Reloads?

This is a discussion on Reloads? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had enough .357 and .38 special brass saved up that I could save a moderate amount after the initial investment. I certainly wont be ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Reloads?

I had enough .357 and .38 special brass saved up that I could save a moderate amount after the initial investment. I certainly wont be free and clear, but I got in at the very end of 2012 when Hornady would give you 100 fee bullets for dies, and 500 free bullets for the press which was quite a savings. I don't know if there are any similar specials now, but you never know.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Also, Lee has some scoop thingy that you can measure powder with, but I'm not even going to consider as a way to 'cheap out' because the .40 round is a high pressure round. You need to pay a lot of attention to COAL and powder charge (not that you dont' with all round) with the .40 or you risk problems you don't want.
    Thanks. Now I can go price stuff. And yeah, I was already planning on a scale. Years ago I reloaded with my cousin. He showed me a picture in one of the manuals back then what too hot of a load would do. It's stuck with me all these years. No way I'd screw around with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Hmm.

So what you all are telling me, is that if I put 6.5 grams of powder in a round, it'll be one heck of a wake-up call?
    Only for your friends coming to your wake!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have been reloading since the early 80s. Here is my advice. When the market is tight (i.e. right now) don't rush and over pay on components. Just get on the waiting list and wait it out. Within a couple of months the UPS man will pull up and Merry Christmas. By the way midwayusa.com has the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit for 103.99. Kit includes press, quick change insert, scale, powder measure, primer pocket cleaner, chamfer tool, powder funnel, case lube, primer tool system. Add some dies and shell holders along with primers, powder and bullets and you are reloding your old brass. I have not used this press, but I would. This is a lot cheaper than I got into loading. Kit is product # 423-081. midwayusa.com or 800-243-3220.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Thanks. Now I can go price stuff. And yeah, I was already planning on a scale. Years ago I reloaded with my cousin. He showed me a picture in one of the manuals back then what too hot of a load would do. It's stuck with me all these years. No way I'd screw around with that.
    Most likely your best bet will be one of the kits from Lee if you are going for a solid, yet economical, set up. It should cover everything you need minus the die set and maybe some lube.

Plenty of folks on here with tons of loading experience, so don't hesitate to ask any questions as you get started!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

You can always cast your own lead bullets, that saves me a ton of money. I can buy 100lbs of old lead wheel weights for $10 locally at a tire shop. That amount of lead will make ALOT of bullets.

I paid about $150 for my entire casting setup (lead pot, 6 cavity mold, and lee lube/size kit)

I reload .45ACP for about $2.50 a box/50. Most of that cost is primers @ 4 cents each. I get about 1400 .45's out of a pound of Titegroup.

I should also add that I could have paid for my entire setup (Dillon 550B, dies, scale, etc...) with what I saved on my last big batch of .45ACP. Saving 12 bucks a box/50 adds up pretty quickly...

Well yeah......but it really wouldn't fit in the shell.....it would spill out. Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the first thing you should buy is a Reloader's Guide. There are several to choose from, I like Lyman's. The Reloading Guide is like a cookbook for reloaders giving different ingredients for different calibers (i.e, various powder loadings paired with bullet weights). I reload common calibers (9mm, 38spl and 45acp) for about 1/2 what it costs to buy retail. Not so common calibers offer greater savings. I reload 45 Colt for about $23 per hundred. A couple boxes of 45 Colt will set you back about $100. It's a great hobby....closely related to shooting which I also enjoy a lot. Sure, there are start up costs, but once you buy the equipment you will cover the set up costs in a year or so, then you will be reloading at very economical rates.

I can buy 9mm cheaper than I can reload it
    I can't...by casting and lubing my own bullets and buying powder and primers in quantity I reload 100 380/9mm/,40,/45, for about $6...Primers .02,powder.01,bullet.02...brass free
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I just got into reloading myself. I went a little over basic though.

I bought the Hornady LNL AP progressive press- $406 shipped from Grafs
    Hornady 45acp dies- $43 Bass pro price matched Sportsmans)
    Hornady shell plate- $33 Sportsmans Warehouse
    Scale (I got a pact powder measure/scale combo) $100 backpage
    Bullet puller- (borrowed from my Uncle)
    Books- I forget the cost, but I have them on my computer
    Lyman Tumbler- $35 Backpage in Vegas
    Primers- $30 local
    Powder- $18 (Bullseye) Sportsmans. I since have a few more powders now.
    Brass- I saved what I could over the years of shooting.
    Bullets- At the gun show, Berrys $68

I think that is it, sorry getting tired.

But made my first rounds tonight. Have some fine tuning to do and am going to wait until tomorrow to get some help from my uncle, it is nice he lives close and has years of experience reloading.

So, a lot of good advice here. You can buy a kit or check Backpage for some stuff. It is always on there.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links