Flying to Chicago (ord) with handgun?

This is a discussion on Flying to Chicago (ord) with handgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I have flown to states that recognize my carry permit, it has been surprisingly simple to get through TSA with a handgun. Simply lock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Flying to Chicago (ord) with handgun?

When I have flown to states that recognize my carry permit, it has been surprisingly simple to get through TSA with a handgun. Simply lock it in a case and check it.

This time however I am flying into Chicago. I am aware that Chicago is a no gun zone. Chicago is not my final destination. I am flying in to help a friend pack then driving their car or rental moving truck back to TN.

So. How am I going to do that? Ord is listed in city limits and we all know you cannot even drive through Chicago with an unloaded gun in your car. I am assuming I am going to have a problem flying one into ORD.

Thoughts? I am thinking about shipping the slide and checking only the frame. What would you guys do? I know I know. Not fly to Chicago however I did not book the flight

I believe you can have the firearm in your car, unloaded in a case, out of the reach of the occupants of the car - meaning the trunk anywhere in Illinois. The no handgun ban was struck down by SCOTUS a few years ago. If you live in the city you must register your firearm but that doesn't apply to you. I would call the airline to see what the rules are.

VIP Member
    Yep contact airline or TSA may have a contact number on the web site. post any info you find out, thanks.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I think the problems have arisen when someone that was checked through ORD ended up getting stuck there and their bags were retrieved. Regardless, it might be good to have an attorney's business card handy. I wouldn't want to be made into a pawn in the gun control battle by Rahm and his minions...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I wouldn't try and carry only the frame (or any gun part). A gun, is a gun, is a gun to the TSA

O'Hare airport is part of the city of Chicago, but it is only connected to the city by a thin strip of land. So (unless you are actually going into the city) you will be outside the city limits of Chicago within minutes of leaving the airport. The rest of Illinois isn't nearly as nuts as the city. I think you will be fine, but you should probably have the handgun unloaded, in a case, in the trunk.

Added == p.s. I live in Idaho now, but before that lived north of Chicago for almost 30 years.

I would say since Chicago/Illinois is your destination,you are not driving/traveling through you will be stopping you need to leave your gun home,Federal traveling laws IMHO only cover you if you are driving through the State,since you plan on visiting there that would negate the traveling criteria
    OldVet likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Would this be a time when you could ship the gun to yourself at your friends house and pick it up when you get there?
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Would this be a time when you could ship the gun to yourself at your friends house and pick it up when you get there?
    FFL?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I think you would be SOL.

Because Chicago is your final flight destination, FOPA will not protect you. You are not an Illinois resident and don't have an Illinois FOID, so when you retrieve your checked bag, you will be in possession of a handgun inside Chicago without an FOID or LEOSA creds.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    FFL?
    I recall conversations where people would ship their guns to a friend's house (not ffl) in their own name for training sessions. The gun would have to be addressed to the gun owner in care of the home owner. I believe federal law allows this. I don't know all the details. It would be good if someone who is familiar with it would post. Of course this happening in Illinois/Chicago could make it impossible.

Tsa is a bunch of retards who apparently don't know their own policy. I called the ord number listed. They basically said No you can't check it since your going to ord. I asked for a supervisor and got the same answer.

I then called the main number to ask again and the person did not think it would be a problem so long as it was declared and packed properly. I am not sure what to do at this point.

According to the first agent (in chicago) the firearm would not be released to me in Chicago and I could opt for them to hold it until my return flight. I explained that Chicago was not my final destination and I had no return flight. I was just passing through. They advised again that the firearm would not be released to me in chicago city limits.

Just called the airline. They advised that the tsa restrictions would need to be met in Nashville however once the baggage was unloaded it goes straight to the carousel without any stoppage in ord. So it sounds like it should not be a problem.

So long as I am not in city limits for more than 24 hours the lawful transportation clause applies.

Any thoughts?

(430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑2)
    Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
    (a)
    (9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case;
    (10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in their resident state
    8-20-020
    (b)
    (17) a person while engaged in the lawful transportation of a firearm

8-20-090
    It shall not be a violation of this chapter if a person transporting a firearm or ammunition while engaged in interstate travel is in compliance with 18 U.S.C.A. 926A. There shall be a rebuttable presumption that any person within the city for more than 24 hours is not engaged in interstate travel, and is subject to the provisions of this chapter

Just the fact you had multiple answers would tell me all I need to know. The thought of not having protection is not a good thought but in this case I would not play the odds. We have all seen the cases where things do not work out. Are you willing to shell out thousands in legal fees and risk weeks in jail? You have to plan for it just in case. Will your job wait? Will the family survive that kind of legal challenge?

You are driving with a friend and so with two of you there should be minimal safety issues. By a baseball bat at Cabellas as you leave Chicago for the drive if you need to feel safe. In the end maybe you can get in some batting practice.

Just saying the bet bet is leave the gun at home this round. The environment just is not right to chance it. JMHO
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I am leaning towards shipping a firearm to the house in Wisconsin. You have very valid points and I agree.
    CaptSmith likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links