wife and I just had a baby two weeks ago and we we're driving ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: So, we had a blow out.....

First of all, Hello and salutations to every one!

Well the wife and I just had a baby two weeks ago and we we're driving to my parents house to visit and let them take a look at their grand daughter. While on the drive we we're talking about the future of this nation and it turned to the topic of firearms. I'm an avid firearms enthusiast and I would love to get into a gunsmith school (looking into it). Currently, I'm in the Navy so that has to be put on hold for a little while until I can get out and use my G.I. Bill to finance. Any way, we we're on the topic of which guns I would purchase next. I have plenty of handguns and shotguns, but I lack in the department of high powered rifle. The only rifles I own are a "black rifle" (I refuse to call them "assault rifles") and a .22 LR. She's is very pro-firearms as she grew up in the last frontier of Alaska (I snagged a good one). I told her I was in the market for another "high capacity" or standard, as I call it, handgun such as a 9mm. I was also either looking at a 30-06 or 308 for high power rifle. So the conversation wraps up and "BANG" tire blows out. Thankfully, it went very well and I guided the vehicle to the side of the road where I proceeded to change the flat. So we get back on the road again going very slow now trying to make it to the next town and started feeling some big vibrations. So once again I pull over to the side and now the spare has gone flat. I remembered I had thrown a can of fix a flat in the trunk a couple weeks prior, so I empty the can of fix flat in the spare and we're ready to go again. This time staying on the shoulder with hazards going driving at 15MPH. Finally, we come up to the exit and wouldn't you know it. Exit 308. Was this a sign? I think so.....

Now, I need help from you guys. I need some advice as to which one to purchase. I've shot 30-06 but never 308. What would you recommend for Alaska big game hunting? Keep in mind I might have to reach out there a ways to tag some of these big game (caribou, musk cox, reindeer, moose). Also, recommend some good scopes because I want to invest in the scope just as much the rifle. I'm looking for a synthetic stock rifle as well, suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I hate flat tires. A 7mm mag should suit your needs just fine. Large caliber weapons are not a substitute for accuracy. If you invest in quality optics, a 7mm will bring down any North American big game animal. Shot placement is key.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Do you want a bolt action hunting-only type rifle? If so the 7mm caliber is outstanding for accuracy and big game performance.

From your post it sounded like you wanted a .308 - if that's the case there are quite a few semi-auto "military-type" rifles that normally use 20 round mags, but can also take 5 round mags for hunting. M1A, FAL, PTR-91 for a start.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I would also say the 7mm mag, it will take anything Alaska throws at it. Top it off with a nice Huskemaw scope and you are all set. Good luck.

Yes, it was a sign. A .308 would be a good choice.

VIP Member
    The 7MM Mag is a good choice but in my experience it had too much recoil for me; the 30/06 has taken everything from rabbits to elephants and with the proper bullets will serve you well. I do not have much experience with the 308 yet but it is very close to the 30/06 in performance. One other suggestion is the 7MM Mauser it is only a few fps slower than the 7MM Mag but the recoil is much less with the same bullets.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Gbboykin View Post
    First of all, Hello and salutations to every one!

Well the wife and I just had a baby two weeks ago and we we're driving to my parents house to visit and let them take a look at their grand daughter. While on the drive we we're talking about the future of this nation and it turned to the topic of firearms. I'm an avid firearms enthusiast and I would love to get into a gunsmith school (looking into it). Currently, I'm in the Navy so that has to be put on hold for a little while until I can get out and use my G.I. Bill to finance. Any way, we we're on the topic of which guns I would purchase next. I have plenty of handguns and shotguns, but I lack in the department of high powered rifle. The only rifles I own are a "black rifle" (I refuse to call them "assault rifles") and a .22 LR. She's is very pro-firearms as she grew up in the last frontier of Alaska (I snagged a good one). I told her I was in the market for another "high capacity" or standard, as I call it, handgun such as a 9mm. I was also either looking at a 30-06 or 308 for high power rifle. So the conversation wraps up and "BANG" tire blows out. Thankfully, it went very well and I guided the vehicle to the side of the road where I proceeded to change the flat. So we get back on the road again going very slow now trying to make it to the next town and started feeling some big vibrations. So once again I pull over to the side and now the spare has gone flat. I remembered I had thrown a can of fix a flat in the trunk a couple weeks prior, so I empty the can of fix flat in the spare and we're ready to go again. This time staying on the shoulder with hazards going driving at 15MPH. Finally, we come up to the exit and wouldn't you know it. Exit 308. Was this a sign? I think so.....

