Great Buys After the Panic?

This is a discussion on Great Buys After the Panic? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone else thinking about the great buys they are going to be able to get after the AWB doesn't pass, and people realize that they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Great Buys After the Panic?

Great Buys After the Panic?

Anyone else thinking about the great buys they are going to be able to get after the AWB doesn't pass, and people realize that they shouldn't have paid $2500 for an AR, $1500 for an AK, and $600 for a 10/22?

I figure the market will be flooded with people selling them back at the same time that manufacturers are producing tons of them to restock shelves... could mean some low prices on nice guns.

What do you think?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

Great buys usually abound when we go through a recession, jobs are lost, and people need cash. If you're fortunate enough to not be one of the ones having lost your job and you have cash on hand, you can pick up some things at great prices. I wouldn't expect a big flood of supply on the market until such large scale recession hits.
    Tangle likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I tend to agree. Prices will moderate only if demand doesn't stay high. I know dozens of people who were on the fence about buying pistols or semiautomatic rifles who will be paying whatever, whenever there's a chance. And then there are guys like me who just want more of all of it.
    bigmacque likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

i kind of wonder how long pricing will take to return to "normal" levels, or if the market being flooded with stuff people over-paid for will keep costs up. i guess time will tell, right?

that being said, i have seen some good deals over the last few weeks. i picked up a like-new S&W 4006 TSW w/6 mags for less than $400. conversely, i also saw some guy trying desperately to unload a Glock 17 w/2 mags for $800.

I kind of doubt we see a glut of second hand supply of guns. I'll be keeping an eye out for ammo though.
    vilecanards likes this.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Here's to hoping.

For now, i'd just like to see ammo get back to normal.

Senior Moderator
    I sincerley hope that there is an "after the panic" buying spree.

Considering the out of touch idiots that we have running this country, the fact that the major manufactures have years of back logs as well as the ammo companys, states like New York enacting laws that infringe upon your right to bear arms, other states talking about it and just one more whacko going on a killing spree in a target rich environment somewhere...it may be quite a while until the "panic" goes away.
    BugDude and atctimmy like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    If a weapons/ammo manufacturer is two years behind on orders, has added to his labor force in an effort to increase production and has ordered the necessary materials to support increased production, as some say they have, and the weapons ban fails, they will be in deep dodo. Many orders will be canceled and the high demand will vanish until prices return to normal.

Another what if. What if the ban is approved and the weapons in production are on the ban list? Will they be grandfathered? If not, it will be the financial ruin for some companies.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

A gun dealer called adistributor to get put on a list for a High End AR currently priced at over $3000,the guy said sure we are taking orders for 2017...A 4 YEAR BACKLOG
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Doesn't look like the weapon ban has a lot of support from the rural Democrats, and the Republicans are not going to go for it if for no other reason than to spite Obama. I will probably be purchasing guns more for their conceal ability rather than their capacity. I have a number of pistols, now maybe I will go with some revolvers.

I believe that obama will continue to press for more and more restrictive gun control his entire term. Therefore, while people may build up their personal supply of both guns and ammo to a comfortable level, I don't envision them wanting to sell it. Rather once people get what they consider a decent supply they will want to maintain it and even add more as funds permit.
    vilecanards likes this.

Food for thought....

There have been a lot of LE gun buy-backs going on. People turning guns in for a $10.00 gift card to K-Mart.

Been thinking...could you show up and offer someone more then $10.00? Might run the risk of a crime used firearm? But if you go to a dealer, and pay for the transfer. You would have a paper trail and if anything ever happens you would have paperwork of from whom, when, and where you got it to cover your fanny.

Just think of that widower who's turning in her late-husbands 1950 S&W Model 36 in mint condition!
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    If a weapons/ammo manufacturer is two years behind on orders, has added to his labor force in an effort to increase production and has ordered the necessary materials to support increased production, as some say they have, and the weapons ban fails, they will be in deep dodo. Many orders will be canceled and the high demand will vanish until prices return to normal. Another what if. What if the ban is approved and the weapons in production are on the ban list? Will they be grandfathered? If not, it will be the financial ruin for some companies.
    IF there is a ban then the way it looks is once the stock of banned items runs out.....that's all folks

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    I tend to agree. Prices will moderate only if demand doesn't stay high. I know dozens of people who were on the fence about buying pistols or semiautomatic rifles who will be paying whatever, whenever there's a chance. And then there are guys like me who just want more of all of it.
    That's why our FREE MARKET, CAPITALIST economy thrives on the principle of supply and demand.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

People hate to lock in a paper loss. Eventually they succumb. I hate to think what conditions would drive someone to part with a functional live saving tool like a rifle.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links