Have you ever used Gun Broker?

This is a discussion on Have you ever used Gun Broker? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Maverickx50 I won't say there are no good deals for guns out there some where. But if their are they will be ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Have you ever used Gun Broker?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I won't say there are no good deals for guns out there some where. But if their are they will be very hard to find. Most likely in an estate sale where the owners daughter is selling off the household stuff.
    I am not looking for an awesome deal or anything, but it is hard to justify a price that is 50% over the MSRP.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator

Re: Have you ever used Gun Broker?

I've bought and sold some stuff there before.

I've gotten some decent deals but nothing super.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, I use it about 5-6 times a week.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I recently bought a handgun there. Worked great. I used gunbroker since the local stores were out of the model I wanted and they said they had no idea when they would get more. I actually ended up paying a little less than if I bought it locally.

Yes, I've used GunBroker quite a bit to locate some items that are rare/briefly seen in stores. Works very well for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    I am not looking for an awesome deal or anything, but it is hard to justify a price that is 50% over the MSRP.
    Depends what you're looking for, and when, and what degree of patience you have in awaiting the right deal. The deals are out there, though not on all products.

Reality is, not all buyers are watching equally aggressively at all times for all products offered for sale. The trick is to be patient and diligent enough in watching for the right deal that you slip in under the radar while the others aren't looking.

BTW, what exactly are you looking for?

Be sure to create a basic search that notifies you when new items arrive. Some buyers have very short times on their auctions/ads. Hunt around for that item that is coming up on its expiration date while having had zero or only a few bids on it. In my experience, these tend to be the more-likely examples that'll go for less. Invariably, the ones I've bid on where there were many other bidders have resulted in a far higher price than I was willing to pay. And, simply putting in a given price that I'd be willing to pay hasn't seemed to be a solid strategy, alone, for getting the item I want.

The past sales history on GB shows there are deals to be had. Particularly on something that moves quite well (ie, a popular pistol), you'll find instances of uber-pricing, of tremendous competition (bids) for a given item, and of certain items that went unbid/unseen at a fairly decent price. It's those latter items you should be searching for, at a time when others don't seem to be paying attention to them. With patience and diligence, it'll happen at some point.

Data point: Did this basic technique when shopping for a certain used car, some years back. Monitored cars.com and a couple other tools; got notified via email/text when an exact match popped up. Ended up being the first to contact the seller within a few hours of the ad, and made the transaction soon after. Worked very nicely, though it took some months to get the deal. Have done much the same on a number of different firearms purchases, when there was zero inventory in the regional shops.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

when out and about looking at guns and stuff I use gunbroker.com for the high price and gunsamerica.com for middle price to see what I want to offer the store, haven't purchased anything there but look at the site often

VIP Member
    Yep use them a lot from over here but as stated do your homework ad read the fine print.

Often times you will find decent deals with free shipping on ammo which saves some money. I have never had an issue with anything.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I have bought both handguns and ammo from GB, and got great deals.... before Sandy Hook and the threatened AWB. The secret, as a few others have said, is to be patient, and do your research! When I'm looking for a particular model of pistol, I will "watch" that particular model from many different dealers all the way thru final sale price, while only submitting a low-ball bid just to be involved. Most times I won't bid at all... just watch. Many times I had as many as 10-15 watched items ending every day. After about three weeks of this, you should have a very good idea of what they're selling for... high AND low prices. Plus, you will see that some dealers may have a lot of a certain model that they are selling at a great price, with low or FREE shipping sometimes. Got a Nano for under $375 out-the-door of my FFL dealer ($25 fee and $20 shipping) just recently. I did notice that it seemed as if EVERYBODY had Nanos for sale cheap, almost like Beretta had flooded the market with them, and they are STILL a great bargain for such an excellent pistol!

Ammo sales are different. Are you buying in bulk (1000 rounds) or just a few boxes here and there? In bulk you can always find free shipping, smaller quantities not-so-much. Remember to add shipping cost to final auction price to get your cost-per-round, so you have to limit your bidding with the shipping cost in mind if you want to achieve a designated cost-per-bullet, and hold firm to your max bid. Check out the prices on ammo for the last month and you'll see people paying ridiculously high prices! I won't even submit low-ball bids on ammo now, I'm just going to wait it out till the panic buying goes away. Luckily enough, I started buying several months ago, even before the November election guaranteed that prices would be going up! I may just be able to wait this out.

Patience and Research!!! Set a limit, and stick to it! There is no gun shortage... another will come along in a day or two, maybe at a better price! Good luck!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Never had a problem with GB, but did have a problem with a seller that misrepresented the condition of the product at 80% when in fact on receipt it was at best a parts gun. Took a while working with GB and the seller, but I got my money back less the FFL fee. By the way the seller was a gun shop in Georgia that does a tremendous amount of business thru GB.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

BTW, what exactly are you looking for?
    9mm Shield. Some of them are going for more than $725.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Just saw an M&P Sport that had met the reserve and the the buy now price WAS 1900.00 lol

Oh, man, I should've looked a bit harder a few months ago...

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    While I have very limited experence with Gunbroker, I must say that the my experence has been very positive. I've been on the selling as well as the buying side and everything seems to go rather well. I recently bought an AR at a realistic price and the transaction was completed in about an hour and received the rifle 3 days later. I must admit though that I am a dealer so the paperwork was just a couple of emails and a single phone call to verify payment. The only concern I have at the moment is with an auction I currently have running. It has bid far, far in excess of its actual retail value and I hope I don't have a customer with buyers remorse.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Prices right now on GB are ridiculous. They have Glock 26's going for like 700 bucks!!!!
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Never used it to buy a firearm, but I've bought plenty of ammo and accessories through GB. Still visit it almost every day.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    9mm Shield. Some of them are going for more than $725.
    And many have recently (since ~Jan 15 or so) sold for $500-540, with a couple under $500. They're out there, if you nab them at the right time. Takes patience. Though, the Shield's fairly popular. Still, there are lots of them being sold through GB ads.

Right now, there are 10 no-reserve "M&P Shield 9mm auctions for under $530". Creating a search, saving it, requesting emails ... it'll notify you when one pops up with that criteria.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links