Now, I need help from you guys. I need some advice as to which one to purchase. I've shot 30-06 but never 308. What would you recommend for Alaska big game hunting? Keep in mind I might have to reach out there a ways to tag some of these big game (caribou, musk cox, reindeer, moose). Also, recommend some good scopes because I want to invest in the scope just as much the rifle. I'm looking for a synthetic stock rifle as well, suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
    I have a savage 10 fcp with accustock in .308 and it spot on. I would recommend you get one. Although they are a little pricey. I think I paid about $1500 all together. I got the cheapest crosshair scope there was at the shop ($140) and there is no issue in accuracy even with the cheap scope. Again I would strongly recommend this rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    I have a savage 10 fcp with accustock in .308 and it spot on. I would recommend you get one. Although they are a little pricey. I think I paid about $1500 all together. I got the cheapest crosshair scope there was at the shop ($140) and there is no issue in accuracy even with the cheap scope. Again I would strongly recommend this rifle.
    Where I hunt ground squirrels a Cheap scope has worked just fine also. The hunts are normally at mid day, and not in any kind of weather other than heat. I don't need the light gathering of a better scope because I'm not shooting at dawn or dusk. But if I were planning to hunt big game in AK..... DR

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I lived in Alaska, hunted moose and caribou, and I'd reccommend the -06 (what I used) over the 308 because you can load a heavier bullet. The -06 was about minimal up there, the 300 Win Mag being very popular, with the .338 being more popular for those with bears in mind. The 7mm looses some of its advantages with heavy bullets, and has a tendency to loosen teeth after a few shots.

Shooting range can vary greatly there, from nose length to over the horizon. I've shot caribou at 350+ yards and at 20 feet. They are really stupid and will come to you. Moose are where you find them, often across open marsh at longer range.
    oneshot likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Anyway, congratulations on the new baby! That is fun news for you! We lived in the OKC area for a few years. E-6, is that it? Loved seeing them! Thanks for the service!
    Gbboykin likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I have had a lot of good luck with my 30-06...but after what happend on your trip, sounds like a .308 is in your future.

When fate tell's ya something, Listen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I hate flat tires. A 7mm mag should suit your needs just fine. Large caliber weapons are not a substitute for accuracy. If you invest in quality optics, a 7mm will bring down any North American big game animal. Shot placement is key.

^^^Or its American equivalent^^^^^^^^^^^^

The 300 Win Mag.

.308 Caribou on down, with black bear thrown in.
    30.06 up to small brown bears, elk and perhaps moose.

300 Win Mag for everything, including those 5-700+ yard across range Ram and Goat shots, Polar bear, Grizzly Bear, and Moose, effectively.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Do you want a bolt action hunting-only type rifle? If so the 7mm caliber is outstanding for accuracy and big game performance.

From your post it sounded like you wanted a .308 - if that's the case there are quite a few semi-auto "military-type" rifles that normally use 20 round mags, but can also take 5 round mags for hunting. M1A, FAL, PTR-91 for a start.

Austin
    ^If he decides to go^^^^^^^^^^

With that type weapon/configuration, I would opt for the 6.8
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Congrats on the new bundle of joy! Being a parent is the best job ever! Flat tires scare the heck out of me. Glad you all are alright. I was told that the .06 was great because, as others have mentioned, it can take a heavier bullet. Additionally while 7mm may be slightly flatter the availability of ammo is less. Now in normal times that isnt a big deal, but I always consider the worst of times or reloading when buying. Can't wait to see what you get!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I know a lot of people are suggesting .308 and 7mm. I am not in a position to give advice on those, but I love the 30-06. The 30-06 is large enough to take any game in North America, and versatile enough to bring the loads down to something appropriate to smaller game. When reloading, one can customize a round to a wide variety of needs.

Your post had me thinking the "blow out" would be between your wife and yourself. For the first few months after each of my kids were born, I had no idea what position my wife would take on any topic. Liked a particular song yesterday, didn't mean she would like it today.
    Last edited by DMan; January 27th, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
    Gbboykin likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links