Where/What State - Should I (We) Move?

This is a discussion on Where/What State - Should I (We) Move? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I agree with everyone who says not to make your decision on any one factor. Do you have a lot of extended family? Are you ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Where/What State - Should I (We) Move?

VIP Member
    I agree with everyone who says not to make your decision on any one factor.

Do you have a lot of extended family? Are you close to them and enjoy spending holidays and special occasions with them? If so, stay within an easy drive. Have you lived in NJ all your life? If so, you're used to 4 seasons and might not like living in an area that doesn't have them. I'm originally from NY but have lived in many different areas because my husband was in the AF for 22 years. We lived in FL (Tampa) for 4 years and after the novelty wore off, I really missed the 4 seasons, especially fall. Also, the heat and humidity can be as annoying and confining as the cold.

Look at the state tax situation, cost of housing and taxes associated with that and the political climate of the state. Every state is going to have some beautiful areas and lots of positives so concentrate on weeding out the negatives when you're making your decision.

I love where we live now. We're only 10 minutes from The People's Republic of Maryland and 20 minutes from PA to the north, and 25 minutes from Virginia to the south. The area is beautiful, convenient, 4 seasons, low property taxes, nice people, 2A friendly and for fun we can watch our Senator, Joe Manchin, jump off the fence in different directions on any given day.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

I would say Tennessee.
    Seems like everyone else is moving here.
    Great state and work is good.
    The home building market is booming right now.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Please don't take offense to this but wherever you go please don't try to change that place to be more like the northeast. Many of the yankees that move down south(FL, NC etc) tend to vote for the same people that ruined their home state. There is a reason Obama won Florida and NC the past 2 elections.

Now that we got that out of the way I think you would love any state down south. I currently live in Orlando which kinda blows. TN would be my first pick then perhaps the panhandle of Florida or somewhere else on the Gulf.

Good luck!
    OldVet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by remiaj View Post
    Hello folks! I've done my newbie post, so I guess I can ask a question now...

If I were to move away, out of the NE Tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT), what is the ideal State I can go, where:

- You are free to enjoy the liberty provided by the 2nd Amendment.
    - You are free to use your firearms to protect yourself and to use for recreation (shooting).

Maybe, this had been asked before. Pls. point me to that thread. If anyone responds, it would be nice to see a short why your state is nice to move to. Thanks.
    I spent most of my life in NJ.

Now I'm LIVING the rest of my life in Texas.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Does FL beat out PA ?

Depends on taxes(FL better). Your love for heat humidity and bugs or cold weather, rain and snow. ;-)
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drgnfly View Post
    Does FL beat out PA ?
    IMO...live in PA, vacation in FL ...that way you have the best of both worlds.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Hard choice. Most of the family is in FL, none in PA. I'm still stuck in NY for the moment.... can't figure where to head to. I figure both will have lower paying work... so I'm trying to figure it out on the fact of gun laws, and other things like living and all that.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links