Great Buys After the Panic? - Page 2

Great Buys After the Panic?

This is a discussion on Great Buys After the Panic? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Prices over time always go up. IF they can't pass a ban, they'll add a tax stamp ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Great Buys After the Panic?

New Member Array BestOverallGuy's Avatar
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Prices over time always go up. IF they can't pass a ban, they'll add a tax stamp of some sore. $200 bucks here, $200 bucks there. I'm sure my $1000 AK will be worth more in 5 years or 10 years. It's every...what 10-12 years and there's a stock market crash. Maybe my $1000 over-priced AK will still be worth $1000.

Ammo is coming back, at least the domestic stuff is and I'm already seeing the big ammo sites and they are getting some import ammo back in now.
    And the weapons companies are waiting to see what happens with these political nuts

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    If a weapons/ammo manufacturer is two years behind on orders, has added to his labor force in an effort to increase production and has ordered the necessary materials to support increased production, as some say they have, and the weapons ban fails, they will be in deep dodo. Many orders will be canceled and the high demand will vanish until prices return to normal.

Another what if. What if the ban is approved and the weapons in production are on the ban list? Will they be grandfathered? If not, it will be the financial ruin for some companies.
    Given the way things are being run from D.C., they will get bailed out by the taxpayers.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Daddydon View Post
    Ammo is coming back, at least the domestic stuff is and I'm already seeing the big ammo sites and they are getting some import ammo back in now.
    And the weapons companies are waiting to see what happens with these political nuts
    Yep, seeing some big moderation in ammo prices on gunbroker.com just over the last week. Milsurp 7.62x51 NATO is now averaging less than a buck a round, where it was up around $1.20 in mid-January.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

I'm expecting prices to come back to reasonable rates, but I still think they will be more expensive than they were before the panic. No one will want to sell their $2,500 rifle for $1,500. Nor their $1,200 rife for $800. Plus, with all the retailers making more profits, why would they want to drastically reduce their profit margin anytime soon?

Senior Moderator
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I sincerley hope that there is an "after the panic" buying spree.
    I am hoping the same. In the meantime, I have a good supply for now. I'm not buying anything at these "panic" prices.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I suspect it will still be hard to find decent prices for quite a while since every store's stock of guns is dry right now. The people who just bought guns are absolutely not going to sell for a huge loss, and its going to take a while to re-stock all the shelves across the US. Until the market gets flooded, prices are going to stay high.

As for me, I'm more worried about a magazine capacity limit bill passing, so I have a couple 30 rd AR-15 mags on back order for a decent price. I don't have an AR yet, but I'm not too worried about getting one in the future. (I'm also NOT letting up on the emails to my representatives!)
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Food for thought....

There have been a lot of LE gun buy-backs going on. People turning guns in for a $10.00 gift card to K-Mart.

Been thinking...could you show up and offer someone more then $10.00? Might run the risk of a crime used firearm? But if you go to a dealer, and pay for the transfer. You would have a paper trail and if anything ever happens you would have paperwork of from whom, when, and where you got it to cover your fanny.

Just think of that widower who's turning in her late-husbands 1950 S&W Model 36 in mint condition!
    I have never been to one of these but I am going to make the assumption that most of these people think of themselves as "activists" and doing the "right thing" by getting them "off the street". I don't think you're likely to strike up a deal with any of them.

On the other hand, maybe I'll buy a few hundred hi-points and sell them at the buy-back for a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
    I have never been to one of these but I am going to make the assumption that most of these people think of themselves as "activists" and doing the "right thing" by getting them "off the street". I don't think you're likely to strike up a deal with any of them. On the other hand, maybe I'll buy a few hundred hi-points and sell them at the buy-back for a profit.
    Well you better be getting them Hi-Points for less then $10.00-ech because that's how much the gift cards are worth

Ammo is still short around here, Wally World got 150 boxes of remington 100rd packs, they sold out in less than 1 hour. (So says the guy at the counter) and Russian steel cased ammo was like 15bucks for 50. The whole country has gone mad.
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

Ill be tickled to see prices come back down from the stratosphere. And ammo become more available.

556/223 in very short supply here in Denver.
    Hit the local Bass Pro last week, and they just received a shipment of Rem .223 ($9.99 a box!!)

But, I got lucky.....Guess it's time to learn how to reload???
    Until the EPA starts to regulate powder/brass/primers/etc....

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I went to the Tampa Fl. Police buy back in Dec 2011 and turned in two Jennings parts guns and a unservicable Rohm that I bought at an estate auction made $145 on my $5 investment.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I'm holding out for $7500 for my AR! What do I need an assault rifle for? I don't hunt. Oh yes, that pesky tyranny thing...

I think a lot of the people buying black rifles have no intention of selling them any time soon. I think a lot of people bought extras to turn in to the storm troopers because they weren't expecting to lose the rest when their boat tipped over.

I don't think prices will ever return to previous levels. It hasn't in the past. I think we will see a new price point of about $1000 for $600 AR's and maybe $1,400 for Colt LE's and such. Same with AK's - they will start hovering around the $1,000 and up mark. No more $350 WASR's.

I also think if run rights prevail long term that there will eventually be more come on for resale as people get complacent again. But if "they" continue to chip away at gun ownership, prices will continue high.

Also don't discount the coming inflation that is inevitable. Prices will inflate generally. The good news is guns, gold and real estate will inflate right along with it!

Just my predictions, hope I'm wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links