Just put a rifle on layaway

This is a discussion on Just put a rifle on layaway within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A few days ago I put a rifle I found at the LGS on layway. For some it may seem like it has been ruined ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By accessbob
  • 1 Post By OhioCatter
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: Just put a rifle on layaway

Distinguished Member

Just put a rifle on layaway

A few days ago I put a rifle I found at the LGS on layway. For some it may seem like it has been ruined by what a previous owner did to it. But I liked it from the minute I saw it. I've been seeing it there for the past 3 months, or so, and I have been expecting it to be gone when I finally could purchase it. But amazingly, I went in and it was still there, as if it was waiting for me. So I put it on layaway as we are getting back enough on our tax return for me to get it and my other item (Ruger SR1911 - if I can find one) when the money comes in.

It is a Winchester 94 .30WCF (30-30). It has the large loop on the lever and the loop is wrapped with leather. The rifle has had decorative studding added and I like it where purists would cringe. Anyway, I'm looking forward to being able to go pick it up in a few weeks.

EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    as long as you like it and it is getting a good home that's all that matters. Doesn't look bad, I kind of like it myself.
    accessbob likes this.

You didn't buy it to be a collectible, so if you're happy, that's great! Great gun! Let us know how it shoots. That's all that matters. I have a Win 30-30 that's dog ugly, but I've turned down offers after they've shot it.

The large loop, BTW, is great in cold weather when you have gloves on!
    accessbob likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The large loop, BTW, is great in cold weather when you have gloves on!
    That is one of the things I had thought when I first saw it.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Looks fancy! You aren't buying it for anyone else so as long as it floats your boat, good job! I live my Marlin 336, .30-30 is by all accounts a great round. How is that action as its used?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    How is that action as its used?
    Felt good to me.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I only asked as I figured it would be nice and smooth. Let us know how she shoots!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Once you get past the bling, I think you've got a winner. The Win 94 is a good solid rifle.

For the right price any gun is worth it. Who cares if its pimped out. As long as it goes BANG when you want it to and it sends the bullet in the direction you are aiming its a good gun.

Administrator
    I would not say that it was ruined. Many Native Americans decorated their firearm furniture in a likewise fashion.

But, that particular color of latigo leather wrapping does not look right on that rifle lever at all. It is a very unnatural color for traditional Western leather.

Switch it for a more appropriate color. Natural native tanned buckskin would be better especially once it begins to show use and some age.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    Just checked and my Tax Refund will be deposited on Monday (supposedly). So, I'm hoping to go pick up the rifle on Monday, IF I am not delayed again. When I purchased my Mosin M38 Carbine (my last gun shop purchase) I was delayed and had to come back 3 business days later. I got delayed on a Wednesday, and since it was a holiday on Thursday (Thanksgiving) that meant I had to wait Friday, Monday, and Tuesday and was back on Wednesday to pick it up. Hopefully that doesn't happen this time.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

That rifle is fun and practical. The longer .30-30 barrel makes for an interesting switch from the usual 20-inch carbine. Is rigged to accept a sling. Looks ready to go deer hunting. I've sorta wanted to play with a long-barreled .30-30 off and on for years. Would make the .30-30 a bit more hard hitting down range and might aid in accuracy. Tacks are fine if one likes "tack-y" decoration. Only a pun, not an aspersion.

Some other interesting items in that gun rack. Looks like an older Winchester Model '94 with a Lyman tang sight standing beside a Colt Lightening pump rifle that sports a saddle ring. A cute little Remington Model 12 pump .22 just this side of the empty slot with yet another Winchester 94 wearing a receiver sight. In the corner of the photo appear a couple of Savage 99s with pistol-grip stocks but can't tell much about them other than one is equipped with a receiver sight.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links