Where/What State - Should I (We) Move?

This is a discussion on Where/What State - Should I (We) Move? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello folks! I've done my newbie post, so I guess I can ask a question now... If I were to move away, out of the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Where/What State - Should I (We) Move?

Hello folks! I've done my newbie post, so I guess I can ask a question now...

If I were to move away, out of the NE Tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT), what is the ideal State I can go, where:

- You are free to enjoy the liberty provided by the 2nd Amendment.
    - You are free to use your firearms to protect yourself and to use for recreation (shooting).

Maybe, this had been asked before. Pls. point me to that thread. If anyone responds, it would be nice to see a short why your state is nice to move to. Thanks.

Texas.
    ctr likes this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Florida.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Texas.
    The problem with Texas is, there is little public land to shoot or hunt on. Everything is privately owned.

Go west young man, go west. Stop before you get to Kommiefornia though.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    Handgunlaw.us
    Any state not shown in pink or red, plus Alabama.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I did my research and landed in Mississippi, but one of my requirements was declining population based on 2000 census. Overall taxes are a little steep. They get you pretty good on a new vehicle. It's hot. Land is cheap enough and so are homes.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by remiaj View Post
    Hello folks! I've done my newbie post, so I guess I can ask a question now...

If I were to move away, out of the NE Tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT), what is the ideal State I can go, where:

- You are free to enjoy the liberty provided by the 2nd Amendment.
    - You are free to use your firearms to protect yourself and to use for recreation (shooting).

Maybe, this had been asked before. Pls. point me to that thread. If anyone responds, it would be nice to see a short why your state is nice to move to. Thanks.
    IDAHO: Excerpt from Wikipedia. More there. "The landscape is rugged with some of the largest unspoiled natural areas in the United States. For example, at 2.3 million acres (9,300 km2), the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness Area is the largest contiguous area of protected wilderness in the continental United States. Idaho is a Rocky Mountain state with abundant natural resources and scenic areas. The state has snow-capped mountain ranges, rapids, vast lakes and steep canyons. The waters of the Snake River rush through Hells Canyon, the deepest gorge in the United States."

Conservative state, guns abound, usually ranked one of the top places to live, raise kids, etc., by magazines such as Forbes, Outdoor magazines, etc. Top 10 Downtowns 2012 - Boise, ID | Livability
    AR15VSCoyote and ctr like this.
    ...T. Ray

Idaho.

We've only lived in Idaho for about 1 1/2 years, but here's the gun related stuff that has happened.
    1) Someone at church put out an open invitation for anyone who wanted to come over for some shooting and a picnic. My wife and I went, there were probably about 20 people, both men and women there. There was a shotgun area and a rifle area, one guy even brought two black powder muzzle loaders. You could shoot whatever you wanted, it was a lot of fun. This place was in the middle of a 350 acre farm, which is currently not farmed. While this was going on, we heard a noise in the woods, everyone stopped shooting, and then two dogs, followed by a guy on horse back showed up. It turned out that he was a sheep herder looking for his flock.
    2) Later we were invited to a friends for dinner and shooting. After we ate, we shot a variety of guns including an AR and AK. Their house is on the side of a hill (which would be called a mountain if it was in Illinois).
    3) A different friend/relative invited us to their house for dinner. After dinner he asked if I would like to see his "man cave." Of course, I said yes. It turns out that his man cave is more like a gun shop. His main hobby is making gun stocks out of slabs of wood. He has a very large gun safe which he said someone gave in exchange for a stock he made for them.
    4) Several weeks ago, I was invited to an indoor shooting range for some practice/fun shooting.
    5) Tomorrow I have been invited to another friends house, along with about 6 others, for a demo/tutorial on how to reload.

So, that all happened in about a year and a half. Prior to living in Idaho, we lived in Illinois for almost 30 years. In all that time, nothing even close to any of this happened.
    AR15VSCoyote and ctr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Handgunlaw.us
    Any state not shown in pink or red, plus Alabama.
    Alabama is a "may issue" state, but "personal protection" is usually a good enough reason when applying for a concealed carry permit.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Places Rated Almanac for non-gun stuff

Alaska.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Tennessee
    PAPADALE1 likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Tennessee laws regarding my right to carry are the very things that keep me here. We carry open or concealed.
    PAPADALE1 likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

New Hampshire...No registration, no waiting period. Shall issue(with no class or test). Permit guaranteed in 14 days. Open carry with no license, low crime, good schools, no sales tax, no state income tax...And still pretty close to NJ

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Alabama is a "may issue" state, but "personal protection" is usually a good enough reason when applying for a concealed carry permit.
    We have some of the best gun laws in the country IMO. Open Carry? Yep. Concealed Carry? Yep. You can even carry on school grounds. And the police and citizens understand gun law and the right to defend yourself. Not only that, we understand how to defend National Championships (ROLL TIDE ANYONE?).

And I have never known a person who hasn't been given their CC permit even though we are a "may issue" state. The sheriffs departments get a lot of revenue from the sale and renewal of permits so they have a vested interest in letting people get them.
    Yogi223 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